[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Madison Project - The Khaki Album

Madison Project - The Khaki Album

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Re: ahhhh

Postby cmasone » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:40 pm

cmasone

Re: ahhhh

Postby carlyonders » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:50 pm

carlyonders

Postby playdeep » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:01 am

Since i have spent extensive time listening to both the aires and project's latest efforts i think i can back both of these guys up in saying i dont think their cds are way autotuned. i was very surprised to see that in the review, and was a bit surprised to see that it was missed as an effect in the ace of bass medley. i also found the madison and aires cds to be two of the best cds of the year and was certainly surprised that the project one was not rated better.

Part of the reason i say this is bc i hear just about every cd out there (college and pro) and felt as if the some of the cds judged higher certainly didnt deserve it.

Both cds are fun to me and scream repeat listenability, which for me is very important when a cd can easily get lost in the stacks upon stacks of cds i own. i also think the aires and madison boys had better arrangements then they were given credit for....simple, maybe sure.....but effective yes. though i know for a fact that some of the aires and project arrangements are more complex than they seem.....superstition and dont come around here no more from black tie affair...that things ends up at something like 14 parts if my ears serve me correctly. well done guys!
Kurt Walker
playdeep

Postby aballard » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:28 pm

I have to say -- for better or for worse -- it's really cool to see people talking about this review. I hope we'll continue to see more reaction like this in the forums -- again, for better or for worse.

Based on comments here, and the two other reviews, I'm in the minority regarding the Khaki Album, which is fine. I just didn't care for this album, and though my review might seem harsh, it's honest and it's reflective of what I think about it.

There's been much mention of my using that dreaded word -- AUTOTUNE -- in my review, and I want to clarify something: I have absolutely no idea how much or how little an autotuner was used in the production of this album. However, I know how much it SOUNDED like one was used, and that's what I was commenting on. So many spots on that album were just void of a truly human sound, to the point of being grating. Maybe it was from the editing, maybe from some weird EQing, but whatever the case, it souded to me like that flatlining whine of the Autotune machine. If it looks like a peach, smells like a peach, tastes like a peach.... hell, I'm going to call it a peach.

Also, someone here said that I called "Love Song" plain. That's not true -- I called it plaintive, which was a compliment. I really like that track and think it was very well done.

Anyway, feel free to toss out any specific questions, or go ahead and lambast me as you please -- I don't expect everything I write to be well-received! You can also email me at aballard at rarb dot org.
Adam Ballard
RARB
Dartmouth Aires '00
aballard
RARB
RARB

Great CD

Postby Tiger33 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:44 am

You can get all you need to know about this album from the first and second reviews. The third is way too harsh, and for some reason chooses almost exclusively to write about negative aspects. (To just read the third review, you would think that this CD had no redemption). It's a very good CD. Not groundbreaking or the next new thing, but not deserving of a 2. The fact that two experienced reviewers gave multiple tracks 5's speaks volumes.

But listen for yourself: http://www.themadisonproject.com/Record ... 0Album.htm

Good to see Virginia groups doing well. VA and NC are turning into hotbeds for good a cappella!
Tiger33

Re: Great CD

Postby cmasone » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:19 pm

cmasone

Postby Johnsapella » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:54 pm

Testostertones, 1999-2003
, 2003-2008
ACappellate Opinions, 2008-present
Learned Band, 2009-present
Johnsapella

Postby Tippy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:42 pm

Tippy

Postby TheProjectPiper » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:38 am

Last edited by TheProjectPiper on Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheProjectPiper

Postby TheProjectPiper » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:22 am

TheProjectPiper

Postby cmasone » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:28 am

cmasone

Postby Tippy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:48 am

Last edited by Tippy on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy

Postby cmasone » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:57 am

cmasone

Postby aballard » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:09 am

Adam Ballard
RARB
Dartmouth Aires '00
aballard
RARB
RARB

Postby Johnsapella » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Testostertones, 1999-2003