madison projects "rockstar"

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

madison projects "rockstar"

Postby pujo » Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:54 pm

i am a member of madison project and felt i had to reply to our review. as a whole, the reviews are on point. however, to jonathan sears who points out our typing mistakes by misplacing the song list, i think youre a moron. true, song list is wrong, and thats a problem, but to point that out and then continue on to call "one sweet day" "one FINE day" and then continue to call it "one fine day" a few more times, you seriously make a fool of yourself.
however, you three are quite right, and i do agree, there are pitch problems and off-beats percussions and stuff to argue about. but you do take your job of reviewing a bit far, and overlook important points.
in our "thank you's" we note of how our title "rockstar" is more of a joke than our ego's speaking louder than we can sing.
and isnt the point of a capella to be solely voices? you rated a groups cd a 5 and said it was a blatantly digitized cd. how can that show talent? i can take a group of monkeys, pitch correct their voices, mix them together and make any song you want me to. we went with straight talent, and yes, that talent may not be 5 material, but its worth a second listen.
and come on, rating our secret track that is set to us being played backwards? its for fun. we dont do that in concert.
pujo

Re: madison projects "rockstar"

Postby Neil » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:29 pm

pujo wrote: i think youre a moron. true, song list is wrong, and thats a problem, but to point that out and then continue on to call "one sweet day" "one FINE day" and then continue to call it "one fine day" a few more times, you seriously make a fool of yourself.

I believe I would term that ironic. :) I have to agree with his pointing out your spelling errors - it just speaks to professionalism with the CD.

but you do take your job of reviewing a bit far, and overlook important points.
in our "thank you's" we note of how our title "rockstar" is more of a joke than our ego's speaking louder than we can sing.
and isnt the point of a capella to be solely voices? you rated a groups cd a 5 and said it was a blatantly digitized cd. how can that show talent? i can take a group of monkeys, pitch correct their voices, mix them together and make any song you want me to. we went with straight talent, and yes, that talent may not be 5 material, but its worth a second listen.

Their job is to review the CD. The Bubs CD is impeccable, regardless of how it was done. If you feel your grade was fair, just leave it at that.

and come on, rating our secret track that is set to us being played backwards? its for fun. we dont do that in concert.

Dude, it's on the CD, it should get rated. I guess you weren't the one who made the final call on submitting the disc, because I would hope you'd accept ratings on every part of your CD if you went through the trouble of submitting it.

Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping on you, but I'd be excited if my first submitted disc got a 3.7... that's above-average, with good potential for reaching 'excellent' level the next go-around. Congrats on the solid recording.
Neil Malek
NSA Alum
Neil

From Madison Project prez

Postby Icon116 » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:55 pm

I'd like to apologize for the post from a member of my group, which essentially tore into (at least one of) the reviewers of our CD. Please know he does not speak for the group. I speak for all the members of Project that I have talked to when I say that we were absolutely thrilled with the review. I, too, disagree on certain points the reviewers brought up, but that is the nature of reviews. When we sent the CD to be reviewed, we were looking for constructive criticism, and it's safe to say we found it. All three reviewers touched on things that we did well, and will continue to do, and things that we can improve on.

Without making judgments either way, we felt that a "natural" recording suited our group more than an engineered one. So it was refreshing to see, right up front, a review saying that people who prefer "natural" CDs will like "Rock Star."

We are aware that "Rock Star" does not sound like most groups’ CDs, and we are proud of that. Again, this is not to say that other groups (the Bubs were mentioned...great CD, guys!) are doing it wrong, or that we are doing it better, we just wanted a CD that was unique, one that didn't sound like any other groups' music. I appreciate the reviewers for recognizing that.

Again, I'd like to apologize to everyone out there who read the post. It was written by a member of Project who I’d trust my life with, who is one of my great friends, but who can sometimes type faster than he thinks. He's a good guy who is VERY proud of the CD, and was expecting something a little different. As for the Project, we look forward to meeting people from all the different groups out there (come to JMU...we promise you a good time!), and to recording a cappella for years to come.

Thanks!
Adam Suritz
Former President, The Madison Project
Icon116

and the fury erupts.

Postby pujo » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:13 pm

and ive started a fire in the a capella world. if i offended anyone, sorry. bubs, i guess thats the group i was referring to, even though i just saw your rating and the word "digitized", if digitized action is your thing, rock on, we chose a diff style and me personally, its the way a capella should be done.
anyway, um, youre right we submitted it, i didnt know it, and thats the review we got. correct. but where does it say i cant reply to a review that had typos when one of their main points was our typo.
and rating the secret song: its for fun cause it sounds weird and fun. not showing our talent which is why you rate a song on a cd. thats why i said it was pointless to rate it. if we had a track of us thanking people, would it be rated on our pronunciation and enthusiasm? no. its not made to show talent as a group, but just a part on the cd we thought would be fun.
suritz, as always, lookin out for the greater good of the group, and i love you for that bro. i did say in diff places in my reponse earlier i agreed with the reviewers and that they were on point with their review and that we had things to work on. i am greatful for an outside opinion, hence the whole reason why we submitted it. its cool. i enjoy the cd, and feel 3.7 is great. i just felt there were a few things worth countering. sorry for anyone who took it further than that. it wasnt meant that way.
yes, madison project is not all jerks who hate all reviews. i do type faster than i think. and im sorry. im a rookie at this. come visit us. we are all nice guys. and we sing sometimes too.
pujo

Postby Chris » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:33 pm

pujo wrote:true, song list is wrong, and thats a problem, but to point that out and then continue on to call "one sweet day" "one FINE day" and then continue to call it "one fine day" a few more times, you seriously make a fool of yourself.

Thank you for alerting us of the error. We will correct that mistake as soon as possible. We apologize to you and your group for the error, and to the readers for any confusion this may have caused.

-Chris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pujo » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:56 pm

Chris wrote:
pujo wrote:true, song list is wrong, and thats a problem, but to point that out and then continue on to call "one sweet day" "one FINE day" and then continue to call it "one fine day" a few more times, you seriously make a fool of yourself.

Thank you for alerting us of the error. We will correct that mistake as soon as possible. We apologize to you and your group for the error, and to the readers for any confusion this may have caused.

-Chris

Oh wow. Im sorry for alerting you to the error in such a pissy way. I appologize for that. And thank you for overlooking my negative attitude in the first place. I didnt think we needed an appology, it was our mistake of making the insert track listing wrong. But thank you. To all those out there, i take back my fury in my first post. Peace.
pujo

Postby Neil » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:08 pm

Hehe. I can understand all too well typing faster than I can think. No worries about pissing me off, I was just trying to give the other side of the argument. I think I've got a problem with being the devil's advocate on everything:)

Pujo, you should chime in on the 'natural vs. polished' post and a couple of the others on that topic - sounds like they're right up your alley.

Also, for what it's worth, I saw you guys at ICCA '02, and y'all rocked out. I'm excited to see you guys got such a good rating on the disc, I might just be putting in an order for a copy. Peace and good will toward men:)
Neil Malek
NSA Alum
Neil

Postby jonathansears » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:22 pm

pujo wrote:to jonathan sears who points out our typing mistakes by misplacing the song list, i think youre a moron.

I have a long list of ex-girlfriends that would COMPLETELY agree with you on that one :)

It was definitely ironic (as Neil said) that I chose to mention your misprint in my review when I had one of my own. Also ironic is that both of our editing teams missed the mistake before publishing the final copy. Apparently the a cappella world did something to piss off the Gods of Quality Control lately. :)

I love the enthusiasm and passion though. I wish more groups who got reviewed would get on the forum and tell us what they really thought of their respective reviews. Tell us you hate us! Tell us you love us! Tell us you want a second opinion! You should never have to apologize for being passionate about your group or the albums that you produce.

You spend countless hours working on your albums. You should be proud, ... regardless of what RARB says about them.
Jonathan Sears
RARB Reviewer (2000-2004)
Certified ICCA Adjudicator
NCHSA Adjudicator
Lunatic Groove (2002 - 2005)
Elizabethtown Phalanx (1996-2000)
jonathansears
RARB
RARB

Postby Neil » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:06 pm

Pertinent story - on NSA's first recording (terrible, horrible thing done standing around a single crappy mic), which we gave to our friends and family, one of our own group member's names was spelled wrong. We have like 150 copies of this disc where we forgot how to spell the poor guy's name.

Needless to say, that disc did not find its way to RARB. :-D
Neil Malek
NSA Alum
Neil

Postby seth » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:40 am

pujo wrote:come on, rating our secret track that is set to us being played backwards? its for fun. we dont do that in concert.

We were reviewing your album, not your concerts.
seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pujo » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:52 pm

Seth wrote:
pujo wrote:come on, rating our secret track that is set to us being played backwards? its for fun. we dont do that in concert.

We were reviewing your album, not your concerts.

i know captain, it doesnt look like you read my second post which covered that topic a little deeper.
to jsears- yall fixed your typo and i wish we could fix ours. same like with neils story. so no worries on that. as with all reviews and suritz' post, everyones gonna have things they agree with and disagree with.
have a good one.
pujo

Postby seth » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:58 pm

pujo wrote:its for fun cause it sounds weird and fun. not showing our talent which is why you rate a song on a cd.

We rate tracks so that people will know how good they are (in the opinion of the reviewers) . That includes many aspects, including how much fun they are to listen to. Whether the quality comes from talent, hard work, good engineering, or other circumstances are all interesting questions that we don't try to address in the track scores. If it's a great track, for whatever reasons, then hopefully the reviewers will give it a good score and everyone will be glad to know it's there.

pujo wrote:if we had a track of us thanking people, would it be rated on our pronunciation and enthusiasm? no.

I'm not sure what the criteria would be, but it would be rated. That's what we do with any audio you think is worth putting on the CD. If it were me, I'd rate that sort of track pretty low, since it's not something anyone would enjoy listening to very often.

The point is that you asked us to review an album with certain stuff on it. We reviewed that stuff. If you want us to ignore something, you need to make sure the other listeners out there will ignore it too, by leaving it off the album.
seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to zzCommunity Reviews