RE: Tufts Amalgamates - Baggage Claim

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Postby RnBMrE » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:43 pm

Stixnstr wrote:it also does not help to reside in the shadow of the bubs' 45 year history (45 years of alumni to prod for cash, too)

I just thought this was hilarious because there have been multiple posts that turned into "How do the Bubs get their money to record?" where people randomly said they get so many benefits and dollars from the alums. From the many posts I've read, here's the low-down: they don't get money from their alums. And they get a couple gigs a year through alums. Deke, other Bubs, correct me if I'm wrong... but hopefully this won't turn into that kinda thing haha.

For all the other stuff, ditto to what James said. :-D

Matt Emery CASA Director of Communications Three-time Recipient of RARB "Post of the Year" Title

RnBMrE

Postby mattootb » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:34 am

dherriges wrote:Also, on a different note: is it just me or have RARB reviewers' standards for college albums gotten significantly higher just in the past year or so? I don't know if that speaks to a dramatic upsurge in the general quality of college a cappella being released - that'd be cool if it does. I just feel like I've seen a LOT of albums getting straight 4's recently that I really expected to do better than that, and the veteran reviewers seem like they're being much more sparing with giving out 5's than they ever used to be. Even albums that have been praised to high heaven by the a cappella community aren't getting the top scores - look at Divisi's latest, for example. So I really feel like by no means should you view a 4 as any kind of a failure or rejection of what you've done.

There's no doubt about this, and the one thing I can tell you for sure about our new album is that it's way more than 0.3 better than our album before! The standard worldwide just keeps on rising and they're not gonna give everyone a 5!
Out of the Blue (Oxford) 2004-2006
Last Minute (BBC TV) 2008
The Refrains (London) 2011-
mattootb

Postby magnolia » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:06 am

This whole post just makes me feel awkward and uneasy.

To the 'mates: Much respect for defining your own distinct sound and sticking to it, every group should hopefully try to find a niche for itself and grow within it and try to expand beyond it whenever they can. Regardless of if you hate block chords, or you love them, if thats the way the group wants to go, no one can bash your reasons - but they can decide if they like it or not.

FYI: Juxtaposition has taken the last 3 years to redefine and filter its sound - after a CD which got 'ok' reviews (4.3 i think) and going to ICCA Finals in 2004, the group learned some very important things. From live performance, to image, to competition, to recorded CD. For the reason of having their own defined sound and sticking to it independent of the a cappella world around them.

As a whole, Juxta stays away from block chords. We like complex arrangements with interweaved parts and strategic highlighting of each vocal part in each song. We aim for truness to origonals, as well as, our own unique touches on songs. We always aim for words over syllables (a jin, jow, chang will not be found in many tracks). We pride ourselves on live performance, and preserving live performance aspects on our albums, while still hoping to explore, experiment, and exploit all of the recording technologies and techniques available to us.

So, some people will like that - some people will not - but we pride ourselves in our work, and hope that as many people as possible enjoy listening to us perform.

[Note: This is only my personal image of the group dynamic after my two years there...however, I hope it gives some perspective. Be yourself, enjoy your music, explore options but remain defined.]
Matthew T. Bolling
Magnolia Productions, LLC | www.magnoliaproductions.com
Founder & President, VocalBluR | Richmond, VA | www.vocalblur.com
Alumni & Past-president, Virginia Tech's Juxtaposition | www.vtjuxta.com
magnolia

Postby Randomnyc » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:22 pm

I empathize with Matt here. The entire problem of RARB and the RARB forum and the industrialization of a cappella is that it glorifies what used to be a fun extracurricular into a defining characteristic of one's life. For some folks, taking people's voices and manipulaitng them with machines and then seeing their name glorified on here is the ultimate success. For others, that's a sell out and anything but unadulterated voice is
And for many others, a cappella was something they did to pass the time in college, meet cool chicks, make good friends, and enjoy their art.

Theres a bit of social responsibility on this board. 19-20 year olds in college do not have the proper perspective to realize how little their 4 years in a cappella, and what some reviewers think, will affect their lives in the end.

RARB and CASA have created a monster- making children think that a "failed" album is a personal failure. As the tone on this board gets harsher and harsher, I'm reminded of how personally I would have taken such talk five years ago. Now, I often sigh, and other times titter, because I think as we all get older, whether we stay in the "business" or not, we learn how to deal with these monsters better.

And Im sure my illustrious Ithaca friend will respond with some comment about how much he knows at 19. But every 19 year old knows everything. Thats the point of beign 19.
Randomnyc

Postby jthelegend » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:40 pm

Randomnyc wrote:And Im sure my illustrious Ithaca friend will respond with some comment about how much he knows at 19. But every 19 year old knows everything. Thats the point of beign 19.

actually 21 going on 22, but as i digress. the whole tone of my retort was that he shouldn't take it so seriously and that if he truly believes in what he is doing then there should be no way in hell that i or anyone else should be able to deter him from the sound in which he chooses for his own album. had you read my posts for real rather than making conjecture about what you believed my intent was, then you wouldn't be making an ass of yourself.
sincerely,
james

ps, i don't know everything, nor do i pretend that i do. i am opinionated and i make comments about what i believe...just like anyone else on this board.
j. cannon
Cornell Chordials::2004-2007::
the panic room::producer-engineer::
member of the VocalSource network
jthelegend

Postby lcmike » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Randomnyc wrote:And Im sure my illustrious Ithaca friend will respond with some comment about how much he knows at 19. But every 19 year old knows everything. Thats the point of beign 19.

Clearly you, currently in your mid 20's, have learned a great deal about life and the way it works - especially since you've stayed anonymous all this time. I respect your right to have an opinion, but there is no honor in slinging mud and hiding behind an anonymous screename. Criticizing someone out from an anonymous screename is spineless and cowardly. But what do I know? I'm only 22, and lack the life experiences you've had.

Randomnyc wrote: 19-20 year olds in college do not have the proper perspective to realize how little their 4 years in a cappella, and what some reviewers think, will affect their lives in the end.

I'm sorry that you didn't get any lasting joy out of your a cappella career. I, personally, along with many others, I would imagine, have gotten so much out of it. After my graduation when I'm sitting in some crappy cubicle, I'll think back on my time at Cornell, and remember fondly all the times I sang with my brothers in an arch. It has been the definition of my life here, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

And please, do not tell me, or anyone else, that because of our age, that we are not capable of appreciation. In my case, I don't hold it against you that you're in your mid-20's and still don't know anything about respect, honor, and accountability. Age is merely a number.

Randomnyc wrote: Theres a bit of social responsibility on this board.

I find it so bizarre that you speak of social responsibility while remaining anonymous. Where's your social responsibility? Stand up and claim your remarks.

Bottom line - until you're willing to reveal your identity, maybe it's time to lay off criticizing other people here. Most of us are good people with good intentions, but sometimes we get emotional. Matt was. So was James. I have a hard time believing that either was deliberately malicious in their remarks. But I digress.

Your opinion is most welcome around here. But until you're ready to make a comment with your actual name attached to it, I won't value it in the slightest. Few people will.

Feel free to criticize me. But unless you attach your real name to it, I'll just laugh at it, because it won't mean anything.

-Mike
Last Call ('03-'07)
www.menoflastcall.com
Cornell University '07
lcmike

Postby Randomnyc » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:56 am

I have no idea what my anonymity has to do with social responsibility. But whatever.

If I was so spineless, would I bother to come on here and present a valid, contrary point, knowing Id be attacked personally? Laughing at someones comment because its anonymous is pretty darn stupid. Its a discussion board, not a journal article.

I never said that you shouldn't enjoy and treasure your time in your a cappella group. In fact, I believe that was the entire point of what I said. I said that the important parts will be the fun stuff, not what a RARB reviewer said. I also never attacked Matt or anyone else on this thread. Essentially, RARB reviewers used very negative tones to criticize several years of his work.In a small community, thats a) not very nice and b) very upsetting.

And yes, 5 years out of college does indeed give you some perspective on college.

I wasnt attacking any ones specific post, just knew that the hostile undergrads of Cornell would decide that any actual point that may be perceived as negative about college a cappella was unmerited.

Perhaps you'll realize this later in life, but sometimes people have reasons why they cant use their real names when they go on discussion boards. In your cases, for example, I would actually not recommend it if you plan on being anything other than a professional acappellican.
Randomnyc

Postby Box_Beatin_Lady » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:04 am

Randomnyc wrote:I empathize with Matt here. The entire problem of RARB and the RARB forum and the industrialization of a cappella is that it glorifies what used to be a fun extracurricular into a defining characteristic of one's life. For some folks, taking people's voices and manipulaitng them with machines and then seeing their name glorified on here is the ultimate success. For others, that's a sell out and anything but unadulterated voice is.

And for many others, a cappella was something they did to pass the time in college, meet cool chicks, make good friends, and enjoy their art.

Theres a bit of social responsibility on this board. 19-20 year olds in college do not have the proper perspective to realize how little their 4 years in a cappella, and what some reviewers think, will affect their lives in the end.

RARB and CASA have created a monster- making children think that a "failed" album is a personal failure. As the tone on this board gets harsher and harsher, I'm reminded of how personally I would have taken such talk five years ago. Now, I often sigh, and other times titter, because I think as we all get older, whether we stay in the "business" or not, we learn how to deal with these monsters better.

And Im sure my illustrious Ithaca friend will respond with some comment about how much he knows at 19. But every 19 year old knows everything. Thats the point of beign 19.

Several things...

A) Say what you will, but I think it's kind of a dick move that you took a thread about a 'mates alum and his questions regarding their album review, and made it into an excuse to antagonize individuals for your own personal reasons. For all your talk of maturity, that's a pretty immature thing to do.

B) This brings up a conversation I've had *MANY* times over the years, about how seriously a cappella is to be taken. That's up to the individual, and if they want a cappella to be nothing but fun, laughs and good times, then that's cool.

But I'm of the opinion that if you try to put yourself/your group out there by, for example, competing, or I don't know, making an album and sending it in for something like RARB to review it, you're opening yourself up to the possibility that people may or may not like what you've done.

There's nothing wrong with striving for more, and if people choose to facilitate that with honest opinions of their work from others (since they sent it in for RARB's consideration, I'm guessing that is what they were looking for), then they have to realize that honest, impartial, objective opinions are what they're going to get. Ultimately, it will only help them, if improvement is what they're aiming for.

And also, having your work scrutinized by others, whatever your work may be, is a fact of life; at some point, you're going to do something, someone else is going to have to review it, and they're not going to hold your hand all the time while they tell you what they honestly think.

Again, it's up to the group and the individual as to how far they want to take their collegiate a cappella career. And yes, it should be about fun; why do it if you don't enjoy it? But if a group willingly submits themselves for review in any way, they have to understand that the possibility exists of hearing some negative feedback.
My lip gloss does nothing. Damn it.

NYC Red States = New Hotness
http://www.redacappella.com
Box_Beatin_Lady

Postby mattootb » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:34 am

Randomnyc wrote:Essentially, RARB reviewers used very negative tones to criticize several years of his work.In a small community, thats a) not very nice and b) very upsetting.

I just don't get this at all. This album got a really pretty high rating. Check out one of the 1 or 2 star reviews to see what a bad review really means - I won't name names but there's a Yale group review I remember from about a year ago that really sticks in the memory.
Out of the Blue (Oxford) 2004-2006
Last Minute (BBC TV) 2008
The Refrains (London) 2011-
mattootb

Postby jthelegend » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:50 am

Matt, I agree. I really don't understand this whole "negative tone" debate. Is a 4.0 not still a 4.0 regardless of the wording behind it? I know my group would personally have loved to trade the 2.7 review we received for our last effort for the 4.0 that was received by the amalgamates. so, i don't understand the anger that sparked this thread.
to randomnyc, whoever you are, if you truly wish to impart some sort of wisdom upon me, then you might do yourself a service and come out with who you are. even if you make a valid point, people struggle to take points from people they do not know...it's kind of the "don't trust sketchy strangers with candy" idea that we were all taught as kids. if you feel that in your few years on this earth longer than me that you have knowledge to bestow then please feel free to contact me in private. i'll keep your anonymity a secret, but someone as jaded as you sir, i would like to find out more about.
j. cannon
Cornell Chordials::2004-2007::
the panic room::producer-engineer::
member of the VocalSource network
jthelegend

Postby RnBMrE » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:54 am

Randomnyc wrote:I wasnt attacking any ones specific post, just knew that the hostile undergrads of Cornell would decide that any actual point that may be perceived as negative about college a cappella was unmerited.

So James, don't worry... he wasn't specifically attacking you. He was attacking all you hostile freakin' undergrads at Cornell. You guys, man, you guys...

The funny thing about it all, as you said, is that his entire post was a complete non sequitur from anything you were saying.

(James, did you get my email a while back? Still waiting on a reply! If not, will you drop me a line? My email address is on our website.)

In other news, I like what I've heard on the Amalgamates album and think that the reviewers did a solid job with the review.

Randomnyc wrote:And yes, 5 years out of college does indeed give you some perspective on college. Perhaps you'll realize this later in life, but sometimes people have reasons why they cant use their real names when they go on discussion boards. In your cases, for example, I would actually not recommend it if you plan on being anything other than a professional acappellican.

Alright so he's 5 years out of college, not a pelican, and most likely a secret agent. Looks like we're narrowing it down a bit. =D

Matt Emery CASA Director of Communications Three-time Recipient of RARB "Post of the Year" Title

RnBMrE

Postby RnBMrE » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:59 am

magnolia wrote:after a CD which got 'ok' reviews (4.3 i think)

4.3 is just OKAY?? Geez...

RnBMrE

Postby mcbc » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:08 am

You know at the very top of this thread I was going to say the same thing.

The album got a 4.3? (RARB lists a 4). Umm hello? Most people would kill for that. Regardless of whether the reviewers forgot to have some ginger, sorbet or a nice chianti to cleanse their palate after hearing all these "heavily processed" albums and before reviewing the 'mates album it was well received -- for whatever reason the album didn't take it to the next level for the RARBers.

I'd say more but the post was deleted. Pish posh on that. Seth? Post histories perchance ;) OH! I do remember something about how the 'mates strive for less production magic blah blah. I beg to differ. True they have a "sound" and awesome one at that -- they are one of the few groups that don't disappoint live. However, when "production magic" in college a cappella was just starting to get big ... one of the groups pushing "production magic" forward was the 'mates. I think their Uninvited Guests in 95 or 96 had an a cappella accordian solo that blew my mind the first time I heard it.

And even "I'm Your Baby Tonight" on BOCA 2K1 had much of the same "production magic" that the rest of the disc. It just happened to be an awesome track w/ a phenomenal lead.

But to the other direction of the thread ... Uh *awkward*. I think that 'idea' probably belongs in its own thread and not in a discussion about the 'mates.

I will say one thing about that ... if only to represent NYC in a different light ... College a cappella (and this will be a new high in nerdland for me) actually has affected my life post-college. Taught me a lot about business, people management, marketing, I even make business connections because of the people I've met. One of those connections I'll be working out a deal with this weekend.

Not to mention, being a current or former 'bub in the Boston area is probably a great pick-up line.
mcbc

Postby billhare » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:03 am

RnBMrE wrote:
Stixnstr wrote:it also does not help to reside in the shadow of the bubs' 45 year history (45 years of alumni to prod for cash, too)

I just thought this was hilarious because there have been multiple posts that turned into "How do the Bubs get their money to record?"

It's not about the money - you gotta be a good group with a great vision first. The last couple Bubs albums cost less (sometimes significantly less) to mix than several other collegiate groups I worked with in the same years. Some of those groups that spent much more got far less positive reviews and notoriety as well. Why? It's all about the music...

-B

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments. http://www.dyz.com

billhare

Postby Stixnstr » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:03 pm

I formally apologize to the Beelzebubs for claiming that they receieve money from their alumni. The Bubs work their butts off gigging all year to make the money they do.

What's more, I hold no stock in anything I said. If anyone else was offended and wants a formal apology, I would be glad to give it. I have gone through and deleted all my comments so as not to offend anyone else.

Once again, nothing I said comes from the Amalgamates as a group, but strictly from my own head. Good luck to everyone.

Matt...Out
Stixnstr

Previous

Return to zzCommunity Reviews