Duke Rhythm & Blue - House on Fire

All things Recorded A Cappella Review Board.

Duke Rhythm & Blue - House on Fire

Postby RnBMrE » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:51 am

So stinkin' proud of my former group. They busted their butts to make this album special and excellent. Thanks to all the reviewers for your kind words and critiques.

I'll point out something I found curious and suprising: Kimmie has reviewed each of our past three albums, and she gave all of them a 4 overall. Man, is "With the Windows Down" really on the same level with this most recent album? I don't think it is. I think the rest of her review certainly reflects that, but I found that piece odd.

Perhaps the former is a "3.5" 4 and the new one is a "4.4" 4? :)

Matt Emery CASA Director of Communications Three-time Recipient of RARB "Post of the Year" Title

RnBMrE

Re: Duke Rhythm & Blue - House on Fire

Postby michaelmarcus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:26 am

RnBMrE wrote:Man, is "With the Windows Down" really on the same level with this most recent album? I don't think it is.

You're probably right. Remember, the scores represent a comparison with all a cappella recordings currently available at the time the album was reviewed. If your work today is comparable to your work from 2006, then you haven't done much learning or growing over the last five years.

A better way to look at this would be to infer that the quality of R&B's work over the years has remained consistent, and probably even improved. Far from resting on the laurels of their previous accomplishments, they continue to push themselves to put out a good product--and this is to be commended.

Michael Marcus [@michaelmarcus]

Founder & Creative Director, Uncommon Technical Director, RARB

michaelmarcus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uscpossum » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks to Michael for answering precisely as I would have answered. R&B keeps pumping out hits! When do I get my fourth album? :)
Kimberly Raschka Sailor
RARB Editor-in-Chief
ICCA/ICHSA Adjudicator
uscpossum
RARB
RARB

Postby kevinqian » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:57 pm

I know this is an old thread but it's my first post ever and I want to express my opinions on this album and Rhythm & Blue in general - As a perc. recording geek, I really appreciated how the review gave credit to Peter Park's perc loops on The Sun, and the tasty VP on Love the way you lie and Closer. To go along with Matt's point about the consistency of the score of 4 in each RARB review. RnB's Punch a Higher Floor was the first a cappella album I ever heard as a junior in high school and Matt, your perc on the opening track Crazy is how I learned VP. Now obviously With the Windows Down and Punch a Higher Floor are in no way as produced and shiny as House on Fire. But Punch a Higher Floor was great for its time, and the passion in the solos in Crazy, PromiscuBack, and that Prince song is just as great as that in house on Fire, minus the effects of modern time. I still get a rush of nostalgia everytime I listen to Punch a Higher Floor. It may not have crazy sampled perc loops, or heavily distorted voices, but I love this group and I love their albums...that is all :)
[color=#8000FF][color=#8000FF][color=#4000BF][color=#80BF80]Kevin Qian

High school senior/arranger/vocal percussion/baritone
kevinqian

Postby kevinqian » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:02 pm

also - I don't know why my signature's not showing below but I'm currently a newbie in UChicago's Voices In Your Head, another terrific co-ed group
[color=#8000FF][color=#8000FF][color=#4000BF][color=#80BF80]Kevin Qian

High school senior/arranger/vocal percussion/baritone
kevinqian

Return to RARB