Last Call - Brewed In The Attic

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Last Call - Brewed In The Attic

Postby magnolia » Fri May 18, 2007 9:07 am

So, I got this CD in the mail a few days ago (after just getting the 'callboys' last 2 albums last week and checking them out) and took the time to listen to it beginning to end at work yesterday.

These are just my early thoughts, but maybe it'll spark some more talk:
A. Bill Hare definitely had free reign on this project? eh? It is a very solid CD, and you can tell where the magic touch really makes this CD shine.
B. The soloists are not stellar on this CD, but the arrangements and backgrounds are very smooth and decently accurate (discrepancies, see Bend and Break chord patterns)
C. The man with the horn simulation skills is quite good, two tracks back to back (eh, maybe not a great sequencing decision) that feature a great sound to fill tracks out.
D. The non-Last Call arrangment sticks out heavily (vv's and such) and sounds like something off of a great pro CD. So, props to the guys for pulling it off, but I'm not 100% sure I'm comfortable with its place on the CD. (Much love to, Tom Anderson (? i think ?) for the hired arranging skills)
E. The rap track at the end is DIRTY. Thats all I'll say. It's fun.

Thats it for now, hopefully someone else out there is checking out this album too?
Matthew T. Bolling
Magnolia Productions, LLC | www.magnoliaproductions.com
Founder & President, VocalBluR | Richmond, VA | www.vocalblur.com
Alumni & Past-president, Virginia Tech's Juxtaposition | www.vtjuxta.com
magnolia

Re: Last Call - Brewed In The Attic

Postby billhare » Fri May 18, 2007 11:00 am

magnolia wrote:A. Bill Hare definitely had free reign on this project?

Well, not exactly. This album was mixed on quite a tight budget, far less than half the cost of many Collegiate albums I mixed this year. That doesn't exactly give me "free reign", but I will say that Last Call's willingness to let me make a lot of the production choices was a breath of fresh air and allowed me to be quite efficient. It's the million-and-one tiny tweaks that usually don't make a big difference that become so costly in mixing, and LC was very good at sticking to the big picture - they put out a great album for very little money this way, and it was a pleasure for me to work on as well!

For more on working efficiently, see these 2 articles at CASA.org:
How Much Does It Cost? You Have More Control Than You Think!

Communicating With Your Engineer For Fun And Profit

:-)

-B
Last edited by billhare on Fri May 18, 2007 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments. http://www.dyz.com

billhare

Postby magnolia » Fri May 18, 2007 11:08 am

Thanks Bill =) I did hear they got by on a small budget (cheaper than the Juxta album by far) ... Talked to one of the 'callboys' last night over AIM briefly about it.

Glad you had fun, the end product sounds like you did.
Matthew T. Bolling
Magnolia Productions, LLC | www.magnoliaproductions.com
Founder & President, VocalBluR | Richmond, VA | www.vocalblur.com
Alumni & Past-president, Virginia Tech's Juxtaposition | www.vtjuxta.com
magnolia

Postby phollens » Fri May 18, 2007 3:22 pm

magnolia wrote:So, I got this CD in the mail a few days ago (after just getting the 'callboys' last 2 albums last week and checking them out) and took the time to listen to it beginning to end at work yesterday.

These are just my early thoughts, but maybe it'll spark some more talk:
A. Bill Hare definitely had free reign on this project? eh? It is a very solid CD, and you can tell where the magic touch really makes this CD shine.
B. The soloists are not stellar on this CD, but the arrangements and backgrounds are very smooth and decently accurate (discrepancies, see Bend and Break chord patterns)
C. The man with the horn simulation skills is quite good, two tracks back to back (eh, maybe not a great sequencing decision) that feature a great sound to fill tracks out.
D. The non-Last Call arrangment sticks out heavily (vv's and such) and sounds like something off of a great pro CD. So, props to the guys for pulling it off, but I'm not 100% sure I'm comfortable with its place on the CD. (Much love to, Tom Anderson (? i think ?) for the hired arranging skills)
E. The rap track at the end is DIRTY. Thats all I'll say. It's fun.

Thats it for now, hopefully someone else out there is checking out this album too?

Tom Anderson has got crazy good skillz. His arrangements are always stellar, see Divisi Sunday morning, Queen of the Night and On the Rocks version of Kyrie..... It's always a pleasure recording his stuff, and the Last Call guys sang the crap outta the arrangement for me in the Attic. The group is also considerably young this year and has tons of potential and room to grow. Hopefully if they keep making the right decisions that Mike has instilled in them with their production their next cd will be even better! I just put up the album in my studio yesterday after I recieved it in the mail from Mike, and it's a pretty cover too. Love the album title, but it could also be called Brewed in the attack + Mike's stinky closet.
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Postby lcmike » Fri May 18, 2007 4:44 pm

Smelly Pete wrote:Love the album title, but it could also be called Brewed in the attack + Mike's stinky closet.

Pete, the smell was from you. The fact that my closet had dirty laundry in it had nothing to do with it.

Goof.

-Mike
Last Call ('03-'07)
www.menoflastcall.com
Cornell University '07
lcmike

Return to zzCommunity Reviews