[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - A Cappella Innovations

A Cappella Innovations

Got something to say?

Postby kevin47 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:34 am

Kevin Sawyer
Claremont Shades
('97-'01)
kevin47
RARB
RARB

Postby whataboutrob » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:42 am

whataboutrob

Postby Mark Vicente » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:29 am

Mark Vicente

Re: A Cappella Innovations

Postby dekesharon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:03 am

- Deke Sharon • 800.579.9305 • http://www.dekesharon.com

dekesharon

Postby sahjahpah » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:18 am

sahjahpah

Postby appbigcountry » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:21 am

Cult or not a cult. That is the question.

Well, not really. I don't really care how you classify it. Here's what I've gathered about NXIVM.

Keith Raniere is a man. He invented some scientific and mathmatic formula that helps people with their lives. People get this special (and apparently valuable) information by entering the Executive Success Program. As of this point, I haven't been able to find a price anywhere on their websites. I think I saw somewhere that it was around $7,000? I'm probably wrong on that.

NXIVM is supposed to have made millions of dollars, but Keith doesn't take any of it. Where does it all go?

And, I'm sorry, I don't mean to be demeaning here, but do people really refer to him as "Vanguard?" That's just a little weird. According to other threads around here, maybe "Grand Poo-Bah" would be a little more accepted.

And really, we can stop attacking this Rick Ross guy, Rick Roll, whatever his name is. I could care less about him. The "we're right because he's wrong," approach didn't work in third grade, it's not working now.

Here's what it comes down to for me. I'm a Christian. To some that may take away any credibility I have, to others it may add some. I don't really care. I randomly quote Caddyshack in a serious discussion. How much can I really have anyway?

But back to the point, being a Christian, I just have a difficult time taking something seriously when an organization and its members follow a man and his teachings that he came up with.

So, I don't really care if it's a cult or not. Though it does seem to tie in fairly easily with scientology in that it's a following (and belief system?) that some guy came up with. A guy that, according to one of his friends on here, sometimes doesn't play volleyball very well!

Sorry, for all the joking around, but I'm just having a hard time taking all of this serious now. Everyone is free to do what they want, but as for me, if NXIVM is involved, I'm going to walk to the other side of the street and just keep on going.
Matt King
Appalachian State Higher Ground 2003-2007
www.asuhigherground.com
www.myspace.com/apphigherground
appbigcountry

Postby thatwesguy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:06 am

"But back to the point, being a Christian, I just have a difficult time taking something seriously when an organization and its members follow a man and his teachings that he came up with. "

On the Internet, no one can see the tongue in your cheek. ;-)
thatwesguy

Postby playdeep » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:24 am

Kurt Walker
playdeep

Postby AMalkoff » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:25 am

Deke:

I am appreciative of your kind but persistent probing here. I think it's important. I personally would love to find out, ultimately, that Keith and NXIVM are simply the victims of lots of bad and erroneous press. There's no reason for us a community to WANT to dredge up negative information about an organization that seems genuinely interested in promoting vocal music. What purpose would that serve?

That said, I have to disagree with the people who are of the "c'mon now, every organization is a cult!" mind. That's a smokescreen. Everything is NOT a cult, and even the word "cult", as has been said here several times, doesn't mean or define much. And no organization that operates in a cult-like fashion has EVER called itself such. Doing a deep web search of Keith and NXIVM results in this: NXIVM's own sites and sites for places where they teach or...work their programs, all the Rick Ross stuff, and lots and lots of negative information at various levels of damning, from the silly to the truly nefarious. The positive info on Keith all comes from the self-written press that is found on his own site/s, and very little else positive can be found about him from independent press sources or even testimonials from past clients. And I went in looking for the positive about this organization, truly. And I skipped all the Rick Ross stuff.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/10/al ... ike_o.html

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/12203/n ... sets-claim

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0742,t ... .html/full

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2006/0724/044a.html

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12312007/ne ... 249917.htm

Keith may be a great guy with the best of intentions (this isn't about how "nice" they are in person, because by all accounts they're all perfectly friendly), and I leave that open as a possibility. But the NXIVM people do seem to make a lot of accusations about their detractors that cannot be proven, whereas the opposite is not true. I think it's important to look at this beyond the dismissive "If you're uncomfortable, just LEAVE" or "Don't complain about a free event!" or to get distracted by the Crosbys (admittedly horrendous) behavior at this event. The more knowledge we have, the better off we are. And we still don't have enough info as I see it. Basic questions are still unanswered, and may remain so. At that point, we have to individually decide if we're up to ignoring the record because the organization has considerable funds. I look forward to finding out more.
Amy Malkoff
Now: All About Buford - www.allaboutbuford.com | ICCA Judge | CASA Board of Directors + Director of Web Content | www.amymalkoff.com/harmony
Then: Deadline Poet | Kenyon College's Owl Creek Singers
AMalkoff

Postby mwhitehouse » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:56 am

mwhitehouse

Postby livingfiction » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:06 pm

livingfiction

Postby jared allen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:08 pm

Jared Allen T Minus 5 Entertainment A Cappellastock 801-643-5057 jared@tminus5.com http://www.tminus5.com http://www.acappellastock.com http://www.jaredallenentertainment.com

jared allen

Postby dingd » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:18 pm

Dan Ding
Publicity Chair, Brandeis VoiceMale
www.brandeisvoicemale.com
dingd

Postby livingfiction » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:32 pm

livingfiction

Postby colton » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:38 pm

colton
RARB
RARB