Mass Transit Review.

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Mass Transit Review.

Postby zachwalker » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:36 am

A couple of factual errors should be cleared up with regards to Jevan Soo's review of this album. For instance, the first line reads:

Mass Transit's third album starts with a sophomoric, unfunny instance of homophobic humor (imagine an all-guys group covering It's Raining Men and adding a stereotypically gay comedic dialogue, and you pretty much know all you need to know).

Well, I can guarantee that Mass Transit is in no way "homophobic." In fact, I believe the group is made up mostly of gay men. I saw them perform 'It's Raining Men' live and believe me they do it with complete sincerity. I hope their score didn't suffer because you perceived them as "insensitive." I can assure you that they are not.

Secondly:

Jevan Soo wrote:Live's edge is reduced to a geeky American Idol cover on Einstein on the Beach."

Umm, it's a Counting Crows song, so there was no 'edge' on the original song to be found...it's a pop song, pure & simple. Not sure what happened there.

That is all.
Zach
www.vtjuxta.com
zachwalker

Re: Mass Transit Review.

Postby suspended4th » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:07 am

zachwalker wrote:Well, I can guarantee that Mass Transit is in no way "homophobic." In fact, I believe the group is made up mostly of gay men. I saw them perform 'It's Raining Men' live and believe me they do it with complete sincerity. I hope their score didn't suffer because you perceived them as "insensitive." I can assure you that they are not.

Greetings from Tokyo!

I confirm that although Mass Transit is not predominantly gay, the count stands at...

one engaged straight
five otherwise unavailable straight
one metrosexual available straight
six non-metrosexual available straight
two available gay

When we performed Raining Men two years back, there were two different gay members in the group, one of which was a soloist on the album for that song. In general, we at NYU are probably more in tune with the LGBT community than any other school except Berkeley that I can think of. I think it is safe to say our group, straight and gay, stands behind the use of humor employed in approaching Raining Men.

Whether the bit is truly "unfunny" or not is up to you guys, however.

Elie wrote:I had no idea that the group had as many as 19 members (19 names are listed, though their website has them down to 16 as of last semester). Simply put, with such generous use effects, I'd bet they could have produced this album with half as many. Usually, I tend to get on groups' cases for being too large, but there's no real "cheating" in numbers to be found here. The production makes that essentially irrelevant -- mind you, this is not a criticism per se, but it make me wonder on numerous occasions what kind of sound these guys can actually offer up in live performance.

Elie, your fears can be put aside! MT is not as large a group as you think! We've always been at most sixteen.

Mass Transit was recorded in three semesters with three different semesters of members (which would explain why we listed all of said members on the liner notes, and which might also explain the ... well... inconsistencies... the reviewers found in our tracks). So although nineteen members participated in the recording of the entire album, not more than sixteen are featured at one time per track. Though sixteen members may be considered high by aca-standards, we find it's the perfect number for our needs.

As to whether we can perform as well as we sound recorded... that again is for you guys to decide.

So the points I'm making are: Buy our CD! and come to our shows! :) :) :)

-Nick (I think I'm turning Aca-nese)
-n.
Now: RUB, The Born Yesterdays, CASA Ambassador NYC
Then: Kelso, UnderCover, Gangstapella, NYU Mass Transit, Vocal Heights
http://www.humandrummachine.com
suspended4th

Return to zzCommunity Reviews