Staticflow EP

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Staticflow EP

Postby elocomotive » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:57 am

Thanks to Rebecca, Jonathan, and Josh for their feedback. I appreciate the time and attention that goes into the reviews and continue to think that RARB offers a great service to the a cappella community. We share many of the praises and criticisms the reviewers had of the CD, and appreciate the input.

I will note one area of constructive criticism for the reviewers, and it has nothing to do with scores or sour grapes, because I can't stand when people come on the forum and whine about stuff and feel the need to defend their CD.

My only wish is that the reviewers had done more to describe the music to readers, and this doesn't just apply to our album or its reviewers, but many of the reviewers and albums of original music I've read on RARB. I think the three reviews built up a pretty comprehensive list of the pro's and con's of the Staticflow CD, but I don't get a sense as a reader of what the album and songs actually sound like. That may be partly due to the fact that we are a new group searching for our sound as Josh Diamant pointed out.

But it may be because the music is original (5 of 6 tracks at least) and RARB generally reviews cover tracks, where there are already assumptions and knowledge about the music on a particular CD.

In any case, a couple examples are that (a) I couldn't tell from the combined reviews what type of genre or style one would categorize Staticflow as. (b) Lyrics are not commented on a single time for any of the songs. Banal? Brilliant? A reader wouldn't know. (c) Little about the emotional response and mood of the music is noted, which is an important element to original material. (d) One of the reviews (Minkoff's) doesn't even mention that the CD is mostly original material or point out any of the songs as being originals.

In short, I think the reviewers did a GREAT job telling readers about the "trees," but not knowing the music and songs upfront, readers may be a little confused about what "forest" they are wandering into here.

In any case, whether the RARB reviewers thought we had a beautiful Redwood or a Christmas tree that should have been tossed out weeks ago, we appreciate their feedback. There were a number of different perspectives and opinions, and that is great to see. Thank you RARB reviewers!

Also, a special thanks as well to our engineer and co-producer Dave Sperandio. Dave did a great job delivering the sound we wanted and took the songs to another level. Not only should you hire him to mix your next CD because he received 16 CARA nominations and 4 tracks on BOCA from his work last year, but he's a great guy to work with - a good listener, a creative soul, and a man with vision and conviction.

A CARA nomination on Tuesday, the RARB review on Wednesday, and our first practice with the new lineup on Thursday has made for one very fun and memorable week for Staticflow.

To those of you who have bought the CD, thanks for your support. To those of you who haven't, we offer up an exclusive offer for RARB forum members to get the EP for only $7 if you are interested. Simply go to...
http://www.staticflowlive.com/newstore/rarboffer.htm

The offer is good for only two weeks, so if you want a copy of the CD, get it soon and save some dough. Thanks!
elocomotive

Re: Staticflow EP

Postby yanikova » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:37 pm

Elocomotive wrote:Thanks to Rebecca, Jonathan, and Josh for their feedback. I appreciate the time and attention that goes into the reviews and continue to think that RARB offers a great service to the a cappella community. We share many of the praises and criticisms the reviewers had of the CD, and appreciate the input.

I will note one area of constructive criticism for the reviewers, and it has nothing to do with scores or sour grapes, because I can't stand when people come on the forum and whine about stuff and feel the need to defend their CD.

My only wish is that the reviewers had done more to describe the music to readers, and this doesn't just apply to our album or its reviewers, but many of the reviewers and albums of original music I've read on RARB. I think the three reviews built up a pretty comprehensive list of the pro's and con's of the Staticflow CD, but I don't get a sense as a reader of what the album and songs actually sound like. That may be partly due to the fact that we are a new group searching for our sound as Josh Diamant pointed out.

But it may be because the music is original (5 of 6 tracks at least) and RARB generally reviews cover tracks, where there are already assumptions and knowledge about the music on a particular CD.

In any case, a couple examples are that (a) I couldn't tell from the combined reviews what type of genre or style one would categorize Staticflow as. (b) Lyrics are not commented on a single time for any of the songs. Banal? Brilliant? A reader wouldn't know. (c) Little about the emotional response and mood of the music is noted, which is an important element to original material. (d) One of the reviews (Minkoff's) doesn't even mention that the CD is mostly original material or point out any of the songs as being originals.

In short, I think the reviewers did a GREAT job telling readers about the "trees," but not knowing the music and songs upfront, readers may be a little confused about what "forest" they are wandering into here.

In any case, whether the RARB reviewers thought we had a beautiful Redwood or a Christmas tree that should have been tossed out weeks ago, we appreciate their feedback. There were a number of different perspectives and opinions, and that is great to see. Thank you RARB reviewers!

Also, a special thanks as well to our engineer and co-producer Dave Sperandio. Dave did a great job delivering the sound we wanted and took the songs to another level. Not only should you hire him to mix your next CD because he received 16 CARA nominations and 4 tracks on BOCA from his work last year, but he's a great guy to work with - a good listener, a creative soul, and a man with vision and conviction.

A CARA nomination on Tuesday, the RARB review on Wednesday, and our first practice with the new lineup on Thursday has made for one very fun and memorable week for Staticflow.

To those of you who have bought the CD, thanks for your support. To those of you who haven't, we offer up an exclusive offer for RARB forum members to get the EP for only $7 if you are interested. Simply go to...
http://www.staticflowlive.com/newstore/rarboffer.htm

The offer is good for only two weeks, so if you want a copy of the CD, get it soon and save some dough. Thanks!

Eric, I want to say thanks to you of your offer of discount. I heard the songs on your website and I will be buying the copy for myself after tomorrow!

Kindly,
Yuri
'kova
yanikova

Re: Staticflow EP

Postby Kim San Hu » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:49 am

Hello. Where can we find the person who mixed the Less You Say? It's a fun tune and done well and my group would like to see if you can mix our project?

Thank you - Kim
Who feels it, knows it.
Kim San Hu

Postby jsdiamant » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:57 am

Joshua S. Diamant RARB '02-'05

jsdiamant

Postby Kim San Hu » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:37 am

jdiamant wrote:dave@diovoce.com

Ah, thank you so much! - Kim
Who feels it, knows it.
Kim San Hu

Postby nuzzle77 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:20 am

Kim - Dave Sperandio (aka "Dio") should be tops on your list for post-production. As you can hear from Less You Say and the other tracks on our CD, Dio has an amazing ear and natual talent when it comes to acappella music. I think there were something like 14 of the CARA nominations were songs that he mixed/produced...
I highly recommend! http://www.diovoce.com
Jeremy Goldman
( ((Staticflow)) )
nuzzle77

Postby tat-tong » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:46 pm

Yup, Dio's the shiznit... Last Call's CAMO track was mixed by him. Also check out John Clark, Bill Hare, Gabe Rutman who are all equally good but have rather different styles. :)
Tat Tong
Producer | Engineer | Songwriter | Arranger | Publisher

T2 Productions
Managed by Universal Music (Publishing)
An award-winning member of the VocalSource network.
tat-tong

Postby Kim San Hu » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:12 am

tat-tong wrote:Yup, Dio's the shiznit... Last Call's CAMO track was mixed by him. Also check out John Clark, Bill Hare, Gabe Rutman who are all equally good but have rather different styles. :)

Thank you for your help, Tat and others! I will get in touch with Dio and the others you listed as soon as we know if we have money from our school. I am excited now to be making our first CD!
Who feels it, knows it.
Kim San Hu

Postby yanikova » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:03 pm

This CD is most great! I enjoy listening much!

Yuri
'kova
yanikova

Postby nuzzle77 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:24 am

yanikova wrote:This CD is most great! I enjoy listening much!

Yuri

Yuri, thank you so much for the compliment. We certainly appreciate fellow aca fans listening and responding (both positively & negatively) to our music.

Next up for the 'flow, we'll be performing at the Mid-Atlantic Regionals of the Harmony Sweeps (April 9th, http://www.harmony-sweepstakes.com/dc.html ) and performing some songs off the CD and some new stuff too....
Jeremy Goldman
( ((Staticflow)) )
nuzzle77

Return to zzCommunity Reviews