Compliment

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Compliment

Postby jonmclemore » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:00 am

Just wanted to compliment Eric Skalinder on his recent review of Duwende's album. Very well written.

jon
jonmclemore

duwende

Postby ericskalinder » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:39 am

Hey Jon,

Glad you liked the review! There were just so many things I enjoyed bout the disc. I wish more albums were that easy to write about. Instead of getting bogged down in tuning, blend, etc. because there's nothing else compelling to focus on, it's a pleasure to be able to address non-technical factors . So much goes into making a great album beyond being technically accurate - creative force and emotional investment can elicit one damn powerful response.

Duwende does what I wish more vocal groups would do - make great music, not just great a cappella. It's good to aim high! There's no reason a cappella can't hold its own when compared to other styles and orchestrations. Maybe we'll get there soon - I'm sure you'll continue to do your part. :)

Original music really is the light and the way!

All the best,
Eric
ericskalinder
RARB
RARB

Postby jskaroff » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:41 am

Ahh, Eric, you beat me to it. I meant to echo Jon's praise on Friday but the site was briefly down.

Regardless, I agree that Duwende's strengths lie not in perfect tuning or perfect blend, but that they make 'music' and not just 'a cappella.' It's understandable since so many of us come out of the college pop idiom, but there can be, and should be, a lot more to a cappella than singing ABACAB covers. I can understand not liking Duwende's music if you don't like groove-based songs, but you have to respect them for being completely authentic and original.

I think they rock personally.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Josh
Josh Skaroff
Lunatic Groove - www.lunaticgroove.com
ex Dischord - dolphin.upenn.edu/~dischord
jskaroff

Return to zzCommunity Reviews