Garnering Interest

In “theory”, you could “arrange” to have your discussions here.

Garnering Interest

Postby Kevo91 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:44 am

Hello, fellow Aca-people!
My name is Kevin, and I'm in the process of starting a new collegiate all-male a cappella group at my university.
The process began earlier this year with a guy no longer in the group. We started out with about 8-10 guys, and now only five of us remain (due to the fact that we're the only ones dedicated).
We consist of 3 Tenors (one of which is our vocal percussion for the time being), 1 Baritone, and 1 Bass.
In the hopes of garnering new interest, we intend on putting on a performance for a few fellow students after the first of the year (during a choir rehearsal). After that, we intend to take the song elsewhere on campus.
Being the head arranger, I'm finding it difficult to arrange for such a small group.
Our advertising song is P!nk's "F**kin' Perfect."
Being an instrumentalist, arranging for vocals is fairly new to me, but I think I've just about got the hang of it. I've figured the best way to arrange for 4 vocals/1 percussion is to make tightly woven chords on most of the lyrics, with smart wordplay in the backing areas, as well as transitioning the solo line to each singer.
My question is, how did you guys get attention? How did you get singers? We're really struggling with this.
I've gone no-nonsense on this song and it's rehearsals: I've told them they only get sections of the song at a time until said sections are flawless. We have to show people that we're serious about what we do, but at the same time the group is for singers who are looking for a bit more relaxed atmosphere.
As soon as I finish the arrangement I'll post the score/MIDI for other to take a look at it for input/suggestions.
Thank you so much,
Kevin (99 Problems A Cappella)
Kevo91

Re: Garnering Interest

Postby ceegers » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:13 am

Kevo91 wrote:My question is, how did you guys get attention? How did you get singers? We're really struggling with this.

Flyers all over! Maybe some word of mouth too...

C.J. Smith Hempfield HS R# founder/director 03-05 U. of Hartford Hawkapella 05-09 Currently doing many musical things that do not include a cappella groups :-( :-(

ceegers

Postby michaelmarcus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:41 am

Why not stay small and reinvent yourselves? Be the pro-style group on campus that focuses on musicality and performance (it sounds like you're halfway there already). Besides, I think it's far better to have 5 fully dedicated guys in a group than 10+ that are half-assing it. IMO, we have far too many of the latter type of group in the college scene, and not nearly enough of the former.

Failing that, you could always go co-ed. :)

Michael Marcus [@michaelmarcus]

Founder & Creative Director, Uncommon Technical Director, RARB

michaelmarcus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kath » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:58 am

The Nylons on album Four on the Floor. Actually come to think of it, that was a live album, not a studio album. But I think it's the only recording I have.
kathi
kath

Return to Vocal Music