idea of north review

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

idea of north review

Postby duncan » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:47 am

Hi Folks,

Just as a point of interest...

Trish Delaney-Brown, soprano with The Idea of North, was recently named 'Australian Songwriter of the Year' by the Australian Songwriters Association. Three of her works, featured on their latest cd 'Evidence', were submitted and collectively snared the coveted prize!

check out

www.asai.org.au/songwriter2003.htm

Cheers,

Duncan
duncan

Postby singyourheart » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:46 pm

my thoughts on the review, and my opinion in general:

to say the album starts off "unpromisingly" makes me wonder about the "sayer" a bit. tracks 2 and 3 are both terrific. track 3 has amazing subtleties if you listen for them, and belongs right where it is.

i agree wholeheartedly re the originals - "Rachel" is life-alteringly beautiful. life. alteringly.

i think the reviewers expected more studio magick to varying degrees, which is cool - they're reviewing recorded music after all. but if you've seen the Ides live (and i think 2 said they had), you can compare this recording to their live show without any effort at all, and to me that's what the group was trying to capture. what strikes me about the CD is the near-complete lack of "studio" - the implications of which are very refreshing in a genre rife with mediocre to above-average singers.

considering their credentials, it's to be expected that the Ides would be compared to the best of the best, when they submit a recorded work. and in their genre - when properly defined - they're right there. their style is much more laid back and subtly nuanced than some other vocal jazz groups. i bet they could rock harder if they wanted to..and maybe they will in the future? but personally my aural palate appreciates their naked talent and unobtrusive sound.
singyourheart

review

Postby duncan » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:36 pm

Ditto your comments regarding the start of the album. I especially love track 3(His Eye is on the Sparrow), it really encapsulates their sound.
And track 1(No More Blues) is a brave, lean arrangement (unisons are music too!)

I think the group made an effort to build up to an emotional and musical peak across the length of the album, rather than open with a bang and fizzle out. So perhaps starting out relaxed and easy rather than "unpromisingly".

I agree with your comments on the actual recording also. Technology has made it possible to do anything and everything in the studio these days but that doesn't mean you have to. The last track is an example of four people standing 'round a couple of mic's and singing a song. Add a bit of reverb.....done. Sounds beautiful too!
duncan

Idea of North

Postby Wilfred » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:23 pm

Yes...I concur too but I was not happy with the scores that the reviewers gave them - Soloists - 3.7?! Overall - 4.3?! And no 5.0's at all?! I think they were a little TOO critical with them. The Idea is one of THE BEST and HIGHLY respected vocal groups out there today and it seems unfair to me to pull their ranking down just because the reviewers were expecting more from their album. I see very very little if no fault at all for such a clean and well produced CD - certainly one of my current favorites along with Sixth Wave's "It will come to You" another album that got unfair reviews esp. when compared to the ocean of mediocre recordings that are being released almost every other day!

Wil.
Wilfred

Postby jsdiamant » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:52 pm

I can't speak for the other reviewers, but I should point out that the only reason I pulled the album's score down was because I felt it didn't really flow from song to song. if you read my review again, I had mostly very nice things to say about an album I liked quite a bit. scores aren't everything.

Joshua S. Diamant RARB '02-'05

jsdiamant

Re: Idea of North

Postby tekay » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:03 am

Wilfred wrote:Yes...I concur too but I was not happy with the scores that the reviewers gave them - Soloists - 3.7?!

As one of the reviewers (and the one with the different soloist score), I found 3 of the soloists good to stellar and one made me cringe everytime I listened to the recording. Basing what I heard overall, that was the score I decided to give.

[color=#8040BF]http://www.rarb.org/people/thomas-king.html http://www.deltacappella.com CASA Dir. of Ambassador Program SoJam Producer & Concert Mgr Sing Producer CAL jd All Things A Cappella FOTS #1 ICCA Producer Emeritus "the

tekay
RARB
RARB

Return to zzCommunity Reviews