Transit album/review

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Transit album/review

Postby RnBMrE » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:35 am

I don't think I can add much more to what the reviewers said or to what the '07 CARAs essentially "said", but I wanted to congratulate Transit on their awesome review!

I also thought each of the reviewers did a fantastic job giving comprehensive reviews. Sometimes, RARB reviews can be a bit excessive on the pithiness, but it seems like each reviewer of "Transit" really invested and took the time to delineate what they loved and didn't care for as much. Granted, I'm sure that's easier when an album is incredible...

FWIW, my favorite is definitely "In A Graveyard". Transit, is that bonus material gonna be available soon?! ;-)

Matt Emery CASA Director of Communications Three-time Recipient of RARB "Post of the Year" Title

RnBMrE

Postby jamesq84 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:08 am

Greetings everyone,

We'd like to say thanks to RARB for taking the time and effort to review our CD. We really appreciate it and for what it's worth, we agree with almost everything said. Like every group, we invested a lot of ourselves in the project, and its gratifying to know that others have appreciated what we have done. We also love hearing the different interpretations of each song, seeing how our intended "vision" (for lack of a better word) was received, and how different people react to the same song. A couple of comments on the songs:

Supermassive Black Hole: We all really love Muse, and this song screamed a cappella to us, believe it or not. Most of the distortion was actually sung, and we added various amp emulations to augment that, along with a lot of grunting and some organic percussion. We kind of threw the mix together in one sitting, and we liked what we heard so much (and were surprised by it, I think, not having heard a cappella like it before), that we pretty much left it at that. Brent still creeps us out a bit with his demonic whispering. At some point, we'd be curious to hear Elie elaborate a bit about what real a cappella arranging is :)

Hide and Seek: We were fortunate to jump on this song back in the Fall of 2005, before it exploded in the aca community. It's been covered a lot already in other posts and reviews, but we're thrilled to have been able to cover such a gorgeous song, and hope we did it justice in our own creative way. Joseph has since had requests for the arrangement from many dozens of groups from literally 6 continents - crazy! Thanks again to Jillian for lending us her incredible talents on the lead.

Vehicle: For background, we selected this song as our "workshop" song for our first "Sweatin' The Details" clinic (http://www.recordosaur.us), and decided to go ahead and include it on the CD. Dave, at least, couldn't agree with the reviewers more! He recorded the purposely over-the-top solo in one take (not by choice, we were just slammed at the time and never came back to redo it), and tells us pretty much daily how much he never wants to hear the song again. But for anyone who hasn't heard the "real" song, you might check out the Ides of March version - the inspiration for his Lecherous Lounge Singer channeling :) All in all though it's a high energy tune live, and audiences seem to enjoy it. That, coupled with wanting to give a nod to "Sweatin", made us decide to include it. We hope it's a hip-shaking diversion, if nothing else :)

In A Graveyard: This one still makes us a bit misty. We all love Rufus, and this song's simple but profound message tugs at the heart. We love singing it - 'nuff said.

Can't Get Next To You: Ah yes, the proverbial "every gig" song. You won't hear us disagree with some of it being a bit forced, as we were hamming it up a bit...but it's so damned fun to do it! Anyway, it gives us all a chance to step out for a few seconds and try to one-up another onstage, and we have a lot of fun singing it.

Whispers: From great loss sometimes comes something beautiful, as life has taught many of us. In this case, Dave's lyrics coupled with Joseph's music resulted in a cathartic experience for both. We'll leave it at that, but we hope others can find enjoyment in the song, and we hope to include several more originals on our next effort.

Home: Talk about being fun to sing! We really enjoyed this song when Nick was with us, and hearing the crowd sing and clap along with us during the choruses was pretty awesome. Many groups have put out great versions of this tune, and we're happy to add ours to the mix.

So, just a bit more background for those interested in what went into making the CD. Thanks again to RARB, and if others have their own reviews to add, we'd love to hear 'em - good, bad, and ugly. We're already working on our next release, so we'd appreciate your feedback!

If you'd like to check out the record for yourself:

CD

MP3s

transit
jamesq84

Postby phollens » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:08 am

Grats on a great cd and a great review fellas.

;) w00t.
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Postby nycacappella » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:23 am

Thanks for the compliments; I felt so lucky to have been chosen to review the CD and am so glad that both the positive feedback and constructive criticisms were understood and well accepted!
Randi
www.nycacappella.com
info@nycacappella.com
nycacappella@gmail.com (temporary)

Treble (www.treblenyc.com): 2002-2006, 2008-2009
Oodles of other groups: other years
nycacappella
RARB
RARB

Postby jamesq84 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:22 am

For anyone who might have checked, we are having some technical difficulties with our website right now. To hear clips from the album, just shoot over to http://a-cappella.com/product/Transit_T ... mensgroups.

Yours in harmony,
James Wallace,
transit
jamesq84

Postby jamesq84 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:28 am

And we're back.

http://www.transit-music.com

Yours in harmony,
James Wallace,
transit
jamesq84

Postby sahjahpah » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:29 pm

i'm a big fan of how you linked to clips in your response to the review.
sahjahpah

Postby RnBMrE » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:06 pm

sahjahpah wrote:i'm a big fan of how you linked to clips in your response to the review.

Me too... *but* the clips definitely don't give you the full awesomeness that is this album. I'm just sayin'...

Matt Emery CASA Director of Communications Three-time Recipient of RARB "Post of the Year" Title

RnBMrE

Postby jamesq84 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:05 pm

In response to the question about the Bonus material:

Transit, is that bonus material gonna be available soon?! ;-)

Thanks for reminding us about this, Matt. We'd love to follow through on our written promise to get purchasers of the physical EP some bonus media asap...we apologize that we haven't been able to do that yet, but as one of the reviewers alluded to, we're all involved in a ton of other ventures and it's been challenging to put as much focus on this as we would have liked. We have a few options for what this material could be, and though we don't promise to adhere to your wishes :) we'd invite you to offer us some feedback as to what you'd like the material to be - a few possible options:

-Additional Mixes?

-Concert/Workshop videos?

-Candid pics (no, not that candid, Cannon)?

-Lithograph scans of the lyrics for original songs we've written (like Whispers)?

-A copy of one of/a few of our arrangements?

-Outtakes?

-Other?

If these were all options, what would interest you? And no, all of the above is not an option, Gallas. Let us know, and we'll see what we can do!

Yours in harmony,
James Wallace,
transit
jamesq84

Postby magnolia » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:12 am

Additional Material:
-Arrangements, yes. PDF/MIDI
-Performance / Workshop videos, yes. (Live performance?)

Thats my 2 cents. I kinda thought you guys would release some extra tracks that you just didnt have time to finish before the EP.

As for the review:
Looks like solid props from everyone involved. I do agree that this is a somewhat eclectic mix of music. The flow is sporatic at best from song to song. However, the quality of each song is quite good in its own way. Maybe this was a "hey, look what all we can do!"-track list.

I'd like to see a little bit more flow and consistancy in the next album from transit, but I'm sure they've probably already set sail on what may or may not work.

Side Note: If Dave Sperandio was on a Carnival Cruise ship, I'd still book a reservation. As over zealous as he might be. =p
Matthew T. Bolling
Magnolia Productions, LLC | www.magnoliaproductions.com
Founder & President, VocalBluR | Richmond, VA | www.vocalblur.com
Alumni & Past-president, Virginia Tech's Juxtaposition | www.vtjuxta.com
magnolia

Postby RnBMrE » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:40 am

I would say no for pics, lithographs, and videos. And I think that outtakes are hilarious... but usually 10x moreso to the group involved. I would love to have some additional mixes and an/some arrangement(s). Those would be fun. Or a free Jagerbomb from Dave. That would be tasty.

Side note: If Dave Sperandio was on a Carnival Cruise ship... I would just laugh really hard. :-)

RnBMrE

Postby davecharliebrown » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:53 am

(1) The CD is phenomenal
(2) these guys are it, and
(3) Dio on a cruise ship is the front cover of their next recording.
--Dave Brown

now: Mouth Off host | ICCA & CARA Judge

then: CASA president, CASAcademy director, CASA Bd of Directors | BYU Vocal Point | Noteworthy co-foun
davecharliebrown

Postby J Fi » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:54 pm

Additional mixes are nice. Arrangments would also be cool. If you're going to do outtakes, you may want to consider including the version of Vehicle that us folks from Sweatin' the Details heard.

(To the faint of heart, not to worry; I call it "dirty version" for a lack of a better term, and assure you it's additions are appropriate... well, unless you don't like curse words or creepy things being said by Jesus... yes, the Jesus...)

"I don't care if he is the Notorious Big, can he croon?"
-Dave Sperandio
John Fiander
Producer
Web Site Coming Soon!

Elon University Twisted Measure (2004-2008)
www.twistedmeasure.com
J Fi

Postby H.F. » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:14 am

I must admit that I too am curious as to what "real" a cappella arranging actually is. How would one define it?
H.F.

Return to zzCommunity Reviews