Nervous...but I need input

Help each other out! Serious critiques only.
Forum rules
This is for serious critiques only. If you post your work here, be aware that you may encounter negative feedback. Please keep all discussions constructive and civilized. No flaming!

Postby MattRyd » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:38 pm

PHollens wrote:I think he's just saying the melody/harmony that I think your going for in your rough mix is extremely close to that of Moondance..... ala :40-:52 etc....in your original piece.

This is what I was wondering about when I asked about a sampled chorus melody. I know how much it sucks when you work on a song and suddenly some jerk comes along and says: "Oh, wow, that sounds exactly like {insert popular song here}!" and I didn't want to pull that on you.

Now that it has been brought up, though... It might behoove you to change up that melody a little bit to avoid this in the future. And please don't take this as any sort of slight or insult, because it happens to every songwriter. I once inadvertently rewrote the theme from "Hook." :-P

MattRyd.com | Fun, catchy music.  With an extra dash of Awesome.

Alum of Northwestern University's Purple Haze (2007)

MattRyd

Postby GenesisPhreak » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:18 pm

ill figure it out in due time, but this is why i posted the song in the first place so thanks for all the input so far and I welcome any further comments. not a snobby artist, I just want to write the best music I can.
Ahren Okamoto

Ahren (Solo Rock A Cappella 2008-?)
NINE (02-03)
Off The Top (Celebrity Cruise Lines Feb-July 04)
Underground Sound(2004-2005)
2005 & 2006 CARA Nominator
2005 NCHSA Judge
GenesisPhreak

Postby phollens » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:24 pm

MattRyd wrote:
PHollens wrote:I think he's just saying the melody/harmony that I think your going for in your rough mix is extremely close to that of Moondance..... ala :40-:52 etc....in your original piece.

This is what I was wondering about when I asked about a sampled chorus melody. I know how much it sucks when you work on a song and suddenly some jerk comes along and says: "Oh, wow, that sounds exactly like {insert popular song here}!" and I didn't want to pull that on you.

Now that it has been brought up, though... It might behoove you to change up that melody a little bit to avoid this in the future. And please don't take this as any sort of slight or insult, because it happens to every songwriter. I once inadvertently rewrote the theme from "Hook." :-P

If you don't want constructive critism, he wouldn't have posted. Better to be upfront and honest if someone wants to improve their craft. Ahren's an adult he wants real feedback.
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Postby GenesisPhreak » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:39 pm

true, but i do appreciate his effort to be discreet none the less. I will say that I have a very thick skin and can take any constructive criticism. Just stay away from the fat jokes and we'll be all good.
Ahren Okamoto

Ahren (Solo Rock A Cappella 2008-?)
NINE (02-03)
Off The Top (Celebrity Cruise Lines Feb-July 04)
Underground Sound(2004-2005)
2005 & 2006 CARA Nominator
2005 NCHSA Judge
GenesisPhreak

Previous

Return to Critique Room