The Pitchforks "Bring It Back"

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

The Pitchforks "Bring It Back"

Postby RnBMrE » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:49 pm

Congrats to a fellow Duke group! Great review guys!

Clearly lots of praises to echo... Nevermind, Hysteria, Used to Love You, The First Single all come to mind. And huge props to Joseph Bates, in particular. 8.5 (amazing) arrangements, 3 harmonies, 1 composition, 1 year of MD'ing, AND editing on ALL the tracks?!?

Also want to point out that I'm a huge fan of their "Hard to Handle", though it got average marks. It's definitely my favorite aca version of the song I've heard.

Perhaps even more stand-out among the supposed covered-too-many-times tracks is "Tribute". The Forks' version is one of my favorite a cappella songs EVER. I dare you to show me one that's better.

In his review, Tom Czerwinski wrote:I give great props to the Pitchforks for offering the closing track to Duke's women's group, Out of the Blue. That's a classy move all the way.

In his review, Thomas King wrote:Just in passing, I'd like to give a congrats out to whoever thought of the idea to start cross-promoting albums with Out of the Blue.

Congrats and great props, indeed. Maybe next go-round RnB can get in the mix for a little three-way action, eh? ;-)

Matt Emery CASA Director of Communications Three-time Recipient of RARB "Post of the Year" Title

RnBMrE

Postby dherriges » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:10 am

I still love "Mala Gente" a bit more every time I listen to it. Possibly the best a cappella arrangement I've ever heard. It's unbelievable. (And great performance of said unbelievable arrangement, too!)
dherriges

Postby H.F. » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:06 am

One of the most dead-on RARB reviews that I have read in a while. Really excellent work, guys.

It's a bit odd to think that this CD's overall scores were the same as the last one's, but when you look at/listen to the weaker/more played out tracks on the disc (Your Song, Black Balloon, Hard To Handle, Somewhere North and (comparatively-speaking only) Breathe), I'd have to give it a 4 as well. Even with truly incredible tracks like Hysteria, Mala Gente, Nevermind, Mother's, Used to, etc, when looking at the album as a whole, I have to agree with pretty much everything in every review...except the lack of emotion comment. While I hear that in some tracks (would YOU get excited about singing Your Song? :), tracks like the ones mentioned above fairly bristle with emotion. Perhaps on the next CD they'd be better served with just releasing the best of the best, and making the rest available for download...or just recording more Hysterias/Mala Gentes?

Anyway, rambling a bit, sorry. Really quality reviews, really quality disc.
H.F.

Postby Brojo » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:04 am

i would echo that sentiment almost exactly. the reviewers' comments were dead on.

as much as i didn't approve of the inclusion of all those extra ballads, i do see the positive side: sales. tom's boyband statement wasn't too far from the truth from the sheltered campus perspective, and let's be honest - freshman girls eat that crap up.

the emotion statement applies to every college album ever, with maybe 2 exceptions (neither of which are pitchforks albums). i know i'm not the first to bring it up, but while the improvements in editing and mixing technology have certainly stepped up the quality of collegiate a cappella tremendously, they also act as a crutch. emoting through the listeners' speakers is still up to the singers - not up to PT. i feel that a couple of the songs on Bring it Back nailed it, but certainly not all. it's an area in which every group can improve.

anyway, great reviews fellas. thanks for your hard work. i'm very proud to have been a part of putting the album together.
Brojo
RARB
RARB

Postby tat-tong » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:36 pm

Wow, just listened to the clips on Diovoce.net and got goosebumps all over. Hysteria is truly exceptional. Congrats to the Pitchforks, Joe Bates and Dio for such a spectacular production! :)
Tat Tong
Producer | Engineer | Songwriter | Arranger | Publisher

T2 Productions
Managed by Universal Music (Publishing)
An award-winning member of the VocalSource network.
tat-tong

Return to zzCommunity Reviews