CASA President Julia Hoffman Steps Down; Other Board Changes

Advertise a concert, a new album, auditions, etc. We'll tell you our news here too.

CASA President Julia Hoffman Steps Down; Other Board Changes

Postby Amy Malkoff » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 am

Like contemporary vocal music, CASA is an evolving organization, which means that its leadership inevitably periodically changes. It's with gratitude and a bit of sadness that we announce that our President of the past 4 years, Julia Hoffman, is stepping down from her position to devote more time to career and family.

Julia joined the Board of Directors in 2004 and became CASA President in 2009. During her presidency, CASA has experienced unprecedented growth and restructuring. We've seen our membership numbers increase precipitously, our mission statement created and refined, and our organizational values and vision clarified. We've even added our first few paid employees. Thanks to the program managers and volunteers added under Julia's leadership, we now have an even more impressive group of accomplished and motivated people serving our community. And thanks to the proliferation of new programs and festivals during Julia's tenure, we have more ways than ever before to foster and promote contemporary a cappella music across the country and around the world.

"I have been so honored to spend these last 4 years at the helm and to take on the task of ushering the a cappella community through this incredible period of growth. I have had the opportunity to work with such incredible, talented, kind, fun people and I have been buoyed through much hard work by their support and our shared belief that a cappella music is about more than just singing without instruments. I have a tremendous amount of faith in Tom and Greg's enthusiasm and vision for CASA and I am glad I will be nearby to participate and to cheer them on." says Julia. Throughout, Julia has remained a visionary, able to see the big picture of this organization's purpose/s, to break its needs down to actionable tasks and programs, and assign the right people to those tasks, all wrapped up with her endearing management style. We thank her for her hard work, and wish her well in the future. She will remain as CASA's Director of Awards and Compilations. CASA founder Deke Sharon says, "Under Julia's tenure, CASA's scope has increased significantly, perhaps most notably with a series of superlative events around the nation. She has brought a cappella to the masses... literally!"

We welcome Tom Anderson as CASA's new President. As one of a cappella's finest arrangers and clinicians, Tom has been an outspoken advocate for various issues in the community, and brings continuing enthusiasm and intellect to the position. In 2011, he left a career as an attorney to focus full-time on his work as the owner of a cappella arranging studio Random Notes. Tom will also be transitioning his board position from Director of Professional Relations to Director of Media Development as he oversees the growth of several new media projects for CASA. Says Tom: "For over twenty years, CASA has been instrumental (no pun intended) in helping the unique artistry of the unaccompanied human voice reach a much wider audience. I'm honored to follow in the footsteps of the leaders who have served CASA in the past, and I'm looking forward to meeting (with the help of the whole CASA team) whatever challenges and opportunities lie ahead as we strive to help more people experience that artistry for themselves."

Stepping down from the Vice President position is Amanda Aldag, who will be making permanent her interim position of Director of Events. Amanda has been an incredible force in the restructuring of CASA over the past 2 years and we are pleased to have her awesome managerial and project management talents applied to our massive events infrastructure. Former Director of Development Greg Rubin will take over the position of Vice President. In addition to his arranging and consulting company Custom Acappella, Greg's professional background includes time as a strategy consultant and as a marketing director at Sony Music and Jive Records.

Read about our other board changes here.

Last edited by Amy Malkoff on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit

Amy Malkoff http://www.amymalkoff.com/harmony CASA (Contemporary A Cappella Society) Program Manager + Director of Web Content - http://www.casa.org Judge - ICCA, ICHSA, Harmony Sweepstakes, etc.

Amy Malkoff

Return to zzAnnouncements