"turn it up" - ascending height

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

"turn it up" - ascending height

Postby jthelegend » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:02 pm

i just wanna say fantastic job to robert and the boys for a wonderful album of originals. i'm not gonna stroke your ego quite as much as the reviewers robert :-), but anyone that has a chance should def seek out and buy this album. they've done something that even some of the best collegiate groups haven't done. "setup for the fall" being my favorite track from the cd with dietz on a fantastic lead and a great arrangement behind him. good luck in the future rob! ithacappella is lucky to have you buddy.
j. cannon
Cornell Chordials::2004-2007::
the panic room::producer-engineer::
member of the VocalSource network
jthelegend

Postby tat-tong » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:39 am

Wow, what a fantastic review! Congratulations, Rob and the rest of AH! All your hard work was not for naught... :)

On a personal note, I was quite overwhelmed by the 5.0 production score (my first, I think...) and the really nice things the reviewers had to say! As always, I'm continually looking to hone my craft, and the comments from the reviewers about the slight over-tuning of stuff were pretty spot-on in my opinion.

Jonathan rightly pointed out that the choice is not always clear cut - and especially on an album like this with young voices, it was definitely a challenge to strike a balance between intonation and humanity. This is a thin line that people like Bill manage to negotiate really well - something that I'll have to continue to work on and refine as I grow as a musician.

Lastly, I just wanna echo the reviewers' comments to look out for Robert Dietz's future a cappella stuff! The kid's got amazing talent, and always gave me only the best tracks to work with. Kudos...
Tat Tong
Producer | Engineer | Songwriter | Arranger | Publisher

T2 Productions
Managed by Universal Music (Publishing)
An award-winning member of the VocalSource network.
tat-tong

Postby adune55 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:18 am

Thanks James and Tat. You guys were both big parts of this project and we really appreciate all the hard work you put in to make this album what it was. James, your ear is always spot on when it comes to working with contemporary music and I'm glad you lent it to us with your comments on this project. Tat, congratulations right back at you on this great review. Your work never ceases to impress me and I'm glad you're getting the positive feedback you deserve.

Finally, thank you especially to Jonathan, Jevan, and TeKay. I really appreciate the kind words, and even more so I appreciate the time you guys took to comment thoughtfully on my music. The feedback is great to get.

One thought I'd like to add. The reviewers mentioned him a little bit, but I think it's important to recognize the impact that Abel McSurely Bradshaw had on this album. He's an incredible songwriter, and his work on Step and Sweet Dreams (which was really his song that I arranged and added on to) did a lot to make this album what it was. Tekay mentioned the screaming in Step; that was actually Abel. I'm sorry that it grated on you man, but honestly I wouldn't change it for the world. I love the energy and power that his voice brings to that track.

Anyway, thanks so much to everybody for your support and advice during our years as a group. I don't know what the other guys are planning, but I for one hope to keep making a cappella music for as long as I can.

Robert
adune55
RARB
RARB

Return to zzCommunity Reviews