[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - In the Pink - By Any Other Name

In the Pink - By Any Other Name

All things Recorded A Cappella Review Board.

In the Pink - By Any Other Name

Postby Nick Lyons » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:59 pm

Nick Lyons

-
Nick Lyons

Postby dekesharon » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:23 pm

- Deke Sharon • 800.579.9305 • http://www.dekesharon.com

dekesharon

Postby davecharliebrown » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:49 pm

--Dave Brown

now: Mouth Off host | ICCA & CARA Judge

then: CASA president, CASAcademy director, CASA Bd of Directors | BYU Vocal Point | Noteworthy co-foun
davecharliebrown

Postby billhare » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Postby clyxz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:31 pm

clyxz

Postby mwhitehouse » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Gettysburg College Four Scores, MD ('06-'09)
Phillips Exeter Academy Exeteras ('02-'05)

I transcribe/arrange for Deke (and others) but am NOT PUNCTUAL: I'm a bio/neuro major.
mwhitehouse

Postby Ed Boyer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:46 am

Ed Boyer

Postby adune55 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:54 pm

Ed - Hey, thanks for the clarification. You're right that what I was hearing is actually called a "yod," which is a term I was previously unfamilar with.

However, in my defence, according to Diction for Singers (the text I was taught out of freshman year) a glide is "characterized by a movement of the articulators from from one position to another. The glides in English are [r], the y sound [j], and [w]." Therefore, when I heard the 'y' sound added to the word "knew," I assumed that it was just an innapropriate insertion of the [j] glide. I wasn't aware that there was a term more specific to the dialect and context. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

PS: Suzie, I think MC and Ed pretty much covered it. Please let me know if you'd like me to try and clarify anything else. I hope the review was otherwise helpful for you. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Robert
adune55
RARB
RARB

Postby clyxz » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:11 am

I have to be honest, if you'd said 'yod' rather than '[j] glide', I'd have been just as clueless!

I suppose it doesn't help that us Oxford folks spend most of our lives surrounded by so-called 'rahs' (people who think that 'sex' is something you put coal in and that 'yes' is pronounced 'ears') cos, y'know, that kind of spoken English is catching. I used to have a fine West Country accent...

I think I understood everything else in the reviews, thanks! Just a question of figuring out how to fix these things! Sadly outside direction isn't a option for the group (unless we found someone willing to work for freeeeeee!) but but but ootb's MD (who is awesome) is going to come and work with the group on an arrangement he's written (yes written especially for ITP! (it might possibly be pink-related...))

As for my own recording skills... well, S2N gave me a pretty good idea of what I need to do there! Hopefully the next stuff you guys get from me will be muuuuch better... hopefully...
clyxz

Postby Ed Boyer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:04 am

Sorry, Rob. That wasn't meant to be a call-out. It's just that I spent so much time in those damn Diction classes and I so rarely get to use anything I learned there....unlike that Introduction to Astronomy class I took that proves to be more and more useful every day of my life.
Ed Boyer

Postby rebecca » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:39 am

rebecca
RARB
RARB

Postby clyxz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:14 am

clyxz

Postby Mnemosyne » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 am

Alex Green
A Cappella recording and production
Boston A Cappella '10-'11
The '06-'10 | Music Director '09