Last Call "Straight Up"

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Postby Spparkle » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:30 pm

My thoughts:

1) I thought that numbers were a bit low, but no matter.

2) I forget who called them Entertainers, but that reviewer is dead right. I have seen LC a handful of times, and they are really one of the most fun groups to watch. Their level of performance is well tuned and very natural, and I think thats something thats hard to capture in a studio. Their strength really lies in their perfoming abilities. And with that comes all the flamboyancy, mocha fraps, and scattered engineering.

I think its a great album guys, and your fans will buy it and love it. (I'd also like to note that you did not credit my amazing photography skillz in your liner notes, since you did use a picture I took on the inside of the album... I'll let it slip this time.)

-Katie
Katie Bank
Bowdoin Ursus Verses
Harvard Fallen Angels
Music Teacher: Sea Crest School, Half Moon Bay, CA
Spparkle

Postby DisplacedBass » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:40 am

I bet those jerks reviewing the album will probably be dumb enough to pan it. They don't have a clue about anything. Especially Mark Manley — he's an arrogant bastard. Fortunate for him, he's amazingly good-looking...
Arjun Jaikumar
Northwestern University Purple Haze 2001-05
Hyannis Sound 2004-06

www.purplehaze.ws
www.hyannissound.com
DisplacedBass

Postby davetrendler » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:27 pm

Not to open a dead thread (when are these things dead, anyway?), but there's some confusion about scoring in this thread.

Here's the policy: http://www.rarb.org/scores.html

Perfect pitch and perfect rhythm do not necessarily a perfect album make.

If everyone's pitch is PC perfect and everyone's rhythm is ProTools polished, doesn't that make everyone's album "average"?

Dave T.
davetrendler
RARB
RARB

Postby simplethings » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:27 am

Hi Dave,

I was wondering why you scored the energy on the album as average when you mentioned the energy / "selling" of the songs a couple times in your review.

[quote]After all, the men of Last Call sing with gusto and precision[/quote]

[quote]Energetic soloists lay it on thick, with good male voices and style. The effeminate soloist in I Touch Myself has a voice that is remarkably clear and crisp. Like true entertainers, the group really sells these songs.
[/quote]

[quote]So despite some odd ideas of what make good songs for an album today, Last Call believes in its choices. The "callboys" sell it, and if you'll buy it, Straight Up might just be straight up your alley. [/quote]

On my end, though the album might not be as creative overall, I just noticed that Wake Me Up includes material from Boy From New York City by Manhattan Transfer. I thought that was clever, plus the risky little new york city noise bit in the middle of the song. I didn't like it that much (felt kinda awkward), but it showed a little edge. I was surprised no reviewers gave their thoughts on it.

Who else does Josh Groban, and as kickass as When You Say You Love Me? It looks like a lot of people didn't like September, but I think the techno thing was a different spin than any other version has come out, with remix, added verse and breakdown in the middle.

Anycase, I agree with most everything. Just wanted to point out the few diamonds in the rough that are worth checking out.
simplethings

Postby H.F. » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:25 am

I think there are certainly more than just a few diamonds in the rough to enjoy on this CD. My personal favorite track is 'Wake Me Up' - really fun stuff, very well-mixed - with some FX ported directly from Wibi's 'Rosanna' - not a bad one to crib from!

'The Scientist' is also very very nice. For someone like cmasone to imply it wasn't (assuming he was talking about that song, coulda been BYT I guess) because it was "overdone", or "done better by someone else" (who? back it up.), is just stupid.

'September' was a creative and nice experiment from Tat and G - I enjoy it.

The CD is worth your purchase. Moreso than that of some of it's detractors in this thread. It's not a 5, but it's gutsy and enjoyable.
H.F.

Postby cmasone » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:54 am

H.F. wrote:
'The Scientist' is also very very nice. For someone like cmasone to imply it wasn't (assuming he was talking about that song, coulda been BYT I guess) because it was "overdone", or "done better by someone else" (who? back it up.), is just stupid.

I was thinking of freefallin and wake me up, for reference. Someone else brought up The Scientist.
cmasone

Postby thatarin » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:47 pm

the scientist is one of my least favorite tracks on the cd.

I might be because I like coldplay so much, and the track itself kinda misses the point for me. I feel like it is like a plastic tree - seems pretty, but it doesn't grow for me.
thatarin

Postby phollens » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:25 pm

Funny, I love Coldplay sometimes depending upon my mood. And i feel they captured exactly what you described.... but personally I love that plastic tree and will look at it for years to come cause IT IS so pretty.

Shows you how one person's blah is someone else's pretty little plastic tree with a big shiny red bow.

- P
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Postby dherriges » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:19 pm

I find nothing technically wrong with Last Call's Scientist, but I was really put off by it from the first time I heard it on BOCA. It just doesn't capture the essence of the song to me; I feel like it should be quiet and haunting whereas this one is big, epic, reverby and kinda obnoxious as a result. But that sort of thing is entirely subjective. I can see why another listener would love it; my opinion is colored by my personal take on the song's emotion, and probably even by my preference for my own group's arrangement of it (which is quiet and kinda understated even in comparison to the Coldplay original). I think you've gotta give reviewers the benefit of the doubt (and take them with a grain of salt) for virtually anything they say with regard to an individual track, unless it's just blatantly untrue, like lamenting tuning problems that aren't there or something.
dherriges

Postby azncuriousgeorge » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:58 pm

i find it funny how a spam post about britney spears getting raped can bring back a thread that was silent for pretty much a whole year.
hello, my name is jon.
jhu octopodes '04-'08 http://www.octopodes.org http://www.acappellarecords.com/artists/octopodes/
now i'm a salaryman in japan.
azncuriousgeorge

Postby lcmike » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:35 pm

PHollens wrote:... I love Coldplay

Funny - so does Bill Hare!

-Mike
Last Call ('03-'07)
www.menoflastcall.com
Cornell University '07
lcmike

Postby phollens » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:57 am

no he doesn't he just loves you mike.

Off to Disneyland

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Previous

Return to zzCommunity Reviews