MIT Chorallaries, Bristol Studios and Viktor Kray

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

MIT Chorallaries, Bristol Studios and Viktor Kray

Postby cmasone » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:39 pm

Hey, all. Just read the reviews of the Chorallaries newest CD (which I've never heard), and felt that I needed to make a comment about Josh Diamant's complaint about crappy stuff coming out of "Viktor Kray's Bristol Studios". Having worked with Viktor in the past, and having talked to him much about the state of things over at Bristol, I just want to say that you shouldn't really call it "Viktor Kray's Bristol Studios" anymore. He still does some work with them, yes, but other folks manage it now and a lot of times they let other, much less experienced, engineers do a lot of recording, mixing, and mastering work. I don't know how much work he even did on the Corallaries CD.

So, don't let some crappy stuff coming out of Bristol lead you to believe that Viktor isn't a talented engineer. The Aires chose not to work with Bristol anymore after Interplanetairey (our 2000 release) because of the unprofessional behavior of their management and the sometimes crappy engineers they foisted off upon us. We worked directly with Viktor on Black Tie Affaire, and I think the accolades that album received speak for themselves.

Anyway, just wanted to say some nice things about Viktor and make it clear that "Bristol Studios" and "Viktor Kray" are not synonymous. The former have been jerks to us in the past, and the latter is a cool, talented engineer who's always done well by us, and who feeds me lots of meat and cheese every time I go down to have a mixing session with him.

Chris Masone
Dartmouth Aires 1999 - 200?
Recording Nazi
cmasone

Postby jsdiamant » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:54 am

thanks for clarifying that, Chris, and I apologize to all for my leap to judgment. could someone in upper management please remove "Viktor Kray's" from my review? thanks.

Joshua S. Diamant RARB '02-'05

jsdiamant

Re: MIT Chorallaries, Bristol Studios and Viktor Kray

Postby aballard » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:15 pm

cmasone wrote: (Viktor) is a cool, talented engineer who's always done well by us, and who feeds me lots of meat and cheese every time I go down to have a mixing session with him.

Word wordy McWord to that.

Viktor is a great guy, talented and fun to work with. And he's getting better and better and better at working with a cappella music, too (if the latest mixes from the upcoming Aires album are any indication -- they are eff-ing HOT. Not that I'm biased or anything). Highly recommended (Viktor, and Aires albums).

I loved mixing with him (and Chris) down at his place in Boston. I went for the music; I stayed for the sandwiches and the beer.
Adam Ballard
RARB
Dartmouth Aires '00
aballard
RARB
RARB

Postby JonLong » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:59 pm

Ok, a couple of points to clarify about our CD:

1) The recording was done in the studio that the MIT Logarhythms built on campus. The recording was completely done by ourselves, after two of us had taken a course on using ProTools. We probably didn't record as well as we could have with the program, but it was just straightforward individual recording. The vocal perc was recorded by Viktor at Bristol, but everything else was recorded at MIT.

2) We edited the audio files that we got and took them to Viktor. Viktor, to my knowledge, did all of the mixing. Some of this he did at Bristol, some he did at home on his own set-up. We probably could have done more on our own with the original files, but we had a deadline (see below) plus MIT classes to contend with, so time was a real issue. Viktor has a great ear for tuning, though.

3) The main problem that we had with mixing is that we simply ran out of time. We set a May deadline and stuck to it when the CD could have used more time in the mixing stage.

4) Chris, our CD isn't crappy. :-)

Viktor is indeed a very talented engineer and the problem was that we ran out of time. Obviously, if we had spent more time on the CD, then it would have been better. But we stuck to our deadline, instead. Anyway, overall, I'm still happy with the end result, and I'm pretty sure most of the rest of the Chorallaries feel the same way. All we can do now is learn from the reviews and make sure the problems we had with Staring Down the Infinite don't reappear on the next CD.
Jonathon Long
Recording Guy
Perc Monkey
Chorallaries of MIT
JonLong

Postby cmasone » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:59 pm

JonLong wrote:
3) The main problem that we had with mixing is that we simply ran out of time. We set a May deadline and stuck to it when the CD could have used more time in the mixing stage.

4) Chris, our CD isn't crappy. :-)

Yesyesyes, I didn't mean to imply your CD is crappy, as I said I've never heard it. However, I do know that there is some rather mediocre stuff coming out of Bristol these days...one of our all women's groups just finished a CD there that is pretty sucktastic. The two tracks that a friend of mine recorded and mixed here are easily the two best on the album.

I just wanted to make it clear that Bristol != Viktor, a point that you have helped me emphasize:-)

Chris Masone
Da Aires
Da Aires DaAires daaires daaires daaires (does Chris Farley Dance)
cmasone

Return to zzCommunity Reviews