On the Rocks- Full Coverage

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

On the Rocks- Full Coverage

Postby wangster » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:03 am

After listening to OTR's newest album, I can confidently say that they are the best collegiate all-male a cappella group out there. I love the group's rich and full barbershopy tone and accurate vocal procussion. I thought all the songs Full Coverage were pretty well arranged, and the group's one original on the album, Scrum, is in my opinion the best track on the whole CD. The special effects were pretty cool too, especially in Cry Me A River, with the sound of rain in the beginning and end of the song and in Hallelujiah. There was great variety in the album as well, ranging from Fountains of Wayne's Stacey's Mom to Take 6's Let the Words in the last track and Tim McGraw's Something Like That.

This group is simply amazing, hopefully they will continue to produce great music in the future. Any one else listen to the album?
Last edited by wangster on Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wangster

Postby jesset » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:15 pm

Agreed. I particularly like how the melancholy of Scrum cross-fades nicely into Cry Me A River (Which by the way is hilarious and a joy to watch live). There are three originals however, When My Baby Walks and Matchbook in addition to Scrum. Scrum and When My Baby Walks are fantastic, though in my opinion Matchbook is alright but nothing special.

Hallelujah is my personal favorite of the track, (Though Kyrie gives it a run for its money) I love the transition from studio to live, it complements the song a lot better than just studio or just live could have done.
Southern Oregon University's Dulcet, '05-'06
Sheldon High School's Arnie's Discount Harmonies, '05
jesset

Postby carlyonders » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:34 pm

I definitely don't know about "the best collegiate all-male a cappella group out there", but the recording is very good, up there with the top 10 or better for sure. Cry Me A River is mondo hot - especially the breakdown, and the group is to be commended for including originals on the disc. Great job, fellas.
carlyonders

Postby IanG » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:33 pm

Agreed with everything said so far, this album is solid all around.

Kyrie is friggin awesome, and Peter Hollens dominates. I'm kinda surprised Somethin Like That made BOCA because I thought Kyrie was a stronger track.

3 originals, all of which are good, and 2 of the first 5 tracks are originals. Hats off to that. When My Baby Walks is the best of the three IMO.

I wasn't as big of a fan of Hallelujah. Still, one of the top all-male albums of the year.
Ian G.
The Back Row ('03-'07), Colorado College all-male acappella, Founder
IanG

Postby lcmike » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:09 pm

IanG wrote:Kyrie is friggin awesome, and Peter Hollens dominates. I'm kinda surprised Somethin Like That made BOCA because I thought Kyrie was a stronger track.

Well, as much as I enjoyed Kyrie, it's already been on BOCA - back in '99 I think. And even so, "Somethin like that" is a pretty awesome track too - I really like its country twang.

-Mike
Last Call ('03-'07)
www.menoflastcall.com
Cornell University '07
lcmike

Postby wangster » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:48 pm

IanG wrote:Agreed with everything said so far, this album is solid all around.

Kyrie is friggin awesome, and Peter Hollens dominates. I'm kinda surprised Somethin Like That made BOCA because I thought Kyrie was a stronger track.

3 originals, all of which are good, and 2 of the first 5 tracks are originals. Hats off to that. When My Baby Walks is the best of the three IMO.

I wasn't as big of a fan of Hallelujah. Still, one of the top all-male albums of the year.

Yea, I liked Something Like That but I woulda taken either Scrum or Kyrie over them for BOCA. I thought Hallelujah was solid, the transition to the live part at the end was pretty sweet.
Chris
A cappella amateur/enthusiast
Peddie School acafellas 03-current
wangster

Postby tat-tong » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:39 am

As someone who's had the privilege to work with OTR, I can say that they're one of the few groups who require virtually no corrective studio magic. The Scrum raw tracks were already beautifully sung, with great tone and blend, and near-perfect intonation. This is the exception rather than the norm in collegiate a cappella, and I think it definitely shows in the final product, and sets these truly talented guys apart from a lot of other groups. Congratulations to Pete and the boys; it was an absolute pleasure working on that track. :)
Tat Tong
Producer | Engineer | Songwriter | Arranger | Publisher

T2 Productions
Managed by Universal Music (Publishing)
An award-winning member of the VocalSource network.
tat-tong

Postby dekesharon » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:20 am

And a reminder: this group is only 4(?) years old, and didn't throw money at this album. Great singing, great direction, great planning = great album.

- Deke Sharon • 800.579.9305 • http://www.dekesharon.com

dekesharon

Postby phollens » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:15 am

I'm so very glad yall are enjoying it!
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Postby H.F. » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:25 pm

Let me echo all of the praise for OTR and Pete Hollens. He's done a terrific job building the group into what it is today. Re the comments abdout Kyrie, as has been said a few times already in other threads and also now this one, it was already on BOCA, and it's on Sing 2 (in fact it leads off the latter - on a monster CD with Cadence, Vox One, Duwende, House Jacks, Bubs, Pitchforks, and many more heavyweights). So yeah, it's getting the props it deserves, and then some. I'm sure CARAs will treat it well, as well.

Re Tat's comments about the state of the tracks, he's partly right - the singers and execution are great for sure, but the tracks were in such good shape, as I understand it, largely do to the massive effort of Pete Hollens in tracking and editing them prior to having them mixed.

Same with the money comment from Deke - they did actually spend a fair chunk on the post-production as I understand it, but saved big b/c Pete did all the tracking and editing (not to mention what he did on the Divisi CD). But Deke's right - good planning, singing, direction, and resource allocation made this CD as good as it is.
H.F.

Postby Blove » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:51 pm

It's great to hear the positive feedback for Full Coverage. Peter can definitely take much of the credit for the quality of the album and we're thrilled with the work he did.

HF, I'm not sure who you are, but you seem well-acquainted with OTR and particularly with the Full Coverage project. I would submit, though, that the credit for building the group into what it is today cannot be given to one person. Pete started the group in 1999 along with his friend Leo Silva. Since then, many individuals have poured their hearts into the group and the credit for building and growing OTR needs to be spread widely.

In other news, I got a good chuckle from reading in Wangster's post that OTR is the best collegiate male a cappella group in all the land. Glad you liked the CD, but recordings these days don't seem to accurately reflect the quality of a group, since most flaws (including weak soloists such as myself) can be improved upon in post production. I've seen some downright awful performances from certain groups and then been shocked to see them on the following year's BOCA disc. Conversely, I've seen some incredible live shows followed up by bad recordings.

In closing, everyone owes it to themselves to buy our disc. Twice.

O'Doyle rules.
Blove

Postby phollens » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:18 pm

Thanks HF! Everyone's comments are great, I am so pleased that the boys are finally getting some feedback from the acappella community on the album! I made some clips of the album, and hopefully the boys will get that up soon @ www.uoontherocks.com (if you haven't heard it yet!) If the clips aren't up for a while, please contact me on AIM and I'll send you the clips!

Their were many contributions from around the nation who were nice enough to give feedback on the early mixes and exteremly talented mixers on this album such as Bill, Dio and Tat.

Over the years, this group has had the luxury of finding extremely talented people who have helped contribute to the quality of this group. And each individual who has become a member of OTR has helped it become what it is today. I only hope it continues on for as many decades as the many stellar groups around the nation!

Happy Holidays and Thanks for Listening!
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Postby Jimbo » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:52 pm

Thanks to everyone for the support and appreciation of the recently released OTR cd. It means a lot to have a great reaction and acceptance from fans and fellow musicians. It was a lot of work putting it together as everyone very well knows how the cd process works. However, it was always a fun process, working with peter hollens and creating another chapter of OTR. Good on you Pete for recording and editing everything for us and them girls too.

Postby adune55 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:24 pm

OTR- Your new album rocks. A lot. Personally I think all of the original material is not only excellent, but also very well arranged and textured (as are the majority of the covers). Production is fantastic and does a great job of complimenting your sound, the overall effect is both organic and contemporary. Sweet.

Pete- I've said this a million times, but that doesn't make it any less true: you have an incredible voice. Each time I listen to one of your solos I find that I notice some cool little thing I hadn't heard before that makes the music that much more engaging. There are precious few soloists in the world, let alone in a cappella, that I find that phenomena to be true for. Please keep singing.

...and while I'm on the subject of solos, I singled Pete out because I've worked with him before and I'm more familiar with his voice, but everybody else was awesome too. Seriously I don't think there's really a weak solo on this disc.

Keep up the good work all. It's fun when a disc comes along like this that I can really enjoy and gush about :)

Robert
adune55
RARB
RARB

Awesome

Postby DkocurekOTR » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:58 pm

It's awesome to see everyone has been enjoying our CD so much. I, for one, STILL haven't taken the thing out of my car CD player! I know, I know...it's sad. We worked our butts off on the project (especially Pete) and I think I speak for the group when I say we're very happy with the results. Hopefully it won't be two years till our next CD...not if I have anything to do with it (o; Oh, and for the record...Blove is not a crappy soloist. In fact, when people hear him sing, they want to BE ON him. Can't wait to see the review on RARB. Happy New Year everyone!

Dan Kocurek
OTR 04-06
Music Director 05-06
DkocurekOTR

Next

Return to zzCommunity Reviews