[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Etown Phalanx Home-Grown Reviews

Etown Phalanx Home-Grown Reviews

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Etown Phalanx Home-Grown Reviews

Postby Neil » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:15 am

Alright, I'm in the mood to talk, and I know at least a couple of us have this disc, so I'm going to open the argument here.

First discussion: How did you like it?

Personally, I'm closer to Jonathan Minkoff's sentiment and Guang Ming Easlon's grade for the album. I thought the album was solid from beginning to end, with a couple of songs (I'm Still Always Here For You, Pride, Black Sheep) really doing it for me and bringing easy 5 grades. I think that the comparison to Code Red by Ms. Easlon was unfair, because if you compare it to any album but that one, I'd say it stands on the same level. An analogy... in high school art class, you have Claude Monet, and twenty talented high school artists. This'd be like saying 'this student's ability doesn't match Mr. Monet's' even though he stood out as strong amongst his peers. Anyway, small detail. I just wanted to say that the polish and precision was right with that of most every album I've ever heard. I love this album, and I'd give it a grade somewhere between 4 and 5, making it a 4 if I had to give a grade with no decimals.

Second discussion: The difference in grades

The basis for this discussion is not what you might normally think. I can go along with different grades ranging from 3 to 5 overall. However, I saw these three numbers and almost choked:

Energy/intensity:
Minkoff - 5
Easlon - 4
Czerwinski - 1

Now, I understand that you can disagree with the relative quality of a CD, but I don't know how the energy ratings can be so different on the same disc. Either the energy was there or it wasn't - not a very subjective rating. Now, my personal opinion is with Mr. Minkoff, here, but that's not the point. Do you guys think it's possible to have that big a difference in opinion as to the energy shown on a disc?

Feel free to chime in.... I might add my review (or a portion thereof) later in the thread, I'm not sure.
Neil Malek
NSA Alum
Neil

Postby ariel » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:06 am

I have this disc, and I really enjoyed it. I would also give it about a 4 or a little more. The energy thing really confuses me too, Neil, because I thought that besides a couple songs, the energy was really top notch. It was the first thing I noticed, and I've listened to it a bunch of times because I'm peer reviewing it for them. I'm also not sure why there was such a big discrepancy on that score. Otherwise I thought that Guang Ming and Jonathan were pretty close to what I thought as well about most of the disc.
CASA Board 09/10
Elegant Catastrophe Singers 2008 - 2009
Downtown Crossing 2004 - 2007
Stanford Harmonics 2001-2004
ariel

Re: Etown Phalanx Home-Grown Reviews

Postby tekay » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:32 am

[color=#8040BF] CASA Dir. of Ambassador Program SoJam Producer & Concert Mgr Sing Producer CAL jd All Things A Cappella FOTS #1 ICCA Producer Emeritus "the

tekay
RARB
RARB

Postby Chris -- Shir Appeal » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:34 am

In re Part 2:

If it's not subjective, then why bother asking different people for ratings at all? :P

Tom gave a poor Energy score because, to him, it sounded like the human voices were drained of energy by the autotuning and other processing.

Is it energetic if I record a perfect "din" and then sample it to play an entire song? (Not that this happened on Homegrown.) It depends on what you view as energy, I suppose...

In the above example, if the completely artificial sampled song had a great hook and a nice beat, maybe I would give it a high energy score because it excites me. On the other hand, maybe I would give it a one, because it sounds pretty damn soulless.

Personally, maybe a one is a little harsh for the album. Even if you hate the backgrounds, the solos still have some decent energy -- and the autotuning on them is even less apparent to my ear than on the vaunted Code Red.
Chris Cifrino
Shabbos Goy
www.shirappeal.com
Chris -- Shir Appeal

Re: Etown Phalanx Home-Grown Reviews

Postby Neil » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:53 am

Neil Malek
NSA Alum
Neil

Postby Jordan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:58 pm

Jordan Bicher
Phalanx President
www.etown.edu/phalanx
Jordan

Postby quidlat » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:00 pm

Christopher Quidlat2004 Best Mixed Collegiate Solo “Man in the Mirror”* (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign No Strings Attached)2004 Best Male Collegiate Solo “Right Here Waiting”* (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Xtension Chords) 

quidlat

Postby Neil » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:07 pm

Neil Malek
NSA Alum
Neil

Thanks for everything

Postby broph5215 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:45 pm

broph5215

Miscellanea

Postby Mouthdrummer » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:04 pm

~~~AJ
VP at large