Ben Folds a cappella CD

Help each other out! Serious critiques only.
Forum rules
This is for serious critiques only. If you post your work here, be aware that you may encounter negative feedback. Please keep all discussions constructive and civilized. No flaming!

Postby iajaner » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:13 pm

thebriz wrote:Beyond that, he has no introduced a whole slew of his fans to this genre of music. Its people who may have never picked up an a cappella CD prior to hearing it. Now - how many of those people have gone on to become fans?

The old adage is "any press is good press".

I don't think any press is good press necessarily. Frankly, the album sounds weak enough, with enough tuning issues and weak soloists, to turn people off in my opinion. Even though I have my own thoughts and feelings about the Sing Off, I think that the Sing Off has actually been great for a cappella. The Ben Folds CD is so far below par that it does us no justice.

Furthermore, I'm a little confused as to why we feel that a cappella needs more press. A cappella has gotten so much of it over the last few years, and so many people are involved in a cappella, that I don't feel that more exposure is necessary. Maybe this is the wrong forum to express that view, but despite the fact that I'm one of the most a cappella-obsessed people at Yale, it seems to me that a cappella doesn't need more exposure so I'm not really into welcoming press that I think is sub-par.
Ian Janer

Mixed Company of Yale
www.mixedco.net
The Yale Whiffenpoofs
www.whiffenpoofs.com
iajaner

Postby billhare » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:18 pm

gumpster2010 wrote:The Ben Folds CD is so far below par that it does us no justice.

Read the reviews from outside the community, though. 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon, etc. The reviews from non-AcaCommunity people (i.e. 99.9999999999999999% of the world) don't know that they are "not supposed to be impressed" (according to us) with this album, but seem to love the concept. If it encourages them to start digging around, that's only for the good.

I know I've been vocal about the way it was done, but I definitely see the positive side of it as well. No matter what I personally think about it, the numbers don't lie!

gumpster2010 wrote:Furthermore, I'm a little confused as to why we feel that a cappella needs more press. A cappella has gotten so much of it over the last few years, and so many people are involved in a cappella, that I don't feel that more exposure is necessary. Maybe this is the wrong forum to express that view, but despite the fact that I'm one of the most a cappella-obsessed people at Yale, it seems to me that a cappella doesn't need more exposure so I'm not really into welcoming press that I think is sub-par.

There are a few of us here who have been working hard for this day since before any of the current batch of collegiate singers were born. People such as Yale's own Don Gooding would be saddened by such a comment. I've never seen anyone quite as busy as Deke Sharon has been for the last 6 months, not so much for his own gain, but making sure these new opportunities for A Cappella in general are given their best shot - this is why he started CASA 2 decades ago.

And don't get me started on how the CASA Board itself has been working tirelessly, without pay or other personal gain (I'm by far the "slackiest" member of the board - these people make me tired just watching them...)

If some of these people decided that A Cappella didn't need any "more" 10 or 20 years ago, I don't think any of us would be here... :-)

-B

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments. http://www.dyz.com

billhare

Postby thebriz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:02 pm

There are a few of us here who have been working hard for this day since before any of the current batch of collegiate singers were born. People such as Yale's own Don Gooding would be saddened by such a comment. I've never seen anyone quite as busy as Deke Sharon has been for the last 6 months, not so much for his own gain, but making sure these new opportunities for A Cappella in general are given their best shot - this is why he started CASA 2 decades ago.

And don't get me started on how the CASA Board itself has been working tirelessly, without pay or other personal gain (I'm by far the "slackiest" member of the board - these people make me tired just watching them...)

If some of these people decided that A Cappella didn't need any "more" 10 or 20 years ago, I don't think any of us would be here... :-)

Amen. And this is why this is such an amazing community to be a part of. I have gotten so much volunteer help because of the good people who care about this art and want to see it grow.

I guess much of what I am saying comes from the voice of someone who is first an avid fan of a cappella music, but also that of a high school teacher. I can tell you that contemporary a cappella has JUST started to really blossom at the high school level. Imagine what college groups would be like if there were kids coming to audition who had already been writing arrangements, practicing vocal percussion, learning mic technique, etc. for four years of high school!?

How much better would the life of an a cappella group be if they were receiving extra funding from their university because the people in charge new what a valuable asset you were to their campus?

A Cappella DEFINITLY needs more press and thanks to a lot of hard working people its starting to get it.

Brad Pierson
Choral Director, Desert Oasis High School
Director, Las Vegas A Cappella Summit
thebriz

Postby streetnix04 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:15 am

thebriz wrote:Imagine what college groups would be like if there were kids coming to audition who had already been writing arrangements, practicing vocal percussion, learning mic technique, etc. for four years of high school!?

You mean if there were hundreds or thousands of Robert Dietzs running around?!? Yikes! ;-)
-Corey Slutsky
Voices Only Founder
Former Collegiate and Professional A cappella Performer '97-'05
www.voicesonlyacappella.com
streetnix04
RARB
RARB

Previous

Return to Critique Room