[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Incognita Review

Incognita Review

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Incognita Review

Postby randomval » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:40 pm

Okay. I know that a group member responding negatively to a review invariably sounds whiney and ridiculous, and thus I should keep my mouth shut. However...I felt that certain comments made in the Incognita review were unnecessary and made me feel just a little indignant. To quote the Dave Trendler's review:

"Some ethnic groups lean toward a common soloist tone. The Asian-American soloists I've heard often sing from the back of the throat and sometimes a little nasally."

I'm unsure how Random Voices gets classified as an "ethnic" group, to begin with. A large percentage of group members happen not to be white, but we sing what I would call pretty typical collegiate a cappella fare, so I don't see how that is reflected in our music. I also understand that the wording of the statement "The Asian-American soloists I've heard often sing from the back of the throat and sometimes a little nasally" is very carefully hedged not to say something like "All Asian-American soloists are nasal and sing from the back of their throats," but then the inclusion of the ethnicity of the soloists in question is irrelevant. Why not just say "The soloists (particularly on Goodbye and Goodnight Moon) seemed to be singing from the backs of their throats"? It would have gotten the point across without making any unnecessary ethnic statements.

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive, especially considering that I'm one of the soloists mentioned. I am not trying to imply any deliberate racism or malice on Dave's part. I found most of his review helpful and positive. This particular remark just caught me off-guard, and I felt compelled to respond.
Val Moy
Random Voices Member 2003-2005
randomval

Re: Incognita Review

Postby Johnsapella » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:22 pm

Testostertones, 1999-2003
, 2003-2008
ACappellate Opinions, 2008-present
Learned Band, 2009-present
Johnsapella

Re: Incognita Review

Postby dherriges » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:16 pm