UMass Dynamics- Barking Mad review/ "energy" in recordings?

All things Recorded A Cappella Review Board.

Re: UMass Dynamics- Barking Mad review/ "energy" in recordin

Postby Christian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 am

Contemporary a cappella is an ensemble art. When you isolate each singer to get the "best" performance, you have just removed one of the most important aspects of a cappella -- the ensemble. There is no longer an integral relationship or interaction between the singers. Additionally, current a cappella studio productions techniques can easily sap the nuances (yes, even imperfections) of pitch and dynamics that give character, power, and individuality to your performance.

If you want an album with energy and emotion, record together as an ensemble. This is standard practice with classical vocal ensembles, and it is also found frequently in the jazz and folk community.

Does the recording actually sound like the you, the Dynamics?
Christian

Postby jmille22 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33 am

That runs contrary to editability because acoustic isolation is the only real way to get tracks you can do something with. I also strongly disagree with you that ensemble recording is the True Way to get energy and emotion into your songs. Would you say that any of the top a cappella recording groups' albums lack either of those things? I think not. And they all record each voice in an acoustically isolated manner (be it separate takes or simply separate rooms).

You raise a very important artistic question: Does the recording group care more about sounding like their stage selves or sounding like their best possible selves? Personally, I'm going to err on the side of making sure I'm in tune. Live music is awesome in person, but it's generally awful when robbed of half the experience and forced through home speakers.

Jay Miller
University of Rochester Alum
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
B.S. '08/M.S. '09
www.shminaminoo.com
After Hours Co-Ed A Cappella
Business Manager '05-'08
Member '05-'09
www.URAfterHours.net
www.youtube.com/URAfterHours

jmille22

Postby Locrian » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:54 am

I would say keeping "just ahead" of the beat so to speak that gives beat driven songs that drive forward. Also, having character and emotion to your voice will add a deapth of intrigue to your music that turns a performance from a medley of voices, into an artists' performance, if you will. Your music can't truely effect your whole audiance, if it doesn't effect your performers. If they can relate and express something of themselves through the music selected, then this will become a whole lot easier. That's just my two cents. If all else fails, i suppose you could just change the batteries.
Luke Garcia
Composer/Performer 
Locrian

Postby itemswow369 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:13 pm

Ivan came home with a bloody nose and his mother asked, "What happened?"
"A kid bit me," replied Ivan.
"Would you recognize him if you saw him again?" asked his mother.
"I'd know him anywhere," said Ivan. "I have his ear in my pocket."
itemswow369

Previous

Return to RARB