[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Duke Pitchforks Disconcert

Duke Pitchforks Disconcert

All things Recorded A Cappella Review Board.

Duke Pitchforks Disconcert

Postby matthewnym » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:42 am

On behalf of the Pitchforks of Duke University, I wanted to thank Tekay, Tom, and Kevin for their time and their reviews. We are very honored to be praised by such a trio of experienced a cappella reviewers. We are even more honored to be only the second college group deserving of a 4 overall from Kevin Sawyer. :-)

We also appreciate the criticisms, and will take them to heart when beginning our next studio project in January. I found myself nodding in agreement in particular with Kevin's characterization of Disconcert as 2 EP's on the same CD. Taking the strong opinions of 16 members and distilling them into an album with one coherent vision may very well be an impossible task, but I think we've taken great strides in that area compared to our previous releases, and hope to continue to make improvements in the future.

I also want to take a moment to thank the incredible production team we worked with in creating this album. Dave Sperandio, Ed Boyer, and James Cannon all brought an overwhelming level of talent to the table in the production stage, and I think the reviews describe the results best:

"Sonically, the album is masterfully tailored."

"Production nears brilliance, especially the awesome percussion."

"...the Pitchforks benefit from some forward-thinking production, great arranging, and well-matched soloists."

Hopefully if anyone hasn't yet had a chance to purchase a copy of Disconcert, this review will encourage you to do so. We have both discs and digital downloads available on our website www.duke.edu/pitchforks . For any last minute holiday shoppers, the CD's are perfectly stocking-sized. :-)
Evan Wisser
The Pitchforks of Duke University '05-'09
Music Director '06-'09
Album Producer '07-'09
matthewnym

2 EPs vs 1 coherent album

Postby jmednikow » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:36 pm

Ever since the CD displaced the vinyl album as the medium of choice for recordings, the idea of two sides to an album has disappeared.

Yes, the two halves were disjointed, but in the old format, you could have used that to your advantage, I think. The unfortunate thing is that there is no place in today's way of presenting albums to have, say, a "Night" sid and a "Day" side, which is what Joe Jackson did with 1982's "Night and Day."

That said, lots of people, myself included, don't listen to albums in their entirety nearly so much any more, so the 2 EP thing may not be an issue to most people. After the first pass or two through an album, I tend to listen to individual songs, and it's a rare album that I just "throw a disc on the turntable" and let play. I for one had little problem with the disjointedness. (Of course, having once been a Pitchfork, I suppose I'm predisposed to liking it.)

Kudos to you, Pitchforks. When I was in the group, I lobbied for our recording to be released on a CD, and lost to the cassette tape. I guess that dates me a bit. :)

Jay A. Mednikow Harvard Din & Tonics 1985-86 Duke Pitchforks 1989-90 DeltaCappella, 2007- http://www.deltacappella.com http://www.mednikow.com (my day job)

jmednikow

Re: 2 EPs vs 1 coherent album

Postby billhare » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:58 am

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Postby colton » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:36 am

colton
RARB
RARB

Postby vocalsource » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:38 pm

The team would also like to thank the reviewers for their careful consideration of 'Disconcert'. Additionally, we'd like to be sure to recognize the efforts of Evan Wisser and Joseph Bates, both of whom were integral parts of the project.

To give you a taste of what the reviewers heard, and to celebrate a wonderful 2008 and the holiday season, we're offering "Knights Of Cydonia" for free download. The RARB reviewers called the song , , and . We're not sure which of these is most true, if any, but we do know that the track was a lot of fun to create, following Evan's vision.

Please listen for yourself, and let us know what YOU think!

vocalsource

Postby billhare » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Postby RnBMrE » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Matt Emery Three-time Recipient of RARB "Post of the Year" Title

RnBMrE

Postby matthewnym » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:53 pm

Evan Wisser
The Pitchforks of Duke University '05-'09
Music Director '06-'09
Album Producer '07-'09
matthewnym

Postby vocalsource » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:13 am

vocalsource