[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Mixed Co review / recording question for college groups

Mixed Co review / recording question for college groups

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Mixed Co review / recording question for college groups

Postby dherriges » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:17 pm

(Most of this is for the reviewers, but I'd appreciate feedback from people in collegiate groups on the question I pose at the end!)

First of all, thanks to Dave, Elie and Kimmie for the obvious thought and effort you put into your reviews! While we got panned for some stuff that I had already figured probably deserved it, all three reviews provided helpful criticism we'll take to heart. I really appreciate the detailed feedback in Dave Trendler's review (and all of the reviews he writes!).

I wanted to comment on the overall thrust of the three reviews, as exemplified by this quote:

"Mixed Company doesn't seem to know what it's doing."

I feel Dave is completely right on this as far as our mastery of the recording process goes, though not our singing abilities. This was the first album we tried to record on our own instead of in Bill Hare's studio, we were unprepared and in a time crunch, and we paid for it, both in the quality of the product and literally, in money paid to Bill to clean up tracks that weren't edited very well.

It might surprise some readers of this review that Mixed Company has actually been improving dramatically as a live group over the last few years. If you're in the Stanford area come to one of our shows and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! I also think Shades of Red fares better in a side-by-side comparison with our last couple efforts ("Tree Museum" and "One Light On") than RARB scores might indicate. We took some musical risks and the album definitely has a lot of potentially good ideas executed poorly, but I'll take that any day over boring ideas and repertoire executed well. At the end of the day I stand by our decision to avoid some more "safe" repertoire and arranging choices that might have led to a more polished-sounding but less interesting, at least to my ears, product.

Reviewers seemed surprised that we allowed Stacy's Mom and especially the Disco Medley to make their way onto this album. Quite frankly, to answer that question, all I can do is plead the "group politics" defense. Those songs were live favorites and actually among our more impressive live repertoire last year, and our fans and alumni appreciate them. Things like the cheesy "My Girl" interlude in Stacy's Mom that flop miserably on the album garner reliable laughs in the live context they were meant for. A more disciplined group probably would have left those songs off the CD, but we voted to record them pretty much knowing they would get panned.

Quick question for reviewers / anyone else who's heard this album or just wants to speculate hypothetically: Obviously it's a good idea to front-load and back-load your best material, and judging from track scores I think we did that quite successfully. But I'm curious whether it may have been a bad idea to stick the three weakest songs (which we definitely knew were the weakest by a considerable margin, and the scores confirm it) back-to-back in the middle, versus interspersing them with better stuff?

Finally, a question for anybody from a college group that's successfully made the leap to do-it-yourself recording. (Back Row? Octopodes?) How do/did you handle the problem of quality control? Aside from running out of time and hastily recording some tracks, I find the biggest problem we had in recording Shades of Red is that not everyone was well prepared for the task of running the recording sessions. Anybody can learn to use ProTools software, but coaching the singers to give 100% in the studio is not an easy thing, and it became clear to me that of the 6 or 7 different members we had sharing that task, some had VERY different standards than others for what constituted an acceptable studio performance. One solution is to have the One Guy Who Knows What He's Doing™ sacrifice his life and GPA for a year to do a hugely disproportionate amount of the recording. Barring that unappealing option, what do you do? How do you get the quality control when not everyone in the group has experience recording and/or directing / coaching singers? I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have.
dherriges

Postby nycacappella » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 am

Hey Daniel -
Feedback like this is always much appreciated (for me personally) because I enjoy knowing why groups made the decisions they did, such as your 'group politics' answer to the Disco Medley and Stacy's Mom appearance on the album. I think it's a very common thing to expect songs that translate very well in live performance to also do the same on an album, but it's not always the case. Thanks for this post, as it's very well-written and educational, at least from where I'm sitting.

I also think it's important to keep in mind that, while although Dave said 'Mixed Company doesn't seem to know what it's doing', it's safe to say he's referring only to the album. As reviewers, we're not asked to compare albums to live performances, and I don't think readers of the reviews would speculate that a great album automatically means a great, live performance (or vice versa). It's also a good opportunity to have a 'recorded' and 'live' version of a song: if you though the "My Girl" interlude would be bad for the recording, choose to leave it out.

As for your question about having 'weak' songs piled up in the middle of an album, whenever I've sequenced an album I have a very mathematical (and albeit extremely dorky) way of approaching it, AFTER I listen to just the general flow of the album. I rate songs on soloists, arrangements, production quality, energy (i.e. a fast vs. slow song). From a generalized point of view, I'd think no more than 2 weak songs in a row if you can avoid it!
Randi
www.nycacappella.com
info@nycacappella.com
nycacappella@gmail.com (temporary)

Treble (www.treblenyc.com): 2002-2006, 2008-2009
Oodles of other groups: other years
nycacappella
RARB
RARB

Re: Mixed Co review / recording question for college groups

Postby vkolko » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:39 pm

vkolko
RARB
RARB

Postby dherriges » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:54 pm

dherriges

Postby mattootb » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:11 am

Out of the Blue (Oxford) 2004-2006
Last Minute (BBC TV) 2008
The Refrains (London) 2011-
mattootb

Postby IanG » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:17 am

Ian G.
The Back Row ('03-'07), Colorado College all-male acappella, Founder
IanG

Postby mcbc » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:12 am

mcbc

Postby billhare » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:10 am

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Postby dherriges » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:02 am

dherriges

Postby dekesharon » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:50 pm

- Deke Sharon • 800.579.9305 • http://www.dekesharon.com

dekesharon

Postby mattootb » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:54 pm

Out of the Blue (Oxford) 2004-2006
Last Minute (BBC TV) 2008
The Refrains (London) 2011-
mattootb

Postby lcmike » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:05 pm

Last Call ('03-'07)
www.menoflastcall.com
Cornell University '07
lcmike

Postby mcbc » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:43 am

mcbc

Postby billhare » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:46 am

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Postby uscpossum » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:57 pm

Kimberly Raschka Sailor
RARB Editor-in-Chief
ICCA/ICHSA Adjudicator
uscpossum
RARB
RARB

Return to zzCommunity Reviews