Mixing...producer or mixing engineer?

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Postby ericskalinder » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:33 am

Mr. D# Money wrote:[A soloist buried in the mix]...is it the fault of the mixing engineer? Or is it really the fault of the group, in that their taste or way they desired the track to be mixed left the soloist buried in the mix?

Yes. :)

Eric Skalinder

"Ahhh, Mr. Newman. Hero."
ericskalinder
RARB
RARB

Re: Mixing...producer or mixing engineer?

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:34 am

g money wrote:I was listening to what will remain an unnamed acappella cd today at work, and noticed again that some amazing soloists remained buried in the mix.

I remebered that quite a few reviews use these exact words or similar "the mixing engineer left soloists buried in the mix, as if to hide them"

My question is this...is it the fault of the mixing engineer? Or is it really the fault of the group, in that their taste or way they desired the track to be mixed left the soloist buried in the mix?

I would dare say the onus is on the group that is producing the cd, or whoever is in charge to listen to these tracks and notice what is going on, and ask the mixing engineer to bring the solo forward etc.

Any takers? bait bait bait...

I think that, for many collegiate groups, much of the Producer role is done by the engineer. This is probably because the members of the group who are helping with the mixing don't have as much experience in the studio as the engineer does. Engineers often have to wear the Producer hat just to get the CD done.

You've also gotta remember that a recording sounds a lot different in the studio with studio monitors than it does on a home stereo, walkman, car, or boombox. A soloist may sound clear in the studio but difficult to hear on a boombox. You've gotta play rough mixes on all of these to get an idea of what it will sound like to the listener.

-Chris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to zzCommunity Reviews