Sing Six track list?

All things Recorded A Cappella Review Board.

Sing Six track list?

Postby jmille22 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:55 am

I bought Sing Six a good six months ago (it was necessary) and have a 22-track album, not a 19-track album. In addition to those listed in today's review, I also have:

20. RPI Rusty Pipes - For the Widows In Paradise, For the Fatherless In Ypsilanti
21. Six13 - Im Eshkachech
22. Stanford Harmonics - Spiel Mit Mir

That's what I see today on the Amazon page I downloaded the album from all that time ago. Is there any reason these tracks weren't included on the pressed disc? They're all excellent and "Im Eshkachech" is INCREDIBLE—Mike Boxer's arrangement is wonderful and Justin Rosenblum's lead makes me so jealous I want to cry. This may or may not be related to him holding an extended C2 to end the song.

...ANYWAY, anyone have any info on why these tracks weren't reviewed? Just curious.

Jay Miller
University of Rochester Alum
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
B.S. '08/M.S. '09
www.shminaminoo.com
After Hours Co-Ed A Cappella
Business Manager '05-'08
Member '05-'09
www.URAfterHours.net
www.youtube.com/URAfterHours

jmille22

Re: Sing Six track list?

Postby Mnemosyne » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:13 am

I'm guessing it's because these were download-only bonus tracks and not included on the physical album. RARB guidelines state that we review anything on the physical album including hidden tracks. Those three aren't on the physical copy because they wouldn't have fit on a 700MB CD! In fact, the discerning listener will realize an entire verse and chorus was trimmed from the version of Hyannis Sound's "Foreplay / Longtime" off On The Clock in order to accomodate the rest of the music.

Also, I feel obligated to note this:

jmille22 wrote:They're all excellent and "Im Eshkachech" is INCREDIBLE—Mike Boxer's arrangement is wonderful and Justin Rosenblum's lead makes me so jealous I want to cry. This may or may not be related to him holding an extended C2 to end the song.

This is actually Michael Friedland, formerly of the Tufts Amalgamates, making a guest appearance on lead. If you think that's impressive, you should hear him blast a C5.
Alex Green
Plaid Productions A Cappella recording and production
Overboard Boston A Cappella '10-'11
The Tufts Amalgamates '06-'10 | Music Director '09
Ricky RARB and the 4 x 4s January 2009

Ricky RARB is crabby.
Mnemosyne
RARB
RARB

Postby jmille22 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:49 am

Thanks for all that, Alex. I never thought to check track times.

Man, I had no idea it was a guest solo... the download has no liner notes so I went off the group site and made a best-guess. ><

Jay Miller
University of Rochester Alum
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
B.S. '08/M.S. '09
www.shminaminoo.com
After Hours Co-Ed A Cappella
Business Manager '05-'08
Member '05-'09
www.URAfterHours.net
www.youtube.com/URAfterHours

jmille22

Postby julia hoffman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 am

Alex is partially right -- we could have filled 3 discs with the amazing Sing-worthy music we got last year but alas, were hindered by technical realities. I decided to request a Sing edit of Foreplay/Longtime because I felt that the original cut of the track was longer than it needed to be, with all other considerations aside (like the overall album length). I still prefer the Sing edit of that song to the original submission, but maybe that's just me.

But back to the [lack of review of] bonus tracks: beyond album length constraints, the other issue is that Sing became free for all CASA members last year for the first time (as it will continue to be when each new installment comes out). We wanted to build in a special reward for our members and came up with the bonus track idea. In the end, a goof up on my part meant that everyone who bought on Amazon/iTunes got those three extra tracks as well. That won't happen in the future.

Personally, I wish the reviewers had reviewed the three bonus tracks as well, since I think all three are worthy of comment :-)

~Julia

President, Contemporary A cappella Society (CASA) Director, CARA and ACA awards Exec Producer, SING Compilation Judge, ICCA, SoJam, etc. West Producer, ICCA 2003-2005 Stanford Harmonics 1999-2003

julia hoffman

Postby billhare » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Mnemosyne wrote:In fact, the discerning listener will realize an entire verse and chorus was trimmed from the version of Hyannis Sound's "Foreplay / Longtime" off On The Clock in order to accomodate the rest of the music.

Yup - I think I trimmed sections out of 3 or 4 songs to make it all fit!

-B

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments. http://www.dyz.com

billhare

Return to RARB