Realtime - Ain't That A Kick review

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Postby dekesharon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:01 am

One more thing I forgot to say (hard to believe!)

I'm a HUGE fan of groups like Realtime pushing the boundaries of barbershop, and not just because I'm a scallywag.

SPEBSQSA was founded decades after barbershop was no longer in vogue, and as such identified itself as a preservation society. It set standards which were originally pretty loose, and then tightened over time with a very rigorous set of guidelines and rules for everything from chord structure and progression to presentation and song choice. Understandable.

And yet some historical research into the roots of barbershop revealed that it was born of African-American musical traditions, and that the original singers were pretty much improvising on the pop tunes of their times.

If you think about it, that makes a group like the Persuasions in some ways more like a traditional barbershop group than the contest-ready quartets of today. Big paradigm shift for some people. Was for me.

And moreover, if you draw a straight line through the bridging century, you see that what they were doing then and what we're doing now is very similar: people singing pop music with just their voices. Those same folks plopped in our world listening to our radio stations may well end up sounding like modern vocal bands (well, perhaps after a Wes Carroll vodcast or two ;)).

If that doesn't quite make sense to you, take some baby steps. For instance, the Mills Brothers. They were really essentially a neo-original-barbershop group, except their music was current, and they began using their voices like instruments. From there it's not a long jump to a modern vocal band.

So when Realtime takes barbershop rules and puts them in a blender with other styles, all they're really doing is showing another aspect of the barbershop style. As it is, as it would have been.

Please don't misunderstand my point: I'm in no way slighting BHS and its incredible work. But I do believe that what Barbershop is today, fantastic as it is, is not really what barbershop orignally was. And that's OK. But it bears mentioning from time to time, should Realtime get heat from anyone for making barbershop their own way.

Because it's all good.

- Deke Sharon • 800.579.9305 • http://www.dekesharon.com

dekesharon

Postby rebecca » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:24 am

Hepcat wrote:Acoustix still remains one of the best there ever has been in the world of barbershop, but if that's the only point of reference here at RARB, a lot of really great groups have been missed, not all of them champs.

I hope now that Realtime has submitted their CD, that other quartets follow suit. It really is great to gain insight from people who are not part of the hobby.

I agree! Bring them on! We've had a few other groups over the years - a quick eyeball of the list brings up the Ambassadors of Harmony, Boston Common, Joker's Wild, Lone Star Sound and Michigan Jake. And the Razzzcals, on the women's side. I may have missed a few others.

RARB also has had barbershoppers on board in the past - I believe Glenda Millgate and Bob McSwain had ties to that community. Others of us have crossed over from time to time - I sang Sweet Adelines arrangements in college and I read the Harmonet faithfully for years afterward.

Thanks for reading RARB. -rebecca
rebecca
RARB
RARB

Postby hepcat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:39 am

DekeSharon wrote:
Please don't misunderstand my point: I'm in no way slighting BHS and its incredible work. But I do believe that what Barbershop is today, fantastic as it is, is not really what barbershop orignally was. And that's OK. But it bears mentioning from time to time, should Realtime get heat from anyone for making barbershop their own way.

Because it's all good.

Deke,

I'm with you completely and I know you aren't knocking the BHS. I also agree that we are a long way from our roots in some ways. The points you've made make total sense and I appreciate you taking the time to make them.

And I agree...it's all good!
Daryl T. Meek
Live from NJ
tenorleadnbari
hepcat

Previous

Return to zzCommunity Reviews