[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Off the Beat "Kenophobia"

Off the Beat "Kenophobia"

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Off the Beat "Kenophobia"

Postby harry » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:36 pm

Great new cd from OTB! Follows similar production patterns to Float, but I think I like this one even more (and i only knew a few of the songs beforehand). Great energy. Great percussion. Solos are strong throughout--none as amazing as Morgan McOwen's were (but not much is) and the standouts include soloists on "When We are One" "Breathe Me" and the amazing imitation of Coldplay on "Fix You."

The complex arrangement and energy on "The Crowing" is ridiculous!! Should win some CARAs.

Favorite songs are "Question," "Lights and Sounds" "When We are One" "The Crowing" and "Hide and Seek."

Anyone else hear the CD yet? thoughts?
harry

Postby J Fi » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:24 pm

J Fi

Postby acageek » Fri May 25, 2007 8:02 pm

Jacob
acageek

Postby Chris » Fri May 25, 2007 8:22 pm

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby J Fi » Sun May 27, 2007 12:38 pm

I'd have to agree with what's being said about something new from OTB. I really looked up to them and what they do for a couple of albums, but after "Burn Like a Roman Candle," they lost me with all the jin-jo-no's and nods at random songs in their arrangements. Float, for as much recognition as it got, didn't impress me for these reasons, and Kenophobia has accomplished the same thing. There are moments in Kenophobia when they have me (most of Question!, for instance... except for the "jo jah no no question of a jo jah no no system of a"). But then there were things that just threw me off. I couldn't get myself into pressure with the blatant use of lyrics as syllables and... and this really threw me off... the "Sweetness" reference in what should be a really cool space break in that song. Basically what I'm saying is OTB has the talent to do so much more than they are doing. They're taking on this shape that is starting to be boring when they have the ability to be unpredictable and spontaneous and succeed at that.

I don't mean to say it was a bad album. For what they do, it was well done and all. I just think they need to do something different. I vote out with the old and in with the new, whatever that "new" might be[/quote]
J Fi

Postby ajg55 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:18 am

ajg55

Return to zzCommunity Reviews