Rutgers Orphan Sporks -- A Little Bite of Everything

All things Recorded A Cappella Review Board.

Rutgers Orphan Sporks -- A Little Bite of Everything

Postby milkpan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 pm

I didn't see this album in the "upcoming" section, and the group never seems to have gotten a review by RARB, so it seemed like there wasn't any particularly good reason for delaying this thread.

Anyway, has anyone listened to it and had thoughts? Full disclosure: I nominated in the CARA best mixed collegiate album category, but I'm not a judge. I was pretty surprised to see the album not make it to the list of nominees--it was one of maybe three albums that stuck out in my mind as being compelling all the way through (compared with albums that start strong and end weak, or are just missing something throughout, etc).

It made me wonder--am I an outlier? Did I just happen to listen to this album after a really terrible one? Anyone heard this album?
milkpan

Postby davecharliebrown » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:31 pm

I really liked it too, and gave it a nomination vote. I especially liked their version of "Get By," and thought Ranjana Srinivasan's solo on "You Found Me" was tasty.

IMO, the lack of nomination for the album isn't because it wasn't good, but probably because the mixed collegiate category was STACKED this year -- really tough competition.
--Dave Brown

now: Mouth Off host | ICCA & CARA Judge

then: CASA president, CASAcademy director, CASA Bd of Directors | BYU Vocal Point | Noteworthy co-foun
davecharliebrown

Postby daverab » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:13 am

This is a great album!

The group of Orphansporks that recorded this album was a very very talented group of musicians and singers. The soloists on this album were the highlight for me.
Although I may be slightly biased (being an alumni of the Sporks) I'll be honest in saying Dave is right on this one - They were probably not nominated because this album was going up against some of the best Mixed Albums Ive heard in a long while.

The good news is that it looks like there will be a review of the album!
The group just hasn't sent the CDs in as of today -

http://rarb.org/reviews/921.html

Get a copy, give it a listen, and decide yourself!

Can't wait to hear the next album they put out!!!
David Rabizadeh
Director, ICCA

Founder
Rutgers Casual Harmony

Rutgers Orphansporks 02'-07'
daverab

Postby wscheck » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:58 am

In my opinion, the CD is phenomenal. The arrangements combined with the amazing soloists make the it not only a great cd, but a very easy listen. I can listen to the cd several times through without getting even remotely bored. My favorite track has to be "Take me home." Fantastic background with a powerhouse solo.

Ranjana's solo on the cd is great but nothing compares to seeing and hearing her do it live. It's incredible.

Side note- this is not just my Rutgers pride shining through ha.
wscheck

Postby billhare » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:39 pm

Like I have mentioned before on this forum - there have been MANY great albums that have been passed over in their own time. We were talking about the Beach Boys' masterpiece "Pet Sounds" in another thread on this forum over the last couple days - one of the most appreciated pop albums of all time now, but met weak sales and tepid reviews when it was released. Sometimes it just takes everyone a bit of time to catch up! Other albums might make a HUGE splash in their time, but be forgotten very soon after. Still others are just...ok...and are still played on the radio 30 years later - still just...ok.

It goes all ways! :-)

-B

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments. http://www.dyz.com

billhare

Postby mcbc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Two cents on a dead thread ...

I'm just glad that the RU groups are putting out better and better albums. The latest Sporks and the CasH albums (5 CARA noms, ego boost much?) have really raised the bar.

And the fact that people are even talking about RU albums really makes me happy. And it's a nice lil' case study for any school which feels they don't get enough acronym love (RARB, CARA, BOCA, etc. etc.) It'll happen -- you just first have to put out good music.
mcbc

Postby davecharliebrown » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:12 pm

A dead thread? It just began two days ago.
--Dave Brown

now: Mouth Off host | ICCA & CARA Judge

then: CASA president, CASAcademy director, CASA Bd of Directors | BYU Vocal Point | Noteworthy co-foun
davecharliebrown

Postby milkpan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:50 am

My point wasn't that there weren't a lot of really good albums--but I was really surprised because I thought this was one of three shoo-ins (followed by five or six albums, any of which I would not have been surprised to see nominated).

I guess I wished everyone else had shared my opinion and nominated it! But I'm just happy to know I wasn't totally crazy.
milkpan

Return to RARB