[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - A Cappella Innovations

A Cappella Innovations

Got something to say?

Postby Keith Raniere » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Sorry I’ve taken so long to post. For the last 2 days at least, this thread appears to be an ever shifting list of questions and answers. So I will start from the present and answer one question at a time in subsequent posts attempting to be diligent with my presence (yuck, that came out strange!)

Here are some quick thoughts mainly, but not solely, on the posts of Deke Sharon:

With respect to Oprah: see front page of the RI site.

With respect to legal cases: There is a substantial difference between settling a case with
the judge’s subsequent order and a case that goes to trial. Lauren is correct with her representations but to understand them fully one needs more distinctions and data.

With respect to A Cappella support and Tibet, AIDS, Global hunger etc.: they are in different categories. Depending on your beliefs, your list comprises effects of humanity’s ethics, Nxivm affects these ethics directly so does A Cappella.

With respect to a product such as Red Bull, I believe in free enterprise and shameless plugs (I just typed pugs!) Nxivm is different. Nxivm is a method to inspire humanity and its primary objective is not to earn money for the owners. In this way, Nxivm and a cappella are sisters—both derive from the same thing. Products like Red Bull provide a value for the purpose of earning money for the owners, this is different.

With respect to AMalkoff’s last post: I’ve always found it suspicious when nobody says anything good about something except for the something itself (say that 5 times fast)—except I view it the opposite way from most: even Charles Manson has others claiming he is good. If there is no good, I start to think of censorship and bias. If you dig deep enough (or truly want to know by maintaining a dialogue) you will discover why. If you assume I’m a bad guy there will always be layers of questions with answers and in the end you will probably think, “Oh, the whole situation is just weird” without ever being able to put your finger on it. This is because in the end you will have a guy you assume is bad in the middle of a lot of smoke (remember; to many if there is smoke there is fire.)

If you assume I am good, I think you will find a simple resolution. I suggest doing both THOROUGHLY. Certainly, the depths of my potential evil have not been fully explored, but my potential good has been explored less so. Check your sources and the sources of the sources you will find interesting connections. Of course it is my position you will ultimately find I am good. But it is so much more important if you come to your own conclusions than if I argue with you about them. You may find the smoke comes from a surprising source.

With respect to cult: Besides being a cover label of sorts, it carries with it a Gödel sort of paradox: if you defend or disbelieve in a cult, then you have been affected by it. The accuser always has authority over the accused. Anything the accused says can always be refuted with, “of course you would say that, you’re in the cult!” You see, the “outsiders” are afforded an extra degree of freedom over the “insiders” (apologies to non-nerds.) This is especially true of a brainwashing cult (if anyone out there knows of a brainwashing system there is a great market for it in prisons, not even the system presented in A Clockwork Orange could resist Beethoven!) Unfortunately, you will be appalled when/if this happens: if you ever take the position Nxivm is not a cult you will likely be accused of being in the cult. Remember, as a famous lawyer once told me, “no good deed goes unpunished.”

With respect to the group(s) and individuals(s) who did damage: We are offering them the opportunity to come forward and make amends (this is far more complicated now.) They need to contact Clare by midnight this Sunday 4/13/08. We feel they have affected a local business, our festival, our sponsors, the festival judges, the a cappella community, our local community, their universities, the image of college students in general as well as themselves and the potential enjoyment of other groups.

Why a cappella? A cappella is a vehicle to help inspire humanity. The festival came about very naturally: I was moved by an a cappella performance; I assembled 6 musical friends; they performed; 50 more people wanted to try a cappella; we thought we could have a large performance; we thought we might invite another local group; we expanded it to be a festival.

I’m sorry this is so dry. Clare and I spoke this morning; she is going to propose some options for this thread after this post. I will continue to answer questions but only one at a time! I will be more humorous so try to not take me too seriously.
Keith Raniere

Question #1

Postby therge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks for taking questions! I have lots, but I'll keep it to one, to be fair!

You have invented a way of thinking and behaving that can save the world. How much money do you charge people to learn it, and why?

Thanks,

Todd
Todd Herge
Tenor/VP
Chordial Invitations
www.myspace.com/chordialinvitations
therge

Postby Clare » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Clare

Postby TheProjectPiper » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:34 pm

TheProjectPiper

Postby Chris » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vocomotion » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Freddie Feldman
VOCOMOTION

vocomotion.com
acaTunes.com
acafeed.com
TheThumper.com
DarkSideVoices.com
vocomotion

Postby dekesharon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:19 pm

- Deke Sharon • 800.579.9305 • http://www.dekesharon.com

dekesharon

Postby dekesharon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:22 pm

dekesharon

Postby matthewnym » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Evan Wisser
The Pitchforks of Duke University '05-'09
Music Director '06-'09
Album Producer '07-'09
matthewnym

Postby Clare » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:44 pm

I feel it is important for the community to know that tonight I was contacted by one of the groups who attended the festival. In our conversation they acknowledged their participation in the unpleasant events that occurred over the weekend and apologized personally to me and are taking steps towards making right their behaviors during the weekend. I personally think this is a very good thing.

Clare Bronfman
Clare

Postby dekesharon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:48 pm

Well done, Matthew. Thanks for the in-depth report!

I'm still working my way through 240 pages, but I do have a couple more questions, Keith:

* Someone earlier in this discussion mention that you laughed off the title of "Vanguard" but on page 62 (of the 240 page document that you attempted to patent), it says (I'll quote the paragraph in full so as not to take it out of context):

"END OF SESSION HANDSHAKE LINE-UP: At the end of a session the highest-ranking student under Proctor says "To Vanguard" the session responds "Thank-you Vanguard", "To Prefect" the session responds "Thank-you Prefect", "To Proctors" the session responds "Thank-you Proctors"/ Then each of the higher ranks shakes the hand of all ranks above them, the students shake the hands of all the ranks of Proctor and above. As a sign of interdependence, all thank each other. This is vital to fostering a direct human relationship between all concerned and overcoming shyness."

Are you not the Vanguard to whom this refers? Why a title, and not just "Keith?" And if so, why deny it/make light of it?

* Modern ethical theory largely rejects hierarchies, as they have been used so destructively through history (to suppress people based on sex, race, sexual orientation, age, $, etc.). Equality is commonly accepted and understood to be the most ethical way to treat others.

As such, why do you have a clearly defined hierarchy in your organization (titles, colored sashes, handshake protocol, standing when someone of higher rank enters the room, proper greetings, etc.) when reinforcing status would seem to contradict accepted ethical theory?

* And moreover, if you're humble and down to earth (as several of your friends and NXIVM folks have said, and it's also on your personal and NXIVM web site), why would your organizational infrastructure be so clearly defined with you in the highest rank? What's the value to the organization, to your students, and to an increasingly ethical world?

BTW, I especially appreciate the section of your training that emphasizes the marriage of "honestly (telling the truth) and disclosure (telling everything)" as being so fundamental to relationships, as well as being a whole person (page 74+). That's really what this whole discussion is all about.

Again, thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

dekesharon

Postby dherriges » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:16 pm

dherriges

Postby livingfiction » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:42 pm

livingfiction

Postby Keith Raniere » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:29 am

Keith Raniere

Postby jazzydanziger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:26 am

jazzydanziger
RARB
RARB