AVP - Learn to Interact (Real Discussion - NOT GUSTER)

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

AVP - Learn to Interact (Real Discussion - NOT GUSTER)

Postby magnolia » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:58 am

Yasir wrote:Talk about a fake out: I looked on RARB and saw all the replies for our album thread and got excited...and then I noticed most of the comments were about Guster, haha. Can someone start a new thread? Just a thought.

Because I love AVP and Yasir. Here's a thread to ACTUALLY discuss Learn to Interact and the RARB review.

I'm popping it in my CD player tonight!
Matthew T. Bolling
Magnolia Productions, LLC | www.magnoliaproductions.com
Founder & President, VocalBluR | Richmond, VA | www.vocalblur.com
Alumni & Past-president, Virginia Tech's Juxtaposition | www.vtjuxta.com
magnolia

Postby mrmiller » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:18 am

The album as a whole doesn't move me, particularly. I think a lot of it has to do with uninteresting arrangements. Not that I have a problem with imitation, but the songs don't build on the originals for me. The general flow is good, and there's no jarring transitions. My favorite transition is from the fade out of Windmills into Medicine, which sounds pretty money. I'm also intellectually amused by going from Feel Good into Windmills just by the titles.

I think the far-and-away stand out track is Chicago, which has a killer production value throughout. Other above-the-rest tracks include:

Windmills -- I'm a sucker for the original, but the warm, open production value really helps the track breathe
Medicine -- Good catchy pop, solid soloist.

There's a couple of tracks that really bother me. The worst offender is Feel Good Inc, the soloists on which I find irksome, and I can't stand the arrangement with its obnoxiously pronounced syllables. Not the Same's soloist also grates on me, and seems overtuned as well. The rest of the tracks are just aight, and don't really jump out at me.

Overall, it's a decent listen. No numbers, because I don't like them and they don't really reflect my opinion in the end ;)
mrmiller

Postby JasonSmarmer » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:46 pm

I've read a few of your posts, mrmiller. Man you really are a bit of an arrogant dbag aren't you? Oh and nothing like blasting someone who sings the same song as you. Quality stuff, that. You're not fooling anyone, ya know.

Jason
JasonSmarmer

Postby jthelegend » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:57 pm

must we flame the man for giving his honest opinion mr. smarmer?
if you will kindly re-read mike's post, you will see that he gave quite a bit of favorable feedback to the disc. also, even in giving the negative opinions, he did so cordially. i see nothing that could warrant the labeling of dbag based on the post that i saw.
also, in speaking to your point about the feedback he gave on "feel good, inc" ....the fact that his group sings the song was not the reason that he pointed to for not enjoying it. in fact, he made no mention of his group doing the song, either in passing or direct comparison, so why even bring that up?
basically, why blast the man for speaking his mind? the point of this forum is for people to share their opinions freely and openly [also respectfully, which admittedly i and a few others have had issue with] and calling someone a dbag just because they didn't embrace your effort with open arms is in poor taste and ripe with immaturity.
if you wish to debate his post about the album and share your opinions, i would be glad to listen. otherwise, i would ask that you please refrain from hassling my buddy mike.

thanks,
james
Last edited by jthelegend on Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j. cannon
Cornell Chordials::2004-2007::
the panic room::producer-engineer::
member of the VocalSource network
jthelegend

Postby JasonSmarmer » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:24 pm

You're missing the point James. But it's not exactly a surprise that you and mrmiller get along so well. And for the record I've zero association with AVP or anyone in it.

Jason
JasonSmarmer

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:30 pm

I feel kind of bad for the guys in AVP. So much discussion going on in both of these threads, but not much of it actually about their album. Oops, I might be contributing to that with this post...

Well, I don't have the CD, but I have the For Today album and enjoyed Move Along quite a bit. Not the Same was also good, if a bit repetitive. Sadly none of it seems to match the hilarity of "The Reason" from their last CD!
Jimmy Leathers
MD, UMd Faux Paz, 2004-2008
www.myspace.com/fauxpaz
Jimmy

Postby jthelegend » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:09 pm

JasonSmarmer wrote:You're missing the point James. But it's not exactly a surprise that you and mrmiller get along so well. And for the record I've zero association with AVP or anyone in it.

Jason

i'm not here to debate you and could care less who you are or what group you represent. i just thought your post unfairly attacked a friend of mine and i stuck up for him. if i have misjudged your point, i apologize.
j. cannon
Cornell Chordials::2004-2007::
the panic room::producer-engineer::
member of the VocalSource network
jthelegend

Return to zzCommunity Reviews