Face Forward CD Review

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Face Forward CD Review

Postby noone » Thu May 31, 2007 11:20 am

n/a
Last edited by noone on Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noone

Re: Face Forward CD Review

Postby phollens » Thu May 31, 2007 5:30 pm

mindy wrote:Regarding: http://www.rarb.org/reviews/714.html#dave-trendler

Seriously Dave?

This is more of a critique than a review.

I am aware that you are from the Boulder, CO area (as is Face). My guess is that you are jealous that you are not a member of a successful a cappella group and so you have chosen to berate the closest one to you.

Forward is a thoroughly enjoyable album that is (thankfully) not overproduced. It provides a good representation of the enthusiasm and talent presented by Face in a live setting. No album is perfect, there's no need to be so mean.

Mindy

Dave is one of RARB's best reviewers, and I found his review to be pretty spot on..... after listening to the clips from the website. If you were to take the time to look back on some of his past reviews you will find him to be a very accurate reviewer.

It's always hard coming from the view of a fan to read a review of something you adore, because well, your biased! ;) The group is probably exceptional live, and obviously very talented, especially considering the recent luck @ Harmony Sweeps. Their arranging style is like he said about a decade behind, and they enjoy the old school style of production... nothing wrong with that, but when you have a choice to simply edit in the recording studio, why not help yourself and make sure all your 8th note repeating patterns are lining up? Not very much "Production" there, just normal editing. It's refreshing to hear an album of this nature in some aspects just not my cup O' tea. Plus considering the albums overall scorers you have to be pleased, obviously two out of the three reviewers thought it was near flawless. Can't beat that.
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Re: Face Forward CD Review

Postby ariel » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:08 am

mindy wrote:Regarding:

I am aware that you are from the Boulder, CO area (as is Face). My guess is that you are jealous that you are not a member of a successful a cappella group and so you have chosen to berate the closest one to you.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

This post is so laughable. You lose all your credibility when you start spouting crap like that. You're not even in this group and you can't handle a critical review of their work and feel the need to insult the reviewer, whom you have never met (correct me if I am wrong). It's so childish.
CASA Board 09/10
Elegant Catastrophe Singers 2008 - 2009
Downtown Crossing 2004 - 2007
Stanford Harmonics 2001-2004
ariel

Postby rebecca » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:31 am

Jeez Ariel, no need to be mean.

FYI, Dave was in a "successful" a cappella group, the Humbuckers. They put out a very nice album a few years back, I think it still holds up well.

Thanks for reading RARB.

-rebecca
rebecca
RARB
RARB

Postby magnolia » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:07 am

Geez. Mindy, remember reviews are an opinionated thing.

But, they are right, the quoted first line lost all credibility for the argument. Calling out jealousy is probably the worst way to make a point.

I dont think anyone with RARB is going to bias an opinion because they are 'jealous'.

I know fans (or group members) get irritated at reviews, scores at compeition, etc...but, geez.
Matthew T. Bolling
Magnolia Productions, LLC | www.magnoliaproductions.com
Founder & President, VocalBluR | Richmond, VA | www.vocalblur.com
Alumni & Past-president, Virginia Tech's Juxtaposition | www.vtjuxta.com
magnolia

Postby sparkleytone » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:52 pm

Jealoussssssssssss...
Brent Stephens, BAMF
sparkleytone

Postby davetrendler » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:37 pm

Hi Mindy,

Thanks for your critique. I'm curious - what is your relationship to the group?

Also, if you have specific criticisms of my review, I'd be happy to elaborate.

To all - thanks for the support. I'm curious to hear back from Mindy. Her post illustrates the kind of rabid support Face gets around Denver/Boulder.

Dave
davetrendler
RARB
RARB

Postby mmegibow » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:33 pm

Hey we just saw this! Figured we should chime in.

We know Dave. A few years ago we even shared the stage with his former group here in Boulder, "Chatterbox." For those who have never met him, he's a nice guy and certainly has no ill intentions. Clearly, he knows his a cappella!

Everyone's entitled to his/her own opinions. I for one appreciate that Dave expressed in such detail what he thought about the CD. Gives us plenty to think about for our next product. That's part of the purpose of RARB as I understand it. Overall I'm very happy with the review our CD got and realize that you can't please everyone.

Dave's right - we focus on the live performance. We believe it's a huge part of our brand, and so we really want our studio work to reflect that. We try to capture the live energy, and want the CD to sound as much as possible like what you'd hear in a live concert. I wish I could say we're perfect live...

Anyway, I've been a part of many studio projects that turned stale because of the perfection and production. I know it's not all exclusive - there's a way to balance it all. We did what we did. We're proud of it. Now it's out for the public to hear and do with it and think of it what they will.

We hope you enjoy it.

Cheers! - Mark
mmegibow

Postby magnolia » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:08 am

Someone deleted the post?! eek!
Matthew T. Bolling
magnolia

Postby seth » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:37 am

The original author did. And changed his/her username.
seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magnolia » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:21 am

Oh yes, thats what I figured. No accusations of conspiracy from me Seth! ;-)
Matthew T. Bolling
magnolia

Postby elocomotive » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:42 pm

Dave Trendler is an evil, sick bastard.

For years he has devoted volunteer time to RARB and built up a reputation as one of their most balanced reviewers purely to screw over a single group because they are geographically proximate to him.

He moved to Colorado to get as far away from other reputable a cappella groups as possible (weird phobia, would take too long to explain). So when he found out Face was there, he has been waiting and plotting for years to take them down to return to a restful, a cappella-free lifestyle.

Thanks to the original poster for finally exposing this huge fraud!

Dave "Demon Seed" Trendler - you have been outed!!!

Mooohooohahahahaha.... mooooohhaahahahahaa... mooooo....(cough cough.... achk.... cough).... ouch.... that hurt.
elocomotive

Postby magnolia » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:44 pm

*Standing Ovation*

Classic Post. Classic. ;-)
Matthew T. Bolling
magnolia

Return to zzCommunity Reviews