[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - 10 Things I Hate About (Reev)You

10 Things I Hate About (Reev)You

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

10 Things I Hate About (Reev)You

Postby elocomotive » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:55 am

Okay, I don't actually have 10 things, but it probably snagged your attention. This thread is a little hodge podge of a couple threads I've seen and some other ideas I've been thinking about.

I agree with John Billich's thread supporting Dave Trendler's review of the Amazing Blue CD. Though I'm biased because I'm a long-time friend of Dave's, I can objectively say that he approaches his writing and reviews in a very professional manner, and as a reader, I get a lot out of them. He focuses on the important thing - the music. Kudos.

But below, I've strung together a number of things the subsequent threads mentioned. Their collective commonality is that they detract from the focus on the music. Some of them have been mentioned in threads recently, some are from old threads, and some are new ideas as well.

So I wondered, what do people think? Are these things generally bothersome to read in a review? Are there additions? Deletions? I've enjoyed the related topics and am curious as to a wider discussion on the issue...

THINGS I TIRE OF SEEING IN REVIEWS

(OLD) Liner notes/artwork: When are these ever mentioned in a real music review? If they totally misrepresent the music inside, I can see it, but I've read so many dumb things about proper crediting and the like. It wastes my time and its not important.

(OLD) "I don't like this type of music": Jurors often excuse themselves if they are forced to judge something they are biased against. I understand saying, "group X tries to stretch themselves into barbershop on a few tracks, and it doesn't work for them..." But stating upfront that you dislike a certain genre/type of music makes it silly for you to review it in the first place.

(*NEW*) How/where the album was recorded and made: I understand commenting on the production of the album as a component. Probably no individual element makes or breaks an album as much as production (barring a complete derth of talent/skill). But what got me on this idea in the first place was a comment in Benjamin Steven's review of the AVP album. It notes that "...the group RECORDED ITSELF. And ENGINEERED ITSELF... Although mixed with help from the ubiquitous Bill Hare, the disc is a real testament to the vitality of which collegiate a cappella is capable on its own." It then notes "competitions and thus groups' sounds essentially determined by a small number of coaches." First off, wouldn't Bill Hare count as one of those small number of coaches (he puts out excellent work and has a bevy of awards to his credit)? Second, why make a big deal of it anyway? I'd like to know how the reviewer feels the production fits the music, improves/detracts from the vocal performances, was so subtle on one track and yet impressive on another, etc. etc. If I get the album, I can read the credits on my own. [Aside: Sorry Ben, normally I think your reviews are pretty groovy, but it was a good example here. Even A-Rod goes 0 for 4 once in awhile.]

(*NEW*) Track selection: I think Josh Diamant's comment on this in the thread next door is right on. The tracks as a whole having some cohesion, flow, and dynamic swing is important (and happens whether its an "album" or not, thats just semantics), but sometimes reviewers just say things like "i dislike this song." That doesn't help Joe Q. Consumer who may or may not like the song. Similar to the genre one above, I think its innapropriate. I want to know if they have done anything new with it, or if its performed tightly, or that they totally revamped the bridge for it, or if its done straight up, etc.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I feel like all these things detract from a review being more informative and flat out better. Feel free to comment/add to/affirm/destroy them. Hee hee.
elocomotive

Re: 10 Things I Hate About (Reev)You

Postby singyourheart » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:35 pm

singyourheart

Postby ericskalinder » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:54 pm

ericskalinder
RARB
RARB

Postby elocomotive » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:14 pm

elocomotive

Postby bstevens » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:13 pm

This thread is just the sort of thing I always hope to see more of in the Forum. Thanks for getting the ball rolling, E.!

(I especially enjoyed your MLB analogy. I tend to think of groups, including RARB's reviewers, in terms of superhero teams [as if I needed something to make me even nerdier ... ], so it's nice to hear from a different perspective.)

Benjamin Stevens

CASA Director of Education

Educational Officer for Festivals and Events

bstevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

APE SUIT

Postby davetrendler » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:30 pm

davetrendler
RARB
RARB

Re: APE SUIT