Clef Hangers- Twist

All things Recorded A Cappella Review Board.

Postby autumnshades » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:55 pm

ThunderCurl wrote:should the number reflect the opinion of the reviewer or how the album might sit with the public?

Tyler brings up a really good point here. It's really interesting choice to ponder, and something that I know a lot of writers wrestle with. There are plenty of albums that I've had to write about (beyond RARB! just so you guys don't go back and re-read my archives ;) that I've given a positive review to because I can find in it (and describe) the qualities that I know a lot of people will like, even if it's not something that i necessarily like or would listen to myself. I'd be interested in other thoughts on this from other readers' perspectives-- how do you use music reviews, here on RARB or elsewhere? do you read reviews as buyers' guides or as opinion pieces? &c.

Catherine Lewis freelance writer & photographer http://www.autumnshades.com

autumnshades
RARB
RARB

Postby davecharliebrown » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:32 am

autumnshades wrote:
DaveCharlieBrown wrote:Speaking as one who reviews albums nearly weekly, I'll say sometimes this whole context is alarming. The possibility that I'll get it "wrong" leaves me worried. But only temporarily... because the honest truth is that you can only give your own, best informed, opinion. Just say what you think, and let the chips fall where they may.

And the other part of this, which Dave doesn't mention (but surely has come across) is that when you get up to the point of reviewing an album per week (or, in my case, very often more than that), you often have to listen and form an opinion very quickly in order to turn the review around.

YES. THAT.

The other thing that makes it tough is that after you do form an opinion, you're supposed to express that opinion in an articulated, educational, even entertaining way. Plus, you're given a limit (whether a word limit here on RARB or a time limit on Mouth Off) so you also are forced to leave out comments that you'd like to express.

I don't mean for any of this to come off whiny. I love hearing and seeing and thinking about and critiquing a cappella. It's just something to keep in mind when reading reviews.
--Dave Brown

now: Mouth Off host | ICCA & CARA Judge

then: CASA president, CASAcademy director, CASA Bd of Directors | BYU Vocal Point | Noteworthy co-foun
davecharliebrown

Postby kevin47 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:19 pm

Still interested in clips... Would like to hear them... If possible...
Kevin Sawyer
Claremont Shades
('97-'01)
kevin47
RARB
RARB

Previous

Return to RARB