[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - The Harmonics: "Escape Velocity"

The Harmonics: "Escape Velocity"

All things Recorded A Cappella Review Board.

Postby rebecca » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:09 am

rebecca
RARB
RARB

Postby julia hoffman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:20 am

~Julia

President, Director, CARA and ACA awards Exec Producer, SING Compilation Judge, ICCA, SoJam, etc. West Producer, ICCA 2003-2005 Stanford Harmonics 1999-2003

julia hoffman

Postby s.phypers » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks Julia! I really enjoyed reading that article, especially the idea that people have such a problem with auto-tune because of the personal connection to the human voice. This argument certainly holds true to me, but then again, the only other instrument I play is piano, which I often want to throw out of a window... not quite the same personal connection there...

I think auto-tune is a great tool, but is abused very often - for example, in another post in the forum the discussion has been the blatant use of it in last weeks episode of Glee. Why auto tune Lea Michelle, who has a fantastic voice and can definitely hit those notes, instead of making her sing it correctly? Because it's easier to fix her with the program than it is to sit through the 15 takes till she gets it right. I worry about this, especially since I've opted for the easy fix myself - is auto-tune just promoting poor singing and laziness on the part of the engineer? That's extreme, but in a way, I think it's true.

Sorry I know that this was a bit of a diversion from the topic at hand. I haven't heard the Harmonics album yet but I look forward to giving it a listen!

Shannon Phypers Choral Director, Marlborough High School Ithaca College '07 - Current slave to BU's M.M. online degree program

s.phypers

Postby Ed Boyer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Ed Boyer

Postby mrmiller » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Ed: agreed. At the same time, I feel like most groups don't get to see their vocals tuned into workable shape so they miss out on that experience. But I do agree with you--recording and tuning myself was the best thing that ever happened to my singing (not that that's saying much, but it was certainly much worse before!).

MIT Logarhythms '05-'09, Music Director '08, CD Manager '08

mrmiller

Postby billhare » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Re: The Harmonics: "Escape Velocity"

Postby vandre » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:28 pm

vandre

Postby vandre » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:28 pm

vandre

Postby vandre » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:29 pm

vandre

Postby vandre » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:30 pm