[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - The Madison Project - Late Night Drive Thru

The Madison Project - Late Night Drive Thru

All things Recorded A Cappella Review Board.

Postby J Fi » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:15 am

I've been lurking for a bit, I guess I'll weigh in:

To Andrew:
I haven't read many of your reviews... haven't really been following the RARB reviews so much since last spring-ish. No particular reason, just sort of fell out of the habit of reading them. I can't speak to specific instances, but what I can say will, I hope, make sense. You've been able to cite one example (or at least have chosen to cite only one example) of a time where you gave a heavily-produced song -- one song -- a good score, versus what is apparently an entire album that you've thrown under the bus. You say you can give merit where it's due, but I really think that you're going to hit this opposition you're hitting until you can show that you can be objective towards produced albums. In the meantime, if you can subtract the sometimes-annoyed stances some are taking and consider all of the things all have said from all sides -- I'm talking erasing your stance on purity as best you can and starting from scratch when it comes to reviewing -- you could learn a lot and, subsequently, groups could learn a lot from you rather than spend time being annoyed with you. I don't think you, nor any reviewer, should take a "deal with it, it's my opinions and you asked for it" stance (not saying you necessarily are, just pointing this out), but you should instead be saying "how can I help this group measure the success in their artistic vision... whatever it may be... and show them what can be done to improve upon it in the future." One last time, I admit to not being up to date on your writing, but I will say this: You don't just cause a stink out of nowhere, not even on this board. That you've been reacted to so strongly says something. It's okay to be purist, but it's not okay to be unfair to those who aren't.

To those opposed to Andrew/Yuri:
I openly admit to being on your side on the vast majority of the things you've said. That said, I think it's unfair to bicker. Not all have done it, but enough have to drag this whole review and its contributors through the e-mud. At the end of the day, even if Andrew sticks by his guns (as a purist, they may be muskets) for the rest of his days as a reviewer, it's not going to keep a well-produced track or album from getting recognition elsewhere if said track or album is deserving of it. And besides, if we were all honest with ourselves, we'd be able to say that us on the "production/compression/autotune/etc." side of the argument have something to learn from him. It might not be as grand and sweeping a gesture as his beliefs or Yuri's outspokenness would imply, but something small, something personal to each of us. Does he have some stuff to learn? It would seem so. But that doesn't necessarily mean we don't.

To Yuri:
Dude, you gotz to b chill'n out. You've had moments of properly-spoken, properly-thought-out ideas that are largely overshadowed by the times you haven't properly thought out what you were going to say. Andrew's your boy, passed the all-natural sound torch on to you so you could carry the Achordants in a similar way. I get it. I'd want to stick up for him too. But you've managed to piss people off, disrespect some, backpedal on others, and I'd bet if you were honest with yourself you'd be able to admit it's driven more by emotion than your push for purity. The bottom line is this: you've annoyed lots of peeps with those emotionally-driven moments... while it's okay to believe in something and stick by it, it's not okay to ignore other sides and drag your buddy Andrew through the mud. Stick up for him, that's cool, but if you're going to present an argument, be prepared to listen to the other side. Not just search for the holes in it, but listen. You've had some moments like that, but again, they're largely overshadowed by the moments you haven't had.

I come from the "Let's all be friends and learn from each other" school of thought. Also, that's the most I've ever used the "dragged through the mud" metaphor in one sitting. Lastly, a cappella is fun.
J Fi

Postby J Fi » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:18 am

aproximately a bergillion posts made it on the wall in the time it took me to write mine. double-you-tee-effff
J Fi

Postby phenylphenol » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:21 am

Yuri Broze
Some Guy Who Used To Do A Cappella
phenylphenol

Postby phenylphenol » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:44 am

Yuri Broze
Some Guy Who Used To Do A Cappella
phenylphenol

Postby Nick Lyons » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:47 am

Nick Lyons

-
Nick Lyons

Postby RnBMrE » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:23 pm

Matt Emery Three-time Recipient of RARB "Post of the Year" Title

RnBMrE

Postby billhare » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:20 pm

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Postby dr00bles » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Andrew DiMartino
Music Director, UNC Achordants 2005-2008
dr00bles
RARB
RARB

Postby dherriges » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Last edited by dherriges on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dherriges

Postby billhare » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:56 pm

billhare

Postby dr00bles » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:59 pm

Andrew DiMartino
dr00bles
RARB
RARB

Postby billhare » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:03 pm

billhare

Postby MPJackV » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:58 pm

MPJackV

Postby dr00bles » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Andrew DiMartino
dr00bles
RARB
RARB

Postby s.phypers » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:12 pm

Shannon Phypers Choral Director, Marlborough High School Ithaca College '07 - Current slave to BU's M.M. online degree program

s.phypers

PreviousNext

Return to RARB