[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Jonathan's 5.1 Article

Jonathan's 5.1 Article

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Have you ever had the opportunity to hear a recording mixed specifically for 5.1 audio?

Yes
30%
No
48%
Five-Point What?
21%

Total votes : 33

Jonathan's 5.1 Article

Postby bluejupetopher » Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:49 am

I tend to agree with Jonathan that 5.1 audio is an altogether new and wonderful way to experience a cappella. Although I haven't heard the Mad Hatters/Tangled up in Blue CD in its 5.1 format, I've had experience with mixing and producing a cappella in the 5.1 environment through college. One of my final projects in the spring term of 2001 was a 5.1 mix of a song called "Heaven's Highest Hill," one of the first songs Blue Jupiter ever recorded. I was inspired to try it after surveying many pop and rock albums in 5.1, and realizing that NO genre of music had more to gain from surround sound than a cappella. (If anyone has the tools to do it, listen to The Eagles' "Seven Bridges Road" on the remastered 5.1 edition of "Hell Freezes Over," and you'll see what I mean.) Whereas many instrumental styles get muddy and confusing when mixed in surround sound, voices simply come alive.
Tragically (for me) due to a logistical error at my school, I'm pretty sure there is no existing copy of our "Heaven's Highest Hill" in 5.1. The school didn't allow students to take multitrack tapes from the building at the time.
Anyway... listen, record, produce, and promote vocal music in 5.1. You'll be glad you tried it.
<www.bluejupiter.com>
bluejupetopher

Postby seth » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:54 pm

Does your poll include movies or just music?
seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Movies or Just Music

Postby bluejupetopher » Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:08 am

Music only. Music mixed for musical effect in 5.1 is drastically different than music mixed into a movie that utilizes 5.1 audio.
<www.bluejupiter.com>
bluejupetopher

Postby erin » Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:02 am

erin

Postby Treymix » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:29 pm

Treymix
RARB
RARB

Postby jskaroff » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:40 pm

jskaroff

5.1...The New Stereo

Postby barden » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:06 pm

barden

Re: 5.1...The New Stereo

Postby Treymix » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:32 pm

treymix studios

U-Mich Fermata 1998-1999
U-Mich Counterpointe 1999-2000
Treymix
RARB
RARB

Re: Movies or Just Music

Postby hpdog259962 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:52 am

Hpdog259962
hpdog259962

Postby Neil » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:39 am

Neil Malek
NSA Alum
Neil

Postby sparkleytone » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:51 pm

Hmmm. This is something that I am quite weary of. I am not convinced that this is necessary for 90% of all music. The day I listen to a Beethoven symphony in 5.1 sound is the day that I scream bloody murder for hours on end. 5.1 sound in music, in my opinion, should be reserved for performers that implement its features in its live sound. After all, thats really what it is all about to me; putting down on a recorded medium a record of what you or your group performs.
sparkleytone

Postby seth » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:46 pm

seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ericskalinder » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:01 pm

ericskalinder
RARB
RARB

Return to zzCommunity Reviews