Dear Abbeys review

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Postby billhare » Wed May 31, 2006 6:49 pm

jduchan wrote:and might just show up in some of my dissertation writing!

Josh

See, Elie? All of our hard work paid off! I'm tired now.

-B

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments. http://www.dyz.com

billhare

Postby jesset » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:29 am

Reading this thread really has been a nice reminder of the uniquely positive and friendly attitude we have in our community...anyways:

On the note of professionals needing to alter notes themselves in favor of style and attitude, I was talking to a guy the other day who had done production work on a Chili Peppers album, and told me Anthony Kiedis can't sing in tune to save his life. They had to alter almost everything he sang.

...I have no point, I just thought it was relevant. =)
Southern Oregon University's Dulcet, '05-'06
Sheldon High School's Arnie's Discount Harmonies, '05
jesset

Postby billhare » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:00 am

Jesse wrote:I was talking to a guy the other day who had done production work on a Chili Peppers album, and told me Anthony Kiedis can't sing in tune to save his life. They had to alter almost everything he sang.

This is very common these days - the biggest stars sometimes need more help than the collegiate A Cappella singers who are covering their songs when it comes to "singing" issues. But what still separates the pros from the amateurs is delivering the attitude and and drama of the lyrics.

-B

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments. http://www.dyz.com

billhare

Postby jrhailey » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:10 am

Jesse wrote:On the note of professionals needing to alter notes themselves in favor of style and attitude, I was talking to a guy the other day who had done production work on a Chili Peppers album, and told me Anthony Kiedis can't sing in tune to save his life. They had to alter almost everything he sang.

Oh definitely! You can hear his strained and subsequently tuned vocals especially on RHCP's newest album Stadium Arcadium. Try listening to "Especially in Michigan" track 10 on disc 1. Around 1:11, you can hear what was probably terrible before the studio magic. I will say this: I think Kiedis is at a point in his life where his voice is probably in better shape than it's ever been, which is allowing him to take more vocal risks, sing more melodic lines in a higher register, etc.

For more evidence of Kiedis' inability to sing on pitch, read his autobiography Scar Tissue or watch the DVD Red Hot Chili Peppers Live at Slane Castle. Despite this, Kiedis and the Chilis put on such a great show. Who's going to see them in concert?? I AM, I AM!! I'm kind of a fan, in case you couldn't tell.
Josh Hailey
Academical Village People, '02-'05
jrhailey

Previous

Return to zzCommunity Reviews