[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Incognita Review

Incognita Review

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Postby Mahka » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:13 pm

~Mark
Formerly of the
Looking for a group in SF?
ICCA/ICHSA Judge, Producer
CARA Nominator/Judge
And all that jazz
Mahka

Postby borski » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:30 am

borski

Postby davecharliebrown » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:39 am

--Dave Brown

now: Mouth Off host | ICCA & CARA Judge

then: CASA president, CASAcademy director, CASA Bd of Directors | BYU Vocal Point | Noteworthy co-foun
davecharliebrown

Postby Mahka » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:16 am

~Mark
Formerly of the
CARA Nominator/Judge
And all that jazz
Mahka

Postby davetrendler » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:57 pm

davetrendler
RARB
RARB

Postby Mahka » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:25 pm

~Mark
Formerly of the
CARA Nominator/Judge
And all that jazz
Mahka

Postby davetrendler » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:05 pm

davetrendler
RARB
RARB

Postby sparkleytone » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:43 pm

American society has become an annoying batch of whiners. The man carefully chose his words to bring up a point that was completely within the context of the material and made sure that it was not offensive. He worded it in a way that would only be offensive to those looking to be offended.

RARB: actively contributing to Asian mathiness through acaganda...
Brent Stephens, BAMF
sparkleytone

Postby sizzles » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:45 pm

yeah. i do like to hear these kind of statements explained out, because almost invariably the more I hear the more I disagree with. Hence short statements from me.

some other guy - "He worded it in a way that would only be offensive to those looking to be offended."
This is tortured logic. Try to think more.

DT - "In my experience, this group of singers often sings this way."
Yes, I understand what you think. It's very clear that you are making a generalization that works tolerably well but doesn't fit everyone. This is intuitively obvious. The problem is that I see a glaring lack of utility. When this statement is used, I don't see anything good coming from it. That is the main problem. That is why this generalization isn't helpful. In Berkeley, I would need more to think this was worth saying. In NY, it's pretty common to hear generalizations without obvious utility.
Race is taboo because of the obvious past. Because of the relationship to a long and tumultuous history in America, I expect good things to come from race talk, not just categorization.

So just let me know how saying that whatever group you're talking about sings with two pretty negative adjectives, "from the back of the throat and sometimes a little nasally," is helpful and I'm cool with all of it. The genetic/cultural part of this discussion makes this seem kind of unlikely to me. It means that it is unlikely that whatever characteristics are there will be changed. I would expect something constructive to follow it. "Here is what you should do." "I defer to those that are more knowledgeable than I and whom are those I am talking about."

I don't think what you're talking about is a stylization, I think it's too negative to be called a style. It seems more like a problem from what you say. So fix it. Or say you're totally cool with it, but if you were, you wouldn't have said anything at all. ;-)
hanging on a little... :-D

Cornell Chordials 2001-2005
www.chordials.com
sizzles

Postby Tippy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:37 am

Tippy

Postby davetrendler » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Sizzles,

I'm really not sure what you're getting at.

However, there is something good that can very easily come out of my comment. It is this:

Asian-American singers: in my experience and to my ears, some of you tend to sing from the back of the throat and slightly nasally. I don't know why. Be aware of this and you may avoid a vocal tone that might otherwise be distracting to a listener.

I think this is an obvious, constructive lesson, and it was certainly part of my intent in my review.

Dave T.
davetrendler
RARB
RARB

Previous

Return to zzCommunity Reviews