[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Divisi's Undivided

Divisi's Undivided

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Divisi's Undivided

Postby lcmike » Sun May 14, 2006 3:16 pm

I found this review to be interesting and somewhat peculiar. It happens to be a favorite album of mine, and being an uber fan of Divisi, I'd like to bring up a few things that are bugging me.

With no disrespect to Kimmie Raschka, I found her review somewhat half-cocked. She wrote that there were "Typical Divisi problems," but failed to give a definitive answer as to what this was.

The other curious part for me was the creativity score. I'll grant you that some of these songs have been done a number of times, but Divisi's arrangements, passion, and charisma are unmatched. Mind you, this creativity score is in spite of "Yeah!" and "Imagine," which both received high praise for being unique.

Anyhow, just my thoughts.

-Mike
Last Call ('03-'07)
www.menoflastcall.com
Cornell University '07
lcmike

Postby jesset » Sun May 14, 2006 3:53 pm

^Agreed on all counts. There's a few hit-and-misses for everybody on Undivided, but even on the oft-covered songs I think it's fair to say that Divisi makes each number their own.
Southern Oregon University's , '05-'06
Sheldon High School's , '05
jesset

Postby jonpilat » Mon May 15, 2006 12:10 pm

I think it's the best all-women's collegiate a cappella album to date. The mixture of talent, soul, arranging, and production has been rarely eclipsed on any collegiate album.

I am also unclear on what a typical Divisi problem is. But, I'd love to hear what it is. Also what a typical hookslide problem is :)
jonpilat

Postby billhare » Mon May 15, 2006 12:43 pm

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Postby dekesharon » Mon May 15, 2006 1:15 pm

- Deke Sharon • 800.579.9305 • http://www.dekesharon.com

dekesharon

Postby phollens » Mon May 15, 2006 2:35 pm

www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Postby Cutter » Mon May 15, 2006 7:27 pm

Mike Boxer
Halfway Coherent Productions

Alum of Kaskeset and the Binghamton Crosbys
Cutter

Postby uscpossum » Mon May 15, 2006 8:05 pm

Kimberly Raschka Sailor
RARB Editor-in-Chief
ICCA/ICHSA Adjudicator
uscpossum
RARB
RARB

Postby Box_Beatin_Lady » Tue May 16, 2006 3:28 am

So, since I've always been curious myself, I decided to look and see how RARB defines itself. And here's what the first sentence is (in the "What is RARB?" section):

"The Recorded A Cappella Review Board (RARB) was set up in 1993 to give a cappella groups a chance to have their album reviewed by our board and to give potential buyers and listeners some insight about each album."

Though it sounds like it's more geared toward potential buyers/listeners, the first part does sound like the other part of RARB's mission statement is to give feedback/commentary to the group. Whether or not it's supposed to be helpful, I have no idea.

That didn't really clear up much of anything for me, but I just figured I'd toss that in there for others to debate.
My lip gloss does nothing. Damn it.

NYC Red States = New Hotness
http://www.redacappella.com
Box_Beatin_Lady

Postby jthelegend » Tue May 16, 2006 3:36 pm

j. cannon
::2004-2007::
the panic room::producer-engineer::
member of the network
jthelegend

Postby Box_Beatin_Lady » Thu May 18, 2006 6:22 am

My lip gloss does nothing. Damn it.

NYC Red States = New Hotness
http://www.redacappella.com
Box_Beatin_Lady

Postby tekay » Thu May 18, 2006 9:36 am

[color=#8040BF] CASA Dir. of Ambassador Program SoJam Producer & Concert Mgr Sing Producer CAL jd All Things A Cappella FOTS #1 ICCA Producer Emeritus "the

tekay
RARB
RARB

Postby mcbc » Thu May 18, 2006 9:43 am

mcbc

Postby dherriges » Thu May 18, 2006 12:36 pm

dherriges

Postby Mahka » Fri May 19, 2006 4:32 am

~Mark
Formerly of the
Looking for a group in SF?
ICCA/ICHSA Judge, Producer