ScatterTones / ToasterScent

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

ScatterTones / ToasterScent

Postby scatterjan » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:39 am

The review for ToasterScent just came out, with a not-too-shabby 3.7 overall! As CD manager from the very first track to the last one, I am so freaking relieved. I was hoping for a "not too bad for a debut album!" and we got it.

I wanted to clear some things up, especially regarding Rebecca's review. The title "ToasterScent" is an anagram of "ScatterTones" -- we fought for a long time about whether to name this album "ToasterScent" or "Otter's Ascent" (or just go with "Scatterpwned"). I voted for Otters, but whatever.

Another thing to clear up - our last track, DDR Mix, is not just a random mix of techno dance songs. It's actually four of the (indeed bad-in-italics) original songs from Konami's Dance Dance Revolution Playstation 2 game. We recognized that some people wouldn't get it (also wouldn't get the title of the album) but it's a chance we took, since the Asian-FOB-heavy UCLA freaking goes crazy for that song.

In the end, I hope there's something for everyone on this album, and it looks like it is from the opposing opinions (like on Shut Up) of the reviewers on some of the tracks.

P.S. Oh, and Gabe fucking rocks - thanks Gabe!
Scattertones, Mixed A Cappella, UCLA
www.scattertones.com
scatterjan

Postby Mahka » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:11 pm

I'd just like to echo (no pun intended) Janet's comments above, and that a 3.7 for a debut album, recorded across the years, is a good way to end the year.

And a 3.7 is exactly what I predicted many, many months ago. I've been reading RARB a little too long.
~Mark
Formerly of the UCLA ScatterTones
Looking for a group in SF?
ICCA/ICHSA Judge, Producer
CARA Nominator/Judge
And all that jazz
Mahka

Clips

Postby scatterjan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:04 pm

P.P.S. I should mention that you can hear clips of all the songs at www.scattertones.com and you can hear the entirety of some of the songs (I'll Make a Man Out of You, There There, Mr. Brightside, and Since U Been Gone) at www.myspace.com/scattertones.

Personally, I think Katrina fucking rocks out on Since U Been Gone and deserves more credit. Come on - original key, in her chest voice, AND she can do it live, no problem!
www.scattertones.com
scatterjan

Postby tekay » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:51 am

gah, i must be getting old, as seeing curse words in a public posting seems so declasse.
ah well.

looking forward to hearing the album.

[color=#8040BF]http://www.rarb.org/people/thomas-king.html http://www.deltacappella.com CASA Dir. of Ambassador Program SoJam Producer & Concert Mgr Sing Producer CAL jd All Things A Cappella FOTS #1 ICCA Producer Emeritus "the

tekay
RARB
RARB

Postby H.F. » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:57 am

tekay wrote:gah, i must be getting old, as seeing curse words in a public posting seems so declasse.
ah well.

looking forward to hearing the album.

Especially coming from a girl...say what you will, just rubs me the wrong way. <shrug>
H.F.

Postby scatterjan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:55 am

I'll take cursing over sexism any day.

Sorry if I offended, but it's a little less declasse when one is using it to convey how positive something is, no? Only intense words like the F word could convey how amazing Gabe and Katrina are.

And everyone loved the lyric "America, fuck yeah!" from "Team America: World Police," and that was the classiest movie ever, right?
www.scattertones.com
scatterjan

Postby H.F. » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:15 am

As I said, say what you will (and the sexism comment was what I meant), just my personal opinion. It's not offensive to me at all, it's just kind of distasteful coming from a woman - not the sort of thing I'd want to bring home to mom or anyone else. I realize you may find that sexist; that's your prerogative, and I don't mean to offend you, tho I can see that it did and can understand that.

And I think what Tekay was saying was that seeing it in print was what got to him (tho I may be wrong). I don't think referencing Team America (as awesome as that line was in the context of the movie) is quiiiiite applicable :) I guess I don't think it (the f-bomb) helps your cause tho, in this context.

Anyway, I probably should have just kept my admittedly hypocritical and sexist view silent. I do wish your group the best with the new CD :)
H.F.

Postby H.F. » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:22 am

I'd also add that I just checked out "Since You Been Gone" on your myspace page, and I can definitely second your sentiment, if not your verbiage :) She sounds terrific.
H.F.

Postby ariel » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:35 am

H.F. wrote: it's just kind of distasteful coming from a woman - not the sort of thing I'd want to bring home to mom or anyone else.

well whoop de shit.

why should she care whether or not you'd bring her home to mom? A CAPPELLA FORUM.

congrats to the ScatterTones! Great debut score. I look forward to listening with pleasure.
CASA Board 09/10
Elegant Catastrophe Singers 2008 - 2009
Downtown Crossing 2004 - 2007
Stanford Harmonics 2001-2004
ariel

Postby H.F. » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:04 am

Well, I was really using "I" in a collective sense But in another sense, you're right, good point.

Now then, goooooo Scattertones! I meant what I said about the soloist for Since You Been Gone. Hot stuff: http://www.myspace.com/scattertones
H.F.

Postby phollens » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Let me just say that "w00t" should now be entered for all F bombs on the Rarb forum to clear up any fights.

Along with any other word you would like. w00t it up.

That is all

Thank you.
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Return to zzCommunity Reviews