Quoting the Cincinnati Reds‘ longtime play-

Got something to say?

Quoting the Cincinnati Reds‘ longtime play-

Postby panxing18 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:39 pm

CINCINNATI (AP) — by-play announcer http://www.metsfanproshop.com/authentic-tim-tebow-jersey , the Ohio Supreme Court declared Tuesday that “this one belongs to the Reds.”The state’s high court ruled 5-2 that the Major League Baseball franchise is exempt from paying tax on the purchase of bobbleheads and other promotional items the team offers to ticket buyers.The opinion written by Justice Patrick Fischer warned that the ruling was specific to the case and might not apply for other sports organizations.But the Department of Taxation’s chief legal counsel, Matt Chafin, said the decision essentially shows professional teams how to avoid the “use tax” on promotional items.Reds spokesman Rob Butcher said the club is “happy with the outcome,” but is still reviewing the opinion.The department argued the bobbleheads should be taxed because they’re bought by the Reds as giveaways, not sold with tickets. The Reds argued they’re exempt because they resell the items as part of the ticket package and Ohio law exempts companies from paying tax on items they buy for resale.Fischer, a Cincinnati resident, led off the opinion with a long summary of Ohio’s role in baseball histo Reds use a contraption nicknamed “Redzilla” to fire free T-shirts into the crowd) that fans have no expectation of receiving, they buy tickets for games that have been advertised as bobblehead games expecting to get the bobbleheads, which last season included All-Stars Joey Votto and Eugenio Suarez.“We accordingly conclude that the promotion items constituted things of value in exchange for which fans paid money that was included in the ticket prices,” the opinion stated.After quoting Reds’ broadcaster Marty Brennaman’s signature “this one belongs to the Reds,” Fischer also quoted Brennaman’s late broadcasting partner, Joe Nuxhall Travis d'Arnaud Jersey , saying the justices were “rounding third and heading for home.”Dissenting Justice Mary DeGenaro wrote that the Reds were escaping sales tax or use tax on promotional items that generally apply to similar purchases. She pointed out that the Reds often limit the promotional items, such as free to the first 30,000 fans.She said a Reds official had testified that the Reds would “make accommodations” to remedy the situation, up to offering refunds to fans who complain about missing out. PEORIA, Ariz. (AP) — Sonny Gray’s delayed debut for the Cincinnati Reds was a success.Gray pitched two scoreless innings in his first spring training appearance Saturday night against the San Diego Padres. The 29-year-old right-hander, who was acquired in an offseason trade with the New York Yankees, was supposed to get into a gam handing over a new contract after the trade that added $30.5 million from 2020-22 and includes a 2023 club option.“To come away with no runs and no walks, I’m very pleased,” Gray said. “Where we were a week and a half ago, to now, it’s good and I feel really good moving forward.”He showed no signs of any health issues against San Diego, mixing in fastballs and breaking pitches in his first game since last September http://www.metsfanproshop.com/authentic-tim-tebow-jersey , when he was mopping up for the Yankees.The former first-round pick from Vanderbilt finished the season with a 4.90 ERA and was not included on New York’s postseason roster, capping an unhappy 1 1/2 seasons in the Bronx after being acquired from the Oakland Athletics.On Saturday, at least, everything seemed just fine with Gray.“I threw a couple (high fastballs) up there. I was able to throw the curveball,” Gray said. “I had some swings and misses in the zone. That’s a good indicator on the effectiveness and the sharpness of your pitches.”
panxing18

Return to General Chat