Sorry...gotta say this

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Is John Bilich an idiot?

Yes, of course he is!
No votes
Mmmm...possibly.
40%
No Way.
20%
He's such an idiot, i can't wait for his funeral (please choose me...i'm the most fun option)
20%
Or maybe he's a stupid moron, with an ugly face, and a big butt, and his butt smells and he likes to kiss his own butt.
20%

Total votes : 15

Sorry...gotta say this

Postby LGjohn » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:05 am

Alright...so i've been reading the recent criticisms of the last few reviews and all i've got to say is... C'MON PEOPLE.... Reviewers are not out to ruin anyone's day. We've all (well most of us) poured every ounce of ourselves into an album and thought that we turned out the most breathtaking album to date only to get back the reviews that crushed our world and brought us back to reality.

The fact of the matter is that if the reviewer gave your album a 2 or a 3 or whatever... it's because that's what they really thought it deserved. They don't hold any personal vendettas.

I've read many reviews where reviewers say "I wanted to love this album but........" "Sure i'm trashing this album, so why did i give it a 4..." They don't give scores based on what they wish they could give in a perfect world...or we'd all get 5.0's.

What i'm really trying to say is that when you produce your next album and it is better than your last effort, you'll go back and listen to this album and say...Wow it really wasn't as good as i thought. Often times i see myself laughing along with those same reveiws that broke my heart only months before. OR...maybe you'll still disagree with the reviewers, but maybe that's part of the fun too. I still love saying that i hate Tom C for giving my fabulous album a 3...but maybe in another six months i'll agree with all he had to say.

Point: Take the reviews, learn from them, grow from them. RARB wasn't created as an instructional tool to make acappella groups better, but i'll be damned if it isn't a nice byproduct.

Ok...enough soapboxing for me. Back to enjoying the fun that is RARB.
Last edited by LGjohn on Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bilich
john@lunaticgroove.com
Lunatic Groove - www.lunaticgroove.com
ex-Etown Phalanx - www.etown.edu/phalanx
LGjohn

Postby duke00 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:30 pm

I agree that you should have a tough skin when you send albums in, and that people can be close to their own albums. But, the whole purpose of this forum is to discuss the reviews. I dont' think it is bad to say, 'hey, I thought this reviewer focused too much on production. I prefer a more organic sound.

Tip
duke00

Postby jskaroff » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:07 am

Where's the 'John Bilich is a stupid moron, with an ugly face, and a big butt, and his butt smells and he likes to kiss his own butt' option?

love ya bro,
Josh
Josh Skaroff
ex Dischord - dolphin.upenn.edu/~dischord
jskaroff

Postby LGjohn » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:30 am

jskaroff wrote:Where's the 'John Bilich is a stupid moron, with an ugly face, and a big butt, and his butt smells and he likes to kiss his own butt' option?

Wow...did you really just say that in a public forum...what a great society we live in...(big grinning smiley)

Oh and I can't believe you think my butt is big...i so thought you found me attractive...(big winking smiley)
John Bilich
john@lunaticgroove.com
ex-Etown Phalanx - www.etown.edu/phalanx
LGjohn

Postby doc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:25 pm

Wow
Mike DeLaura
Lunatic Groove (2002 - 2005)
Villanova Spires (1998 - 2002)
Recording Engineer
doc

Postby Jeff Robbins » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:38 pm

jskaroff wrote:Where's the 'John Bilich is a stupid moron, with an ugly face, and a big butt, and his butt smells and he likes to kiss his own butt' option?

This is the kind of intellectual debate that makes this country what it is today.
Jeff Robbins
No Southern Accent (ret.)
www.nosouthernaccent.org
Jeff Robbins

Postby MFeldman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:50 pm

oh come on... This thread is a bunch of Lunatic groove people bitchin' at each other. While i appreciate the basic sentiment that reviewers are not out to destroy us all, did y'all really have to post your petty insults??
as a final note, i would like to say that, yes indeed, John has a very large posterior
Michael "AcaB" Feldman
Francis Parker Acappella Anonymous 00-03
Stanford Fleet Street Singers 03-07
The Red States (NYC) -- bass emeritus since 08
Stanford Law School Acappelants 08-present

Note: My nickname is pronouced /ah-kuh-bee/
MFeldman

Postby jskaroff » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:45 pm

No, we're just joking.

On a thread related note, I agree with what John was saying. I have an album from my college group that's about to get submitted that I produced and I don't honestly expect it to get that good of scores. But I will welcome the reviews and the publicity.

I think reviews are rarely, if ever, malicious or hurtful and certainly a lot of people take them as such. If you're willing to have your album reviewed, you've got to be willing to accept criticism, even severe.

And I guess no one got the Simpsons reference.
Josh Skaroff
ex Dischord - dolphin.upenn.edu/~dischord
jskaroff

Postby MFeldman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:51 pm

i know y'all are just kidding. i was just making fun of you guys for actually posting this well-meaning fun-making session
Michael "AcaB" Feldman
Francis Parker Acappella Anonymous 00-03
Stanford Fleet Street Singers 03-07
The Red States (NYC) -- bass emeritus since 08
Stanford Law School Acappelants 08-present

Note: My nickname is pronouced /ah-kuh-bee/
MFeldman

but also

Postby duke00 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:32 am

But I also think that you are willing to become a reviewer, you are also willing to get your reviews scrutinized.

Tip
duke00

Personally...

Postby bino » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:30 am

I thought the "butt" Simpsons reference was brilliant. Though I've never actually (to my knowledge) seen John's posterior. But I agree that it's hard to distance yourself from that initial, "I can't believe he said that about MY album" reaction. When you pour your heart into an album you want it to be perfect, and realizing it's not is rough at first. But I think the reviewers here generally do a fairly good job of being as objective as they can, changing standards of course being taken into consideration. What was a 5 five years ago wouldn't likely be today.
bino

Return to zzCommunity Reviews