[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - A Cappella Innovations

A Cappella Innovations

Got something to say?

Postby cg929 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:42 pm

cg929

Postby Keith Raniere » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:22 pm

Last edited by Keith Raniere on Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keith Raniere

Postby mcbc » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:38 pm

Well, hmmm I feel like Vindicated McGee now or Vindicated McBc. Terrible.

Anywhosits, I've read through all the posts, yes all 11 pages of them actually because for some reason I care about all this nonsense as much as any CARA runup, ICCA dustup or BOCA ... but not BOCA 2008 ;)

* My biggest concern was strangely addressed by The Crosbys. I was worried that innocent, non-RARB-reading groups were going in blind and not knowing what they could potentially be walking into. It actually makes me feel good that groups were sharing what they knew w/ other groups. That's how it should always be. Not as a malicious thing, but as a "treat your fellow wo/man ..." thing. Cool.

* I've also got my answers from the "horses' mouth." I think they speak for themselves loudly.

* Poo-gate? I'm glad that this didn't derail us from the larger issues.

* I'm all for new voices and new people putting out events, shows, compliations, etc. I hate monopolies and fresh ideas are always good, especially in the arts. So I hope no one out there thinks we're just beating up on "the new guy."

* Finally, and I'll be completely blunt, speaking for myself only ... Right now, the star power of this event is the only thing that draws me. I'm a dork, both online and off so sure Smallville's Allison Mack and BSG's Nicki Clyne will get me to make the drive. ([plug]By the by, BSG is really one of smartest shows out there and definitely the best on cable since HBO originals are on an indefinite hiatus[/plug]) And yes, I do think corporate sponsorship idea is haute hot one. Heck between holiday parties, the CEO's daughter's sweet 16, jingles or even a cappella seminars & team building exercises I could probably pay for three studio albums, a touring sound system and a personal manservant.

However would I recommend this event to any of my old groups? Would I tell XYZ collegiate group wholeheartedly sign on up? Nope. At best, I'd say visit RARB, visit the ACI site and make up your own mind.
mcbc

Postby Keith Raniere » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:32 am

Just a quick note: I don't know if being refered to as a "horse" is good or bad or if said reference is about me personally. I suspect it has different meanings if it is applied from the neck up or down (H's ass, built like a H.)

If it is ok with the rarb and others concerned I would like to have the full version of this available for reference (it would probably be placed on the post-deposition Nxivm site) and also an abridged version for quick reading.

I agree this is an important document. It is sad it is connected to an indirectly related entity AI, but that is now reality. This document is part of Nxivm and it will be preserved and published as such.

If this is objectionable to anyone please remark.
Keith Raniere

Postby sahjahpah » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:58 am

I don't believe that he was calling you a horse. I believe he was using the figure of speech, "straight from the horse's mouth."

I would object to any comments I authored in this thread being used in any sort of legal setting, or being added to the nexium site, or anything like that. Of course I will leave it too the legal people to tell me whether I am legally allowed to request this or whether nexium is legally required to oblige. But I would hope it would out of common courtesy.
sahjahpah

Postby livingfiction » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:21 am

livingfiction

Postby bstevens » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:20 am

Benjamin Stevens

CASA Director of Education

Educational Officer for Festivals and Events

bstevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sahjahpah » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:37 am

sahjahpah

Postby Keith Raniere » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:47 am

Keith Raniere

Postby UniqueAlias » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:39 am

UniqueAlias

Postby UnifiedVoice » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:41 am

UnifiedVoice

Community

Postby jminkoff » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:02 am

One fascinating element of this conversation is the degree to which people are motivated in their comments by the desire to protect others.

In all the thousands of words in this, one of RARB's longest threads, we saw nothing to the effect of "I think I might personally get sucked in to Nxivm against my will" or "Nxivm staff bullied me and now they need to make amends!"

At worst, you saw people saying "I came here for a discussion of technical and artistic elements by a cappella experts. Nxivm-oriented people without a cappella expertise keep pushing the conversation towards touchy-feely, hippy emotional journeys. What are they up to?"

But where people expressed the greatest concerns is in regards to future attendance by others: a person's children, a group unfamiliar with the issues discussed in this thread; high schoolers...

No matter which side of this issue one may come out on, I think there's something inspirational about an entire community looking out for one another so selflessly. Of course, I see it every year at the East Coast Summit and even at competitive events like Varsity Vocals and The Harmony Sweepstakes. But that I'm not surprised does not diminish its beauty or nobility.

None of us here are bound by the determinations of any other group or individual regarding AI. We don't share common geography (unless you count the entirety of the United States). We represent religions and philosophies of mutually exclusive beliefs. We access limited resources. In fact, as noted, many of us compete against one another regularly and directly for awards and honors or even paid performances or other aca-jobs like arranging, recording and producing.

Yet still, the base instincts of competition and self-interest are almost totally absent here.

And I don't think that people have highlighted their own good intentions. I don't think anyone's post was merely meant to demonstrate false altruism. If so, they've done a poor job pointing it out for others to applaud. This isn't presidential candidacy, baby-kissing for cameras. It's truth-seeking.

I'm not saying that everyone's logic, methods, research etc. were flawless. And of course "Poo-Gate" and "Pin the Mack" were moments of unbridled idiocy -moments that have inspired some to take actions against their own interests for what they believe to be the betterment of the community.

But I will say, exceptions aside, how proud I am to be a part of this community that cares so much for each other and for the unrelenting search for the truth.

Why would Keith Raniere want this loss-leading foray into a cappella? To access potential high net worth individuals prior to their "full" intellectual development so they can one day become paying Nxivm drones? Some certainly think so and perhaps that is, in fact, the case.

But I don't think it should be so hard to believe that a person of means might also want be a part of, and encourage a group of people attempting, by the very nature of their art, to push the boundaries of what humanity is capable of.

And after all these postings, it's obvious, even to an outsider, that a cappella also represents some of the most intelligent and caring people around.

So if you take Keith Raniere at his word (which I recognize is difficult for many in large part due to strong claims with support absent or publicly withheld due to upcoming litigation), we are precisely the people he's looking for to save humanity. Compare this community to the rest of society and it's clear that we are part of the change in the world he says he wants to foster.

You all question things way too much to be good cult members. But I'd recruit all of you as an engine of positive social change in a New York minute.
Jonathan Minkoff, Esq.
Producer Engineer Composer Singer RARB Reviewer
SingStrong- A cappella Summit in DC
March 5, 6, 7, 2010
www.SingStrong.org
jminkoff
RARB
RARB

Postby livingfiction » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:25 pm

livingfiction

Postby UniqueAlias » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:07 pm

UniqueAlias