[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - recent review

recent review

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Postby billhare » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:04 am

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Postby ELandau » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:45 pm

ELandau
RARB
RARB

Postby jesset » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:28 pm

Elie's post reminded me of something...memory lane time...

When I was eleven years old, I joined a community boys choir, which was part of a larger choral organization that included an extremely skilled high school men's choir called the Young Men's Ensemble. An off-shoot of this choir was a five-man group called The Classics, and at the first winter concert of my 6th grade year, they became my first exposure to any kind of a cappella. They sang all the traditional cheesy tunes like I Can See Clearly Now, It's Alright, Change In My Life, etc., and I was completely and utterly blown away. So were the rest of us disgruntled pimple-faced middle school boys, most of whom had been forced to be in this choir by our well-meaning parents, and wanted to go home and play video games. Four of those same boys are now in On The Rocks, another I co-founded Dulcet with, and yet another I am starting a group in Portland with this fall.

Point being? Point is, one of the best parts about a cappella is that anyone who can sing can do this. By default, the genre lends itself to a strong Do-It-Yourself ethic. I know me and so many of my singing friends were inspired to be involved in a cappella because we saw groups and said, "That'll be me! Someday that's going to be me! I can sound like that too! My voice has that power! Not crazy expensive instruments, not sophisticated technology, my voice."

Will the overrun of studio technology tricks take away from that inspiration and ethic that I believe is so unique in a cappella? Maybe not. But it's something to to think about.
Southern Oregon University's , '05-'06
Sheldon High School's , '05
jesset

Postby sizzles » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:43 pm

hanging on a little... :-D

Cornell Chordials 2001-2005
www.chordials.com
sizzles

Postby dherriges » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:58 pm

dherriges

Postby billhare » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:08 pm

billhare

Postby jrhailey » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:15 pm

Josh Hailey
, '02-'05
jrhailey

Postby AVModelCadet » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:02 am

Last edited by AVModelCadet on Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why do we get caught in a net of problems, like a butterfly in a web, when we can choose to fly through the holes?"

http://www.academicalvillagepeople.com/
http://myspace.com/academicalvillagepeople
AVModelCadet

Postby billhare » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:35 pm

billhare

Postby jrhailey » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:09 pm

Josh Hailey
, '02-'05
jrhailey

Postby billhare » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:11 pm

billhare

Postby dekesharon » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:32 am

- Deke Sharon • 800.579.9305 • http://www.dekesharon.com

dekesharon

Previous

Return to zzCommunity Reviews