Cadence - Twenty For One

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Cadence - Twenty For One

Postby tat-tong » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:44 am

Just listened through the album... here are my thoughts:

Overall, the album is tight as hell with excellent layered studio work. This is especially evident in the vocal percussion throughout, which though sequenced, grooves really well due to the layering and dynamic panning utilized. The mixes are totally alive - tasteful effects cut in and out, percussion swoops from side to side. AutoTune is used just as tastefully as in their debut, giving flawless tuning throughout.

The jazz/funk tunes are beauties to behold - creative random interludes, top notch singing and feel, and unbelievably intricate harmonies pulled off with aplomb. However, the rock/slow pop stuff left me a little cold. Not that there was anything seriously wrong with it - it was technically sound, but it just sounded like the group wasn't quite nailing it the way it does on its phenomenal jazz/funk tunes.

Anyone else have any comments? :)
Tat Tong
Producer | Engineer | Songwriter | Arranger | Publisher

T2 Productions
Managed by Universal Music (Publishing)
An award-winning member of the VocalSource network.
tat-tong

Postby andrea figallo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:50 am

Dear Tat,

I think the Cadence album fulfils what is one of my main needs while listening to an a cappella album. It tastefully reminds me it's just voices performing what I hear. Although I do have a similar feeling to yours, I do appreciate the change of vibe through the songs.

I do not sense a lack of production in the ballads, nor I "think" they miss something.

I believe I have to judge an album in its whole, and to do this I'd like to wait for a few more listens, but for the moment I really like their approach and their balanced use of effects, styles, vibes, etc.

peace, andrea
andrea figallo

Postby andrea figallo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:16 am

no one else has anything to say about this album ???
andrea figallo

Postby sdargie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:11 pm

I'd like to hear it...
Sean Dargie
All About Buford
sdargie
RARB
RARB

Postby alokin123 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:31 pm

I think tat-tong hit the nail on the head. Cadence seems to have found their niche in doing the jazzier/ r&b/ funk type tunes. Drycleaner and Hit That Jive Jack are probably the 2 best examples of this on the album. Blues on Sunday is probably the only original that fits this bill. But that’s not to say that the other originals were bad, by no means. Don’t Fix What’s Broken is probably the catchiest song I have heard in a while and the same goes for Sitting in the Cellar. Every technical aspect of the album was spot on but it seems like they were trying to do a bit of every style and trying to reacher a wider audience maybe? and in doing so there were less of the jazzier tunes that they are renowned for. Either way it’s a great album and I recommend it highly. My opinion anway…
alokin123

Postby bates » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:34 pm

Overall, to be honest, I give this album a 4.5.

My two favorite tracks, by far, are Drycleaner from Des Moines and Hit That Jive. The former is a trippy and artful voyage across a Joni Mitchell standby, and captures everything I love about Cadence: it's a deft and creative arrangement that manages to transfigure the original without losing its charms. The latter is a bit more of a straight-up number, but is done with such musicality and perfection that it completely floored me. Despite my own unpleasant personal associations with Hit That Jive, I can't stop listening to it.

There are other really good tracks on here: the Cake-laced opener (Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps) is catchy and fun and bright. Blues on Sunday is a slick little original number. Don't Fix What's Broken reminded me heavily of a Wonders-of-the-World-era FOCS song.

But, by and large, Twenty for One just didn't grab me in the same way that Frost-Free did. I listen to songs like The Perfect Kiss and I am nonplussed. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover was, save the flawless and awesome percussion, fairly uninteresting. Where's the suave and beautiful lyricism from Shape of My Heart? It left me, a dedicated Paul Simon fan, fairly cold; it seemed like an average cover, lacking in interpretation or (really) feeling.

Don't let me give you the idea that this is a bad album. It's not. It's great. I would have paid for even just those two standout tracks, and the others are, if not all that I want, pretty head-and-shoulders above most other a cappella out there. The musicality is of course impeccable, the production pristine and never distracting. Their stylistic range on this album varies fairly widely, and has something for everyone.

Verdict: sorry for dissembling so much, but here it is: get this album. Listen to it, a lot. I think you will find here exactly what makes Cadence one of the best professional groups out there. You will enjoy it. A few bumps don't make the voyage unpleasant.
Daniel Bates '05
MIT Impulse (Present) The Beltway Boys (Summer 2007)
The Chorallaries of MIT (2001-Present!) MBHS InToneNation (1997-2001)
bates

Postby A.A.C.I. » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:28 am

Since there has been so much talk of Cadence and Duwende as of late on the forums, I just thought I'd post and remind everyone that they will be together at SoJam in November. It's a great opportunity to learn from the pros, ask any of the "How did they do that?"-type questions during their seminars, and get to see them rock it out on the same stage that gave us the House Jacks last year. Don't miss out on this event! Anyone who has been in year's past will tell you, it's worth it! There will be other football games this year, there will be other concerts this year... SoJam happens once! Make it happen!

Nick
President, AACI
The Alliance for A Cappella Initiatives is a not-for-profit educational organization dedicated to the advancement and continuing evolution of Vocal Music as an art form and cultural phenomenon.
A.A.C.I.

Postby vocalmark » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:01 pm

I just purchased this album, and I must say I love the way the group has gone since their first album, "Frost Free". The first album, imho, was overly produced. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but it almost sounded "too good". "Twenty for One" brings a sense of realism to the table. This I like.

I sent Cadence an email right after they released "Frost Free" telling them what amazing arrangements they have. Has anyone else noticed this? I know that sounds like a silly question, but their ability to make 4 guys sound like 6 at all times is beyond my comprehension.

Anyway - congratulations guys on what may be my new favorite a cappella album! Can't wait to see you at SoJam!

Mark Hines The Vocal Company - www.thevocalcompany.com SoJam, 2011 Executive Producer CASA, 2010 Board of Directors

vocalmark

Postby playdeep » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:38 am

i definately would like to second mark on this one.....one of cadences strengths has always been their stellar arrangements. while i am not surei like the second more i do also agree with mark that it is a bit more real and so i kinda try not to compare them and i just enjoy each for the different direction they seem to go.
Kurt Walker
playdeep

Return to zzCommunity Reviews