In honor of the new forum - Rock Beats Scissors

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

In honor of the new forum - Rock Beats Scissors

Postby Neil » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:14 am

Since I first listened to this album and formed my opinions of it some time ago, I will focus my post on my impressions of the album, rather than arguing the finer points of the reviews. Also, a 4.7 is pretty darned good, regardless of who you are.

On the first play-through of this album, I thought basically the same thing that Rebecca did - I want my album to sound like this. Not only is it amazing and kickin', but it sounds like an album. I've said it before - whereas something like Code Red is impeccable in how it impersonates each song, the Harmonics seem to be processing each song through a group filter - they sound like a cover band, unified in sound throughout, giving great turns on different artists' material, but in the end sounding like themselves. Some might say that the ultimate goal of collegiate a cappella is to simply make it sound as much like the original as possible, but I actually prefer seeing a group take their own personal spin on each song. Then it sounds like they own the song. Much like I've seen complaints that the soloists on certain tracks try to imitate the original soloist too much, I think there can be too much attempt at imitation and not enough personal signature on a group level.

I have never suggested that I have a perfectly trained ear, and so I can't argue songs having 'tuning issues' or the like. Therefore, in my personal reviews of CDs, the most important scores come in energy, soloists, and repeat listenability. That's where I think this album shines - each track is absolutely full-speed-ahead, soloists each own their respective tracks, and I can keep this CD in my player for two or three cycles before I think about switching it out (very long attention span).

Even after a couple months' worth of play, there are only a couple of tracks that I would even periodically skip over, and there are still quite a few tracks that shine for me - the bridge of Drive always makes me smile; you'll always catch me squeaking along with the high soprano on Lady Marmalade; and my head can't stop moving with the music when Bring Me To Life comes on. It opens and closes strong, and there isn't a track I wish wasn't on there.

If there was one criticism I'd have for this, it's something that Tom brought up in his review, and I hadn't really thought about until I read about it - sometimes it does sound like the group is an all-girl group with basses. There aren't very many songs where the tenors get to shine (ain't that always the case?), while on the other hand, the guys do a bang-up job on their solos. Maybe it's in the mixing, maybe it's in the arrangements, maybe it's in tenors who are just soloists at heart. I dunno.

In all, this CD would get a 5 from me, as I'm sure it would many reviewers (2 out of three dentists agree! ;). It's not as perfect a reproduction as Code Red and some other CDs are, but it has a lot more personality and heart. From the soloists to the energy of the backing vocals, a great album, and one that won't be knocked out of my CD player rotation for a long time to come.
Last edited by Neil on Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Malek
NSA Alum
Neil

Re: In honor of the new forum - Rock Beats Scissors

Postby seth » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:32 am

Neil - No Southern Accent wrote:It's not as perfect a reproduction as Code Blue and some other CDs are

Code Blue? Cardiac arrest! Prep for defib!
;-)
seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: In honor of the new forum - Rock Beats Scissors

Postby Neil » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:34 am

Seth wrote:
Neil - No Southern Accent wrote:It's not as perfect a reproduction as Code Blue and some other CDs are

Code Blue? Cardiac arrest! Prep for defib!
;-)

I have no idea what you're talking about. I at no point in my post wrote Code Blue instead of Code Red. That would just be a dumb thing to say.

;)
Neil Malek
NSA Alum
Neil

Postby Mahka » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:58 am

Ah...the power of edit. ;-) And you should catch up on your medical drama/comedy shows. TLC too.
~Mark
Formerly of the UCLA ScatterTones
Looking for a group in SF?
ICCA/ICHSA Judge, Producer
CARA Nominator/Judge
And all that jazz
Mahka

Return to zzCommunity Reviews