Tat Tong - Evocations

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Tat Tong - Evocations

Postby tat-tong » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:23 am

Firstly, I'd like to thank the three reviewers, Dave Trendler, Thomas Czerwinski, and Eric Skalinder for three very frank and constructive reviews. I found myself agreeing with a lot of the things you guys said, and this will certainly spur me on to do more (hopefully better!) work!

Just a few answers to questions the reviewers posed. Trendler asked, "what was he thinking?" My goal with Evocations was to write a cappella songs that would be instantly radio-friendly, a microcosm (if you will) of the 2000-2003 Top 40 scene. It was not so much a desire to break free of my beloved group (Last Call) as it was an exercise in letting my creative juices run wild (with obviously uneven results), writing catchy tunes, mixing them the best I could, producing an album... the entire works.

And like Skalinder pointed out, I really feel like I've grown after making these dubious artistic choices, and realizing what works and what doesn't. And no, even though I have my moments of vanity, this album was really more a project for personal growth, a challenge, rather than a desperate attempt at coolness or street cred :) In some ways, I feel like the music reflects me, in all my nerdy, eccentric glory, as Trendler so rightly pointed out.

In all, I enjoyed reading the reviews, and actually found them hilarious. I've talked to many people who liked the album and many people who totally hated it, and I've definitely come out with a clearer sense of what I need to work on, both musically and vocally. Thanks guys. :)
Tat Tong
Producer | Engineer | Songwriter | Arranger | Publisher

T2 Productions
Managed by Universal Music (Publishing)
An award-winning member of the VocalSource network.
tat-tong

Postby elocomotive » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:55 pm

Say what you will about his music, but Tat's approach to the criticism from his review and responding to a few questions raised is right on. Great perspective. Right on, brotha!
elocomotive

Return to zzCommunity Reviews